PDA

View Full Version : Chamois creme

rwsaunders
05-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Do you regular users find this product to be of value? Does it effect the longevity of your shorts as well?

LegendRider
05-24-2007, 01:27 PM
It definitely minimizes saddle sores for me. I use Assos.

gasman
05-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Assos-works the best and the tingle is great :D

trophyoftexas
05-24-2007, 01:40 PM
...really uncomfortable saddle sores during Hellweek made me a believer! I'd never had that type of problem before and I'm still not sure of the cause, I just know that I don't want to have to go through that again and won't, I'll do the 'needle thing' before I try to ride in that condition again. Now I use Assos cream before every ride that I wear shorts....if I ride naked I don't use it! However, I've found that to powder up pretty well in "that area" with a baby powder that is mostly corn starch works just about as well....only drawback is you get powder everywhere!

Climb01742
05-24-2007, 01:47 PM
assos is great...and priced accordingly. i found this stuff called "udderly smooth" that works just as well, but is much cheaper. it's at cvs and trader joe's.

wasfast
05-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Looks like Assos is leading by a large margin. I didn't find it to work very well for me. The thin consistency means it disappears quickly and plus seems very water soluable, not a good thing here. I also DON'T like the tingle.

I use Bag Balm. Inexpensive, can be found at most drug stores, and a tin lasts a long time. I use it for every ride, 4-5 days a week, all year long. A tin will last me nearly a year.

Application method varies as well. Some apply it to the chamois then put on their shorts. Others apply it to their skin, but not on the shorts. I'm the latter.

Ray
05-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Looks like Assos is leading by a large margin. I didn't find it to work very well for me. The thin consistency means it disappears quickly and plus seems very water soluable, not a good thing here. I also DON'T like the tingle.

I use Bag Balm. Inexpensive, can be found at most drug stores, and a tin lasts a long time. I use it for every ride, 4-5 days a week, all year long. A tin will last me nearly a year.

Application method varies as well. Some apply it to the chamois then put on their shorts. Others apply it to their skin, but not on the shorts. I'm the latter.
Same experience. Bag Balm is longer lasting and better more lubrication. I use it for every long ride and a lot of short ones. I keep a container of Assos around and if I feel like I'm getting the beginning of a saddle sore, I'll put some on at night and its invariably fine in the morning. I do like the tingle in that context, but I don't like that stuff for riding.

-Ray

dekindy
05-24-2007, 02:10 PM
I had not used this product in 20 years of riding but began investigating it in preparation for the RAIN (162-mile Ride Across INdiana) and will now not ride without it.

Chamois Buttr for rides of 50 miles or less. Bag Balm for longer rides. Or just buy some Bag Balm period (at any pharmacy).
http://www.bagbalm.com/

bcm119
05-24-2007, 02:10 PM

I agree about Assos being too thin... I like Butt Butt'r. If funny names are any indicator, Bag Balm must work really well.

mflaherty37
05-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Assos was Dr. Doofus approved.

regularguy412
05-24-2007, 02:19 PM
I used to use Udder Cream on my shorts that had 'real' chamois in them; mainly just to soften the surface during the early part of a ride. The real chamois shorts didn't seem to have the 'anti-microbial' treatment of the imitation chamois shorts; so I also started using just plain ole Neosporin on my sit-bone area -- both for sliding comfort and for saddle sore prevention. The Neosporin is antibacterial and it's not waterbased. It stays on no matter how long I ride. I still use it when wearing my older shorts on the trainer.

The newer style (for want of a better term) 'foam' chamois found in Pearl Izumi and Descente shorts are supposed to be treated to help prevent saddle sores. I do not use any type of lubricant/antibacterial when I wear this type of short. It seems these newer styles move 'with' your body, as opposed to the older style sliding 'against' your body. The good part about the Descente pad is that it's not sewn in with stitches, it's sort of 'welded' at the edge-- therefore, no seam to chafe.

Mike in AR

benb
05-24-2007, 02:55 PM
There is another product called "Body Glide" which is about the consistency of a solid deodorant, but a little thicker.

