PDA

View Full Version : Look Keo Classic Pedals

97CSI
05-26-2007, 04:42 AM
Anyone using these (or other models of the Keo)? What do you think? Any recommendations on them? How would you compare to their PP396 pedal? Thanks.

old_school
05-26-2007, 08:12 AM
I have been using Keos since they were first released: low stack height, easy access, and I have yet to clip out (accidentally). The only con that I can see is that the cleats wear very quickly from walking (get yourself a pair of cafe covers and use them diligently). The new mid float cleat seems to work best for me. I can't compare Keos to older Looks, but overall I have been very happy.

BumbleBeeDave
05-26-2007, 08:46 AM
. . . as prone to squeaking as the old ones?

BBD

rePhil
05-26-2007, 09:40 AM
I use "old" style Look 357's on 3 bikes. I have found that by giving the cleat contact area a squirt of Armor All after my rides the dreaded squeak stays away.

old_school
05-26-2007, 10:51 AM
. . . as prone to squeaking as the old ones?

Keo = squeek free (at least from my experience)

soulspinner
05-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Lighter and squeak free. Cleats wear. Maybe a little faster but Ive been using them since 1985 and these are the best yet. I like the mid float also....I have a set of 396 with miles I dont use anymore that are perfectly fine. The above poster is correct- a little lube in the right place and the squeak takes a vacation. I had a pair of pp196s that snapped while riding but they had a gazillion miles on em...

Bart001
05-26-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm buying some Keo's this weekend too. They'll replace my old SPDF system and I think I'll like them!

97CSI
05-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Which model? What will you be paying for them?

itsalldark
05-26-2007, 06:22 PM
No squeak----great action

97CSI
05-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Well, after getting off the bike after 45 miles with very hot feet today, I decided that the SPD pedals have to go. Paid $144 (shipped) on eBay for a NIB set of Keo Carbon w/cromoly spindles. Includes the cleat covers and cleats. I did put a set of Keo Classic pedals on a bike I built for my niece, but she is new to riding clipless and has put about 50 miles on them, which isn't much feedback.

Bart001
05-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I'll probably just go with the Classics. I don't really need to be paying $$$ for grams, and other than that, I'm sure the Classics will be fine.

97CSI
05-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Almost did that, as well. But, with $12 set of cleat covers tossed in, I went the extra $$. There is a set of NIB Classics for $79 (shipped) on eBay at the moment. I bought the pair for my neice's bike from him and was just fine.

Kahuna
05-27-2007, 03:58 AM
I just got a pair of 2007 Keo's (cro-moly steel model) from ebay and used them for the first time today along with a new pair of shoes (Specialized Pro Carbon - wow!)

For the inaugural break-in ride, I did a refreshing little hill climb up the Haleakala volcano on Maui. The shoes were magnificent, but that's another story. While the Keo's performed well, I was astonished to come home and find the bearings showed noticeable play on both pedals. This was just after this one 36 mile ride!

Also, like others have mentioned, the cleats seem to made of a much more delicate material than the older Look cleats. My brand new red arc cleats were literally deteriorating with small hunks of plastic chipped off them after this first ride. This was from going from the parking lot to the saddle and putting my foot down at intersections! This is not good!

What do do? I'll try taking apart the pedal spindles tomorrow and greasing them. I hope that will work. It's too bad. I had high hopes for these pedals. I like the light weight, stability and float. They seem more solid than the Speedplay X2s I've been using for the last 7 or 8 years.

-K

97CSI
05-27-2007, 05:01 AM
Had read in review that someone bought two pairs at two different times and got dry bearings both times. He knew to grease when the second pair arrived. Will be checking mine before putting them on the bike. Pretty poor quality control.

Steelhead
05-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Love mine. I use the grey cleat that has the medium float. Cleat covers a must and they drop right in my jersey pocket when i get ready to roll out. I have a friend that is a Look rep and he says that in the future/now new cleats have cleat covers included. I would rather just buy the cleats cause you will wear them out way before you do the covers. I have had one set of covers live through two cleats and now on the third.

Bart001
05-27-2007, 03:54 PM
I wore my Keo's for the first time today, and I'm not used to how slippery the cleats are compared to my old SPDF system. I really don't want to walk much/far in these! And my 'put one foot down' technique needs refining, as I can't be as nonchalant about it as I used to be, due to the slipperiness.

soulspinner
05-28-2007, 05:19 AM
When you put your foot down, bring it down on the heel cup first,then roll forward. The heel cup is rubber and as long as your not rolling much its more secure than the cleat in its grip of the road...

CalfeeFly
05-29-2007, 10:22 AM
What do do? I'll try taking apart the pedal spindles tomorrow and greasing them. I hope that will work. It's too bad. I had high hopes for these pedals. I like the light weight, stability and float. They seem more solid than the Speedplay X2s I've been using for the last 7 or 8 years.

-K

Gary...be careful how you handle this. If you do a search you will find that there is a history of spindles breaking on the Keo. The hypothesis is that the bearings have become loose, the person rode them that way, they weaken the spindle and it breaks. I did the search a few weeks ago out of curiosity since somebody I know had one break.

Kahuna
05-29-2007, 02:47 PM
This is a little disturbing but the theory seems to make sense. On another forum somebody reported they received their pedals "dry" and had to grease them.

After reading that, I took mine apart this morning and lo' and behold the inside was practically dry. In my case, each pedal was able to accept a heaping teaspoon size gob of Phil Wood grease inside the body surrounding the spindle where the needle and cartridge bearings slide in! This took up all the play and makes the pedals feel nice and smooth.

