PDA

View Full Version : let's talk about bikes -- i need new tires for my serotta

gt6267a
12-25-2003, 12:51 AM
I want to do something old school, talk about my bike and get some advice from the group.

my bike is a serotta CRL, steel lugged frame. it's white with campy record and a steel fork. so there is no confusion, i love my bike.

i bought a set of wheels with open 4 cd rims and record hubs. the nos casette i bought arrived a few days ago and these babies are close to seeing the pavement.

they need rubber. my riding is mostly in eastern pa. this means stretches of flat, 1-2 mile climbs and descents every so often. the road itself varies from smooth paths to chip seal ... via luck and attention to the road, i have not had many problems with flats.

i do not race though i do some group rides. comfort is a very high priority.

so far, ranked in order of preference, i have tried.

rubino pro
open corse cx tt
axial carbon

before i pick up a set of the rubino pros, i am wondering if there any other tires to check out?

anyone have a favorite tire that is should consider?

Kevin
12-25-2003, 05:40 AM
I think you may be on the wrong forum. This is no longer a bicycle forum, it is a soap opera forum. However, I will follow your lead and try to get back to a bicycle topic.

I have tried the three tires that you are considering. They are all very good tires. I like the open corsca cx tts the best. They have a very nice ride and they are bullet proof. I thought the rubinos had a hard ride. I had flat issues with the axials.

Continental ultra 2000s are an inexpensive alternative to the three tires you are considering. Thought the Vittoria corsca's are my first choice.

Kevin

Climb01742
12-25-2003, 05:54 AM
hey, will you guys please stop cluttering up this soap opera with cycling digressions?

my two cents--open corsa's are really nice. as kevin said, bulletproof without being harsh. what's nice about tires is, they aren't that costly and are easy to switch, so maybe get two of the three you mentioned and do a little back-to-back. having a spare tire or two around is always useful.

Johny
12-25-2003, 06:12 AM
Hey, don't switch the channel... OK, I hate the soap opera anyway.

I've always liked open corsa although the threads wear a bit quickly.

I have a pair of axial carbon but use them very little so cannot really say much. They do ride like the axial pro's, which are very durable but very difficult to mount (please, tyre god, no more flats).

dnovo
12-25-2003, 06:20 AM
The best combination of ride, handling and overall feel will be the Open Corsa. The only hesitation that some members have had was for the slightly older version that they complained flatted too easily or was too fragile. The newer version has been a vast improvement. Also, as pointed out in a thread on the old forum, a company rep said that for street riding, going beyond 120 psi added little to handling, made them ride too hard, and was a major cause of flats. He suggested 112-116 (as I recall) and most of us who use them find that this works just fine.

They will wear faster because their slightly softer composition will wear away quicker, a trade off for better ride and performance. No free lunch in tires or in life.

I would vote for the Rubinos second. I started out on those and the Mich. Pro Race. Liked the Rubinos better and still have them on some bikes.

Again, the only carping seems to be made in Thailand vs. some of the made in Italy brands such as Veloflex or Gommitalias. Both of the latter are supposed to be very good also and have their proponents here. I frankly don't care if the Open Corsa and Rubino are made in Thailand or on Mars, they are excellent tires.

Just, as one of our other members would say, 'keep the rubber side down.'

Merry Christmas. Dave N.

Bruce H.
12-25-2003, 08:20 AM
T also ride in Eastern Pa (Bucks cty)
I am now using Michelin pro race and love them. Had Axial pro and was disappointed with wear as well as weight.
Bruce H.

Smiley
12-25-2003, 08:51 AM
Anybody got a link where the Captain can procure tires CHEAP. Thanks as I am interested in getting some of these recommendations but want to buy them cheaper than what I pay for tires on my Maxima. Thanks

victoryfactory
12-25-2003, 09:04 AM
I tried the Axial Carbon this summer. They lasted about 200 miles before they were all cut up (I ride in the broken glass capital of the world, NYC)

Since it seems like the fancier the tire, the sooner it blows out, I've been using the Forte pro SL (about $24.99 on sale, smooth tread) and the Forte Pro Kevlar ($27.99 more tread, heavier) from performancebike.com
Not bad and they last better where I ride.
VF

Kevin
12-25-2003, 09:06 AM
Smiley,

There are two websites that come to mind. The first is Best Bike Buys, there website is:

http://bestwebbuys.com/bikes/index.cfm

The second is Biketiresdirect.com.

Personally I usually purchase my tires at the LBS so that I have an excuse to go in and buy something else as well. My wife falls for it every time.

Kevin

Larry
12-25-2003, 09:26 AM
Hutchinson Carbon Comp.
I have used them for several years.
They are very comfortable, and I have experienced very few flats.
Some folks report that they wear out quickly. Who knows? .... and it certainly depends on road conditions.
I really!!!! like this particular tire.

Happy Holidays from Dallas and the Richardson Bike Mart.

Larry

OldDog
12-25-2003, 10:20 AM
No mention of the Grand Prix's here...I ride in North Eastern PA, rough roads at best, holes, steep curvy decents. 195#. Conti's have served me well. Michlens have been very short lived and flat prone for me. Have yet to try any of the newer tires.

Any I should consider that will be durable and still offer a big gee-wiz factor?

Merry to all!

Larry
12-25-2003, 10:27 AM
Dear Spinner,

I like the Hutchinson better than the Grand Prix 3000.
But..... the GP 3000 is a very good tire.

gt6267a
12-25-2003, 10:28 AM
thanks for all the replies. i went to the vittoria web site and found that there are many versions on the same tires.

open corsa evo ks
open corsa evo cx
open corsa evo kx

i see from the web site images that there are grooves or slightly different textures on the exterior sections. are these the only differences? these appear to be mostly cosmetic? maybe relevant in the rain? Also, why are all the tires labeled TT? They cannot mean Time Trial?