It works really well if you *don't* already have a saddle sore. If you do already have a saddle sore it doesn't work as well as a cream.

However for me the creams seem to disappear really really fast especially if you get caught in the rain.

coylifut
05-24-2007, 03:11 PM
I use just about everything. There's never a time when I can go without any lube what so ever. In the winter, because I'm not out very long I use private label Noxema which is about $3 for a cylinder. During the season, if it's dry I use assos or chamois buttr. However, for super long rides, I use bag balm. I find the traditional cremes break down and dissapeer leaving one with a dry crotch on a hot day with 30 more miles to go.

Louis
05-24-2007, 03:29 PM
The nice thing about the water soluble types (like Assos, which is what I use these days) is that they clean up easily in the washing machine and you don't have a greasy butt after you shower.

Back in the days when I used honest-to-goodness leather chamois I used plain old vaseline, and laundry was more of a hassle.

Bud_E
05-24-2007, 03:41 PM
FWIW I've used A&D Ointment since forever and it seems fine in all kinda conditions. It's less than 10 bucks for a jar that lasts a long time and you can easily find it at CVS, etc.

erikbrooks
05-24-2007, 04:07 PM
A very recent issue of Mtn BIke Action recommends skipping these lubes with the very most modern shorts. I have some of those shorts (Voler), and I tried going without, and it was a failed experiment for me. I'm back on the Butt But'r.

whitecda
05-24-2007, 04:32 PM

SoCalSteve
05-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Assos

nuff said

zank
05-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Noxzema. All day, every day.

DarkStar
05-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Bag Balm, inexpensive about $10 CDN per tin, will last me the better part of two seasons. Drawbacks, medicinal smell and has the consistency of Vaseline.

abqhudson
05-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Chamois Buttr works for me and is a must for me for longer rides.

Jim

Steelhead
05-24-2007, 08:14 PM
I've used Butt Butter and currently use Assos - and am wondering about Brave Soldier brand, anyone tried it?

musgravecycles
05-24-2007, 10:34 PM
I've always used A$$0$ ;) .

I still have a jar left over from my last purchase, when that's gone I'm going to try Too Talls recipe...

sspielman
05-25-2007, 06:38 AM
There is also an Italian brand made by Nalini called "Relief"....seems to have a little better staying power than the Assos (at least the recently re-formulated version)....I still like...I have been adding a little Relief to my Assos jar and then slapping it on....

SamIAm
05-25-2007, 06:43 AM
I've always used A$$0$ ;) .

I still have a jar left over from my last purchase, when that's gone I'm going to try Too Talls recipe...

What is Too Tall's recipe?

Too Tall
05-25-2007, 06:48 AM
The reason I taught myself to formulate cosmetics some 12 yrs. ago was because all the chamois cremes avail. were made with nasty stuff I did not want on my skin. Assos is "not so bad" as they say in MN ;) The other two top brands I won't even begin to trash...utter poision hmmmm. The unconventional medicinals ZNFNDL mentioned in another thread are made using the same formulas I use at home. By and large everyone will find that this stuff is very hypoallergenic and the essentials in the products will eliminate bacterial caused problems and it lubricates very well.
http://www.unconmed.com/products.htm

Mud
05-25-2007, 07:29 AM
http://www.originaludderbalm.com/

We like this one best. It also comes in tubes so she can put it in a shirt pocket.

davids
05-25-2007, 09:17 AM
I apply a little Auqaphor. I don't notice it at all when I'm riding, but I do notice it when I don't use it!

http://images.dermstore.com/catalog/100078/150x150/433.jpg

Brons2
05-25-2007, 09:56 AM
The newer style (for want of a better term) 'foam' chamois found in Pearl Izumi and Descente shorts are supposed to be treated to help prevent saddle sores. I do not use any type of lubricant/antibacterial when I wear this type of short. It seems these newer styles move 'with' your body, as opposed to the older style sliding 'against' your body.

The PI shorts will give me a seam rash if I don't use something. They also stick to my junk. I've been a Chamois Butt'r user but I am experimenting with lower cost solutions.

Currently using Boudreaux's Butt Paste.

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/06/21/03/33/0006210333306_215X215.jpg