Fortunately the Keo's dissasemble easier than many other brands. You just use a closed 18mm star wrench and unscrew the collar and the spindle slides out from the body very easily.

Hopefully this will be the answer to keeping the Keo's functioning smoothly and safely for a long time. Looks sells thousands of these pedals and the spindles are guaranteed for life. Occaisional failures happen but I have to think if it were a widespread problem, Look would recall the pedals due to safetey concerns. The pedals have been on the market for a number of years and so far that hasn't happened.

Thanks for the kind note! :beer:

-K

Gary...be careful how you handle this. If you do a search you will find that there is a history of spindles breaking on the Keo. The hypothesis is that the bearings have become loose, the person rode them that way, they weaken the spindle and it breaks. I did the search a few weeks ago out of curiosity since somebody I know had one break.

CalfeeFly
06-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Gary...I found the link that concerned the Keo breakage. It even includes a representative from Look commenting. Keo at Weightweenies (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25110&highlight=spindle+broke)

Here is the Roadbike Review reference. It is strange if you read through all of them. Most people it seems love them or some had a problem. It was unusual.

Keo Roadbike Review (http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/drivetrain/pedals/look/PRD_326179_2503crx.aspx)

Climb01742
06-03-2007, 05:31 PM
used them for the first time today along with a new pair of shoes (Specialized Pro Carbon - wow!)

gary, sorry to drift the thread but i'm curious about the shoes. i'll be in the market soon for new shoes. thanks!

97CSI
06-05-2007, 03:13 PM
New Keo pedals just arrived. Certainly nice looking and bearings feel very smooth (not dry). Wish I had the time to put them and the cleats on before tonight's ride. But will have to wait until I get back. Will give me a chance to pull the spindles and insure that the bearings are greased.

97CSI
06-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Fortunately the Keo's dissasemble easier than many other brands. You just use a closed 18mm star wrench and unscrew the collar and the spindle slides out from the body very easily. -KAny suggestions on where to find an 18mm star wrench? I've come up empy on eBay and my LBS. Thanks.
Glenn

Erik.Lazdins
06-06-2007, 02:44 PM
I've ridden Keo (Keo Carbon body steel spindle) for the last 18 months and 10-11K miles. Pedals are still great - I replace cleats 3x per year. No play in the bearings.

I'd buy them again and will once the pedal body wears out enough to warrant replacement.

Kahuna
06-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Awesome shoes! And like my riding pal says, they just look so damn good! :cool:

I've experimented with a few different brands of shoes in the past and each time it was an utter and expensive disaster. It seemed I couldn't wear anything but Sidis. Then lately I started developing hotspots with my old Energys and decided to experiment once again. BTW, one test was a pair of Rocket 7 customs. Long story short I sent them back to Brian for a partial refund. He was nice about it, but I found the R7s nothing less than excruciating. Northwaves didn't work for me either so I gave up and went back to Sidi.

Another thing that prompted me to experiment again was I didn't like how my Speedplays were allowing my foot to rock side-to-side as the pedals got older. Since most new shoes have soles with a 3-hole Look standard, I figured I might as well try the Keos and see if I get a more stable platform since I had to replace my pedals anyway. This way too I wouldn't need to deal with baseplates, shims, adapters, etc. The new Looks definitely did the trick, and for me it was an easy transistion since I used Looks for many years prior to Speedplay.

As for the shoes, I searched around some. I knew what didn't work for me. I've also become more impressed with the soft goods coming from Specilized. I love my Toupe saddle and their shoes over the years have had a good repulation. Their new shoes have all the bells & whistles of zoot Italian racing shoes including light weight, carbon soles, fancy closures, stylish design, Etc. The Body Geometry footbed system seems to make sense and knowing I had high arches, I decided to give them a try and get teh `07 Pro Carbons and middle-high support footbeds.

To do this I used their online store and ordered 2 pairs a half size apart. Then I tried each pair on for size and sent the poorer fitting pair back for a refund.

Fully expecting this little experiment to end in disaster, the first day out I took them out for the ultimate test - a 10,000 foot climb up the Haleakala volcano on Maui. The shoes were amazing. Stiff, light, and positively the most comfortable I've ever experienced in a cycling shoe. More room in the toebox, no hotspots, noticeably lighter, stiffer and more stable. It was a tremendous relief knowing my search shoes is over and I can relax. And damn those shoes look good!

I got the white and red ones to match my kit!

gary, sorry to drift the thread but i'm curious about the shoes. i'll be in the market soon for new shoes. thanks!

97CSI
07-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Have gotten about 500 miles on the Keo pedals. Great results thus far. No hot foot with the Sidi 5.5 shoes. Out with the old and in with the new.

D-Squared
07-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Just wanted to throw in a different opinion about Rocket 7s. I love mine and wouldn't give them up for the world.
D2

Todd
07-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Look Keo Carbon Cro-Mo: $128.91 with free shipping.

Todd

97CSI
07-16-2007, 02:23 PM
I'll probably just go with the Classics. I don't really need to be paying $$$ for grams, and other than that, I'm sure the Classics will be fine.Also got a set of Classics for my flatland bike. Can't tell the difference.

That $128 price is best I've seen. Great pedal for the money with either the Carbon or Classic.

97CSI
07-16-2007, 02:23 PM
I'll probably just go with the Classics. I don't really need to be paying $$$ for grams, and other than that, I'm sure the Classics will be fine.Also got a set of Classics for my flatland bike. Can't tell the difference.

Look Keo Carbon Cro-Mo: $128.91 with free shipping.That $128 price is best I've seen. Great pedal for the money with either the Carbon or Classic.