Anyone with experience with the open corsa line and the hutchinson tires such as the ones Larry mentioned?

thanks,
k

Ken Robb
12-25-2003, 11:35 AM
I have been surprised how well Conti UltraGatorskins ride and they are VERY flat-resistant--none yet despite pulling some ugly glass shards from the tread area. I used to ride Open Corses too and liked the ride. Not many flats even with some scary-looking cuts in the tread.

Sandy
12-25-2003, 11:58 AM
gt6267a,

The Vittoria Open Corsa EVO tiresare replacements for the older Open Corsa CX tires:

OPEN CORSA EVO-CX- Direct replacement for the Open Corsa CX
OPEN CORSA EVO-KS- Slick, no file center tread like the CX
OPEN CORSA EVO- KX- More aggressive side tread design and thicker center section

The EVO CX looks and feels like the older CX, the KS simply is the slick version, and the KX is different, as noted, in that it has a significantly thicker center section and aggressive side tread design. All tires are suppose to be more puncture resistant than the older Open Corsa CX tires because the new ones incorporate Kevlar particles, and the durability is suppose to be 30 percent greater, per info I was told by the Vittoria distributor. I believe, if I remember correctly, that the web site says that they each weigh 230 grams in a 700X23 size, but I believe that is for the CX and KS, but the KX weighs 245 grams. I am using the KX and am very satisfied with them. They are much less cut and puncture prone than the previous Open Corsa tires. They are expensive, with a list price of around $55. You can buy them all for around $32.50 at TotalCycling.com. I buy them from my LBS for much more, only because I believe in supporting my independent dealer. Total Cycling price includes a tube, but not shipping. Their cycling prices are simply superior. Tires state 8-10 bars, which I believe is 120-150 psi. The Vittoria site says max of 180 psi, if I remember correctly. But those numbers are very, very high. Most people use them, that I know, at max of 115 or less. I use them at about 125in rear and 120 in front, since I am a heavy rider. If you use Mavic rims, I don't believe that you are suppose to exceed 138 psi, per Mavic. It is nice to talk bikes and not what we have been witnessing lately. If you do use these tires you must pay me $10 per tire for the info I am giving you. We are using the SHS-Serotta Honor System here. Actually, I am just kidding, as I am sure that you know.

Kevin
12-25-2003, 12:07 PM
gt6267a,

When they stopped producing the Open Corsa CX last year I went to the Open Corsa EVO-CX. It is a great tire. Rides similiar to the old Corsa and stands up better to road debris. Despite the higher psi rating I keep them in the 115-120 psi range. You won't go wrong choosing it as your every day tire.

Kevin

rwl
12-25-2003, 12:14 PM
A vote for Velomax Pave. I had horrible luck when I first tried them a couple of years ago - but I think it was just bad luck and a bit of underinflation. Thereafter, they've been great.

And they ride closer to sewups than any other clincher I've tried. I suspect its the tread, a tad softer rubber, and a flexible carcass (the tires, not mine).

Rick

kelmeboyAZ
12-25-2003, 12:57 PM
In AZ I have had great luck with Michelin ProRace (light blue), Gommitalia Calypso (red/tan) and most recently and perhaps the best with Gommitalia Targa (red/tan 22mm).

The Michelin ProRace are arguably the most comfortable at 105 psi, and have had 1 or 2 flats in 4000mi. The Gommi Calypsos are durable and comfy. The Gommitalia Targas I've only had for 500mi, but handle and ride very well. No flats yet!

RDP
12-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Veloflex Paves....as mentioned in the archives, contact Danny at Critusa@aol.com for a wide selection of clinchers & tubbies.

djg
12-26-2003, 06:58 PM
Just before the commercial, when the over-ripe music was playing, and sturm was about to run off with drang, I still preferred the Vittoria Opens.

Never tried the Veloflex Paves, although some folks swear by them. I tend to order my tires from, e.g., total cycling or sdeals. I've also dealt with texas cyclesport, labicicletta, worldclasscycles, and, when the planets line up just right, performance.

seingalt
12-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Just curious. Has anyone tried the new iteration of the Clement tires or have any information regarding them.

Depending on the time of year, I prefer the Vittoria CX, Veloflex Pave and epecially the Vredestein Fortezza's.

Recently I rode and enjoyed Schwalbe Stelvio's.

BumbleBeeDave
12-26-2003, 09:36 PM
I wondered how you were paying for that Ottrott, you naughty boy, you! :no:

BBDave

PS . . . dnovo said <<The best combination of ride, handling and overall feel will be the Open Corsa. The only hesitation that some members have had was for the slightly older version that they complained flatted too easily or was too fragile.>>

That’s my opinion exactly. I have Rubinos now but will be switching to the Corsa EVO CX before spring arrives. . . . BBD

glaucman
12-27-2003, 07:15 AM
I have been pleased with the price/service of Total Cycling.

http://www.totalcycling.com/

I ride Open Corsa CX EVO's and have no complaints.

Ozz
12-27-2003, 09:36 AM
I've always ridden Conti's, and have been happy with the ride, although the sidewalls on the old Gran Prix's were pretty fragile. No problems so far with the GP 3000's.

I have been tempted to try the Gommitalias just to try something new.

www.biketiresdirect.com seems to have good prices, although I have never ordered from them.

I only go thru one set of tires per year, so I just go to the LBS for them.