PDA

View Full Version : Owner’s Weekend memories and ride report!

BumbleBeeDave
06-13-2004, 03:47 PM
Well, I’m back home after the arduous 20 mile drive down Route 50, while many others are still either on the road themselves or installed in their Saratoga motels, moaning and rubbing their aching legs and well-stuffed tummies.

It was a wonderful weekend, as expected. Weather could not have been more perfect . . . highs in the mid-70’s both days and light winds, and almost perfectly clear skies. I did the 55 mile ride Saturday, feeling much better than I had any right to, considering the pace we were doing and the fact I had just done 50 miles of hills Thursday night. We did a brief regroup stop every 10-12 miles and that made all the difference. Our average for the ride was 18.2.

This morning was a 40 miler, including the inevitable dodging of deer on the Saratoga Battlefield loop road. This one was more of an Advil special for me and by the time we were done I was pretty well fried like the Colonel’s chicken, though I’m sure EVERYONE else was still fresh as a daisy. Average for this, uh, “invigorating” morning jaunt was 17.8 . . .

I would be remiss if I didn’t thank Ben for his hospitality, free beer, food, and good cheer, and thank all his employee’s and friends who gave of their time and labor over the weekend to help us all have a good time.

My top ten favorite things about owner’s weekend . . .

1) Ginger’s new Kirk bike . . . curved seatstays, canti brakes, beautiful paintjob. What a CHERRY bike! :D

2) Bill Bove’s wonderful delusion that his bike was built by elves in a large hollow tree, evidence to the contrary on the factory tour be damned! :crap:

3) Bill’s appetite at the Saratoga Diner . . . FIVE pancakes, Bill??? :eek:

4) Kind cancellation of their attendance by the Swedish Bikini Team so I could keep my focus on riding . . . :crap:

5) The look of a man narrowly saved from certain death on Smiley’s face as he climbed off the tandem at the bottom of the Spier Falls Hill in the parking lot of Betty Beaver’s truck stop and diner. The lot was redolent of the odor of smoking tandem drum brakes . . .

6) All the kind motorists who stopped to let us cross/ride/wobble in front of them at intersections.

7) The alternating looks of near panic and near apoplexy on the face of Serotta Steve Saturday as he lived to regret promising a “no-drop” ride.

8) The entertaining hand motions of Serotta Jason on the same ride as he either A) tried to dry his nail polish or B) tried to help Steve keep the group together.

9) The realization whenever Sandy caught up with us at rest stops that there really IS a cyclist in the world who sweats more than me!

10) And my absolute favorite . . . The compliment paid to Ben and his bikes at the Parting Glass by RABikes2 . . . I would repeat it here, but she is still in town and would no doubt hunt me down and do horrible things to me if she by chance found out I had spilled the beans!

BBDave

Kevin
06-13-2004, 04:03 PM
I am jealous of all of you. I was stuck home on dance recital detail and entertaining family from out of town. I am glad to hear that it went so well.

Kevin

William
06-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Man! Wish I could have gone. Unfortunatly I just logged on to the forum last week and found out about it. Mrs. William not fond of short notice jaunts. :no:
Glad it was a succsess! Maybe next year.

William

Smiley
06-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Spier Falls , the demons have been exorcised away . Karen and I proved that this is a family ride that can be done on a tandem . And yes our computer said 17.3 mph when the dust had settled . Smoked some brake pads when the down hill speed reached 45 mph and we started to feather the drum brake when all awhile Steve was telling me to let her loose. I would have but my brain was still faint from the climb up the freaking hill. Greg from NC said it was 650 ft tall in 1 mile distance , is that correct?

Thanks Ben and company and that's to all that worked the weekend to make it fun for us. Jayson and Steve , that was not work riding with us was it ?? :banana:

hypnos
06-13-2004, 09:00 PM
I wish to echo the words of everyone else. What a wonderful weekend! We were blessed with beautiful weather, great cycling and interesting company. It was nice to match live faces to some of the forum handles.

