PDA

View Full Version : Painted seatpost??

Z3c
05-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Ok, so I ordered a new frame today from a builder yet to be named(not Parlee). I am going to have it painted a solid color with clear/window decals that will show the carbon. So I was thinking, how would it look if the seatpost were painted to match the frame? I like the smooth lines of the seatmast frames but I think they are a bad idea from the practicality viewpoint. Anyway, looking for some thoughts here; basically it is pretty low risk other than a seatpost..

TIA,

Scott

Steelhead
05-24-2007, 09:56 PM
I would wonder how the paint would hold up under the pressure of the seatpost clamp? Even at low Nm clamping, it seems like paint applied to aluminum or carbon fiber would stress fracture being clamped under a seat tube clamp and over time not work. Who knows - I've never seen a painted seatpost. Powder Coating might be more durable...

Z3c
05-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Yea, I am not too sure about the durability.. One plus is that I know my saddle height and won't be raising/lowering it..

Thanks,

Scott

musgravecycles
05-24-2007, 10:27 PM
not a problem with a carbon post. We've painted quite a few of them to match frames over the last couple of years.

Just be sure the painter doesn't build to many layers or else it will change the size of the post. We always wet sanded the existing clear coat, put color directly on top of that, and then a nice purdy clear...

Z3c
05-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Hello Musgrave,

Would you have any pics??

Thanks,

Scott

wasfast
05-25-2007, 09:05 AM
If the color is under clear and not too thick, it'll be fine. Most carbon posts have clear coats anyway. I'd have to assume the builder is using newer catalyst activated clears.

Frustration
05-25-2007, 10:38 AM
This was at Weight Weenies forum....

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/tech/lynskeytest.jpg

Not carbon bike, but painted to match carbon post...

Steelhead
05-25-2007, 10:46 AM
This was at Weight Weenies forum....

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/tech/lynskeytest.jpg

Not carbon bike, but painted to match carbon post...

Whats up with the cheesy Bontrager decal on the inside of the chain stay? Must have come with those bottle cages or something.

Kinda says: "Hey - I was so excited when I saw this free sticker that I slapped it on my custom painted custom Lynsky ti bike." :rolleyes:

Steelhead
05-25-2007, 12:02 PM
hang on - looks like the stem/seatpost are Bontragers. I thought they were Zipp at first glance. Still kinda looks out of place, but I guess I'm kinda minimalist.