PDA

View Full Version : headtube modification??

slinkywizard
05-24-2007, 10:54 AM
In the case of an extended headtube (say 1-1 1/2") above the toptube junction, that I don`t find esthetically pleasing. Would it be possible to have the kind people at Serotta (or anyone else...) shorten the (extended) headtube of a legend ti about 1/2" without too much trouble. Any thoughts?
Thanks

David Kirk
05-24-2007, 11:04 AM
A hacksaw and a fresh ream and face and you should be good to go. Any builders in your area?

Dave

slinkywizard
05-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Well...yes...Seven and IF are just across the river (Seven will decline for sure and IF seem to have enough on their plate). Serotta is reasonably close and I know Mike Augspurger (formerly of Merlin) is somewhere in western MA and Peter Mooney and Zanconato are also quite close. I was just wondering if the headtube was somehow internally butted or something and taking a hacksaw (don`t think I`d have the nerve, hacksaw and legend ti don`t seem appropriate in the same sentence ) would compromise its integrity. Thanks.

djg
05-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Given that Serotta's not too far (and obviously pretty easy to telephone, and pretty easy to reach with the frame if it goes in a box), I'd give them a call. My guess is that this could be done at any competent shop, but there's no harm in checking with Serotta to see if they have any particular reservations, and also to see whether they'd want to do it in-house or recommend a dealer to handle it.