The end of my visit to Saratoga Springs was a bit frustrating. About 35 miles into my trip home I stopped to get soda. It was then that I realized that my wallet was missing. The last place I remembered seeing it was while changing cloths at the factory. Drove back to the Serotta factory and only two people were still there... Ben Serotta and RABikes2. Unfortunately no one had found my wallet. Bummer!!!! Ben was nice enough to loan me some gas money and off I went, pouting all the way home. Upon arriving back home there was message from Lorraine in Saratoga Springs.... she had found my wallet. Yippy!!! I had driven off with my wallet sitting on top of my car, and Lorraine saw it blow off. She retrieved the wallet and found my home phone number inside on the Ottrott raffle ticket. How fortunate I was.

BumbleBeeDave
06-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Is this “Lorraine” married? If not, does she live in the Saratoga area? I would not have to make an “honest woman” out of her, because she already is!

BBDave

shinomaster
06-14-2004, 02:16 AM
next year I'll get my act together and fly my sorry invalid ass out there for some pure joy..

Until then,

"Same serotta time, same serotta channel"

Ha ha...love love always..

See you soon Ben! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Len J
06-14-2004, 08:45 AM
Although I still have crazy stripes in my vision when I close my eyes from being behind BBDave in a paceline. (Just kidding)

It was great putting faces behind the names.......definatly worth the 6.5 hour car ride.

Thanks also to Smiley & Mrs. Smiley for the "Tow" up and back.

Len

Sandy
06-14-2004, 09:54 AM
The rides, the cyclists, those from Serotta, Ben Serotta, Saratoga Springs, Mrs. Sandy, and the weather, all combined to make the weekend truly a rewarding and wonderful experience, to say the least.

I had a great 34 mile ride with Hypnos on Friday. The 57 mile Saturday ride was simply super, showing that cyclists of varying abilities could ride together, look out for each other, keep the group relatively close, and simply have a marvelous time. Steve, Jayson, and a few others, simply did a super Serotta job in making sure that the group was a cohesive one, and that all were safe, and were having a great ride. There were at least 4-5 riders, who, at any time they wanted, could have simply taken off, never to be seen again, until they lapped the group again, but they always held back, which was greatly appreciated by me, and undoubtedly others within the group.

It is obvious, that by simply observing the Serotta "employees" in their home environment, that there is a real passion at Serotta, not only for producing some of the very finest bikes in the world, but for always looking ahead in order to be innovative and ahead of the curve. But even more importantly, it is most obvious that Mr. Ben Serotta has surrounded himself with not only individuals most capable of performing their Serotta tasks in a most competent manner, but in addition, and equally important, these Serotta "employees" seem to possess a genuine warmth, friendliness, sincerity, and helpfulness, too often not seen in "corporate America". Ben Serotta is really a special person, who was a most gracious host. I genuinely appreciate his most kind, sincere, and warm manner he projected to Mrs. Sandy (Gloria).

After buying my CSi in 1998, joining a local cycling club, and meeting and riding with many wonderful cyclists, like Smiley and the first mate, I have increased my riding miles, and expanded my Serotta cycling passion greatly. I never envisioned coming to Serotta and sharing rides with other Serotta cyclists, since I never considered it possible to ride well enough to do such.

Thanks all for a truly wonderful time, shared by both Gorgeous Giving Gloria and STill Serotta Sandy. :) :) :) :)

Sandy
06-14-2004, 10:05 AM
Stinger,

A few years ago, I wasn't capable of doing the Saturday ride. I rode "within myself", and averaged 17.3 mph. I am going to lose 25-30 pounds, and improve. So perhaps next time, you won't have to wait for me. Maybe I will be waiting for you. I will undoubtedly be perspiring just as much. Great seeing and riding with you and all of the others.

