PDA

View Full Version : OT : Faucets

Smiley
05-24-2007, 06:20 PM
My bathroom faucet is leaking around the Hot water knob, when I turn it on it leaks around the base of the decoractive knob so I am sure it has a gasket that is shot. My questions to you my trusty friends, buy a new replacement faucet or remove this one and does anybody have a inkling if these are rebuildable. Many thanks Smiley

Bud_E
05-24-2007, 06:28 PM
I always either hurt myself and/or cost myself lots of money when I attempt to fix my plumbing. :crap:

Chief
05-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Sounds to me like water is leaking past the the packing and the latter needs to be replaced. Shut off water, take handle off, screw out valve stem, clean stem, repack (rerap) with teflon packing tape and reverse the process. Hope this works for you.

Birddog
05-24-2007, 07:05 PM
What brand is it? If it is a 20/25 years old or less and one of the mainstream brands (Delta, Moen, Price Phister) then replacement parts are readily available. Some Delta parts are even carried by some Wal-Marts. Take out the offending parts usually plastic and take them with you when getting replacements. Before taking out the parts make sure your supply valves are off (you knew that though didn't you). Before reaching under the cabinet and starting to do this, make sure your jeans are hanging low and your T shirt is a little on the short side so that Mrs Smiley will be able to see the professional mid torso cleavage and insure your success. Sometimes coupling together expletives in a creative manner help to get you through the ordeal.

Birddog

Here's one you don't see all the time.

http://www.fileitunder.com/uploaded_images/unexpected_plumbers_crack-702689.jpg

Bud
05-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Here's one you don't see all the time.

Actually, you see that a lot if you're on a college campus these days :)

+1 on Birddog's advice, though. Shut the water off, take out that valve assembly, go to Lowe's or wherever, and get replacement parts. Unless you are looking for an excuse to put in a new faucet...

rwsaunders
05-24-2007, 07:32 PM
A lot of the newer fixtures have ceramic washers which can be a bear to deal with. The older fixtures, if a name brand like a previous post indicated, have replacement parts available. Make the missus happy and find a good plumber (easier said than done) and let him/her do the work. That way you can spend more time on your bike.

Remember..."Old plumbers never die...they just smell that way." I love that quote.

By the way, plumbers call what the young lady presents in the photograph, a pencil holder...for when you're working under the sink.

rounder
05-24-2007, 09:01 PM
A lot of the newer fixtures have ceramic washers which can be a bear to deal with. The older fixtures, if a name brand like a previous post indicated, have replacement parts available. Make the missus happy and find a good plumber (easier said than done) and let him/her do the work. That way you can spend more time on your bike.

Remember..."Old plumbers never die...they just smell that way." I love that quote.

By the way, plumbers call what the young lady presents in the photograph, a pencil holder...for when you're working under the sink.

There is a lot of good advice there...especially if the weather is good. As an alternate, you can always sell the place and move to another with good roads/weather/plumbing (not real handy at that stuff myself). Hope that is helpfull.