Somewhat Slow Still Serotta Sandy :banana: :banana:

Climb01742
06-14-2004, 10:12 AM
surely there must be a stronger, more emphatic word than "ditto". but for now, ditto on all that's been said above.

a most wonderful weekend. meeting phorum members was wonderful. riding in the countryside near the factory was remarkably beautiful.

most striking, perhaps, though, was sharing in a rather unique passion. i can't imagine that many other brands inspire the bond that serotta owners feel for the company. of course, i can equally not imagine many other brands being worthy of such a connection.

ben and kelly and company are damn special. listening to kelly give a factory tour is to understand the deep, true, uncompromising drive they all have to build perfect frames. i was lucky enough to talk to ben for a while sunday. my admiration for him, and the company he's created, grew even greater.

thank you to everyone at serotta who helped make the weekend so great. and may i encourage any owner who hasn't been to an owners weekend to definitely go. you'll dig it.

one last thing. don't ever trust sandy if he says he hasn't been training. he's the velvet hammer. the dude can ride. ;)

Bruce K
06-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Sandy:

You "thief wanna-be" !! ;)

How many hands do you have today, one or two? Did your hand with the integrity properly punish the hand with the thieving heart? :rolleyes:

It was great to meet you and share the road for a while. I am truly looking forward to doing again.

Bruce K

Sandy
06-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Great to have finally meet you. Now I know where your name Climb comes from. The red polka dot jersey is very applicable to you. You surely do climb quite well.

Mountain Man Mirman :banana: :banana:

Climb01742
06-14-2004, 10:43 AM
sandy, i had to climb fast just to keep up with mrs. smiley!!!

you're an inspiration to us all, sandy. your lungs and your heart.

Sandy
06-14-2004, 10:47 AM
I only have one hand. But you fooled me with the pink bike. I never knew that your Parlee and your Ottrott were still there. My left hand says to ask the man for his address. What is your address? Somehow, Bruce, I think that no one but you and I will understand either one of our posts.

Still Looking for the Ottrott and the Parlee,

Sandy

Sandy
06-14-2004, 11:15 AM
First Mate,

Hope that your neck is feeling better after the weekend.

Sandy

Dekonick
06-14-2004, 11:43 AM
Sounds like everybody had a great time. I had to work, and I doubt I could have kept up with most of you anyway!

Perhaps after another year of training I will make it out - DEPENDING on the big boss (Mrs.) and the employer (not terribly understanding about leave requests. Such is life.) :rolleyes:

Bruce K
06-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Yes Sandy, Bill Bove's pink Colorado AL makes great camoflage.

And while it may be said there are many times when some people don't understand waht we are talking about, you are correct, there are probably only about 4 or 5 people who understand what we are talking about THIS TIME.

BK

Len J
06-14-2004, 12:31 PM
and chuckled along with Bruce.

It was my pleasure riding with you and the rest of the group........the final few miles on Sunday with you & Climb was a highlight.

Len

Smiley
06-14-2004, 07:33 PM
This is Mrs Smiley aka First Mate, Smiley's "Better" Half, or Saturday's Stoker Extraordinaire...
What a great time I had this weekend -- Beautiful weather, great cycling routes, gracious hospitality from Ben, Marci and the Serotta Family and most importantly a chance to meet all these forum characters that Smiley goes on and on and on about. My hats of to Steve and Jason for "herding us cats", but I've come to the conclusion that the tandem also helped keep the group together on Saturday's ride. The hammers got a good workout CHASING us on the downhills and everybody felt sorry for us on the uphills! To the gentlemen on Sunday's short ride (Sandy, Bruce, Climb, Len and even Smiley), thanks for letting this lady have some room to run out front and see the scenary for a change. I think maybe I'm ready for my next Serotta... ;) hint hint Honey!

Sandy
06-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Smiling Skilled Superstar Serotta Spinners Satisfyingly Seriously Spinning Supersonic Speedy Super Stable Solid Supreme Scintillating Sensational Serottas. Some Sharp Stunning Steel Serottas. Some Striking Steelless Serottas. Simply Superlative Serottas.

Seni~or Serotta: So Savy, So Sophisticated, So Sensitive, So Sincere!!!!

Setting: Scenic Sunny Saratoga Springs

Some Simple Spinning. Some Steep Spinning. Some Significantly Steep Spinning. Some Significantly Scarey Steep Spinning.

Simply Sublime Serotta Spinning.

Sometimes Slow Sometimes Speedy Sometimes Serious Sometimes Silly,

:banana: STill Serotta Sandy :banana:

Sandy
06-15-2004, 08:34 AM
I really like those dancing bananas. They keep going and going and going and are always in perfect sync with one another. If you ever get bored with them, peel the unlucky critters and eat them.

:banana::banana: Fruit Salad Sandy :banana: :banana:

M_A_Martin
06-15-2004, 10:23 AM
I stopped in at Beverly's Monday morning for breakfast. Beverly's is a cute little restaurant with really good breakfast! I was in and out in under a half hour on Monday (and the restaurant was almost full...).

There might be a wait on Saturday and Sunday, but the place was anything but pretentious...

Sandy
06-15-2004, 10:31 AM
It is now Tuesday, I believe. Gloria and I are enjoying Saratoga Springs so much that we are staying over until Wednesday. We are even going out with the bee hive dweller and his lovely daughter tonight for dinner.

Do you think that I can bill Serotta or Mr. Ben Serotta for the additional expenses for these extra days???

Gloria and I enjoyed Doc's Steakhose so much on Sunday that we ate dinner again there last night.

I need a loan and I need it now. Which one of my fellow forum members will come through for me??? Wish that I had found Hypnos's wallet. It would have been a little lighter when he got it back, if he got it back.

Hypnos, I really enjoyed riding with you, as I said. It was my pleasure.

Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
06-15-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure BBGeneva and I really should show up this evening, in view of your posted threat in the image gallery to VAPORIZE me!

BAD Sandy! Bad boy! . . . :no:

I believe I may have to break out my Corbomite clothing! If you are an old Star Trek fan, then you know what that means. If you are not, then when we meet THIS time, the advantage will be MINE! BWA-HA-HA-HA!!!

BBDave--Evil Genius

Bill Bove
06-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Yes indeed, I did enjoy meeting all of you.

I had a short delay at Logan airport in Boston on my way home. If you ever have to pass through there, be forwarned, they do not air condition the place. They refrigerate it! Brrr. And my bags were checked so I couldn't dig out that wonserful fleece sweater that I bought at the factory store. I got of the plane back home in West Palm Beach and it was like stepping into a furnace. My feet stuck to the melting pavement. A bird flying by burst into flames. It's great to be home. :banana:

I cannot thank Bruce K and his lovely wife Nancy enough for their hospitality, I would not have made the the trip if not for your generous offer. Thanks.

Sandy, thanks for putting me in that rocket group, yes I did hold back at times to stay with the group but it was worth it. I can go hard any time but how often can I ride with you trying to make rhymes?

I did have a good time, can't wait till next year!

Sandy
06-15-2004, 05:01 PM
I must admit that your combination of bike, outfit, water bottles etc. was hard to beat.

Sandy

Bill Bove
06-15-2004, 06:10 PM
The little, short people with the pointy ears in the hollow tree at Hincapie Sports are weaving the MANgenta lycra for the matching shorts, gloves and shoe covers right now. I was bummed that they weren't ready for the week end.

When I went opened the shop this morning Whitey didn't make a peep, nice to know I was missed. But when I went back to where her food bowl is...

M_A_Martin
06-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Drive (Get lost in Canada...missed exit) Ride Party
Breakfast Shop Ride Party
Breakfast Ride Shop Party
Drive (Get lost in Canada...wrong turn, I'm meant to never see Niagra...but I had a nice drive in the park)

and no, I'm still not unpacked, but I have gone for another ride or so...

Sandy
06-17-2004, 07:47 AM
I realize how much I really love cycling and doing it on a Serotta bicycle. The weekend only increased this passion of cycling and my admiration of Serotta bicycles and those that produce them. The Serotta cyclists, themselves, seem to be a special group.

S E R O T T A S A N D Y