PDA

View Full Version : What brand shorts/bibs do you wear?

dekindy
05-24-2007, 06:26 AM
I am doing longer rides and need better quality shorts. What does everyone suggest?

Steelhead
05-24-2007, 07:10 AM
Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor shorts and bibs are a good buy and thats all I wear. I've got some of the pricier Microsensor bibs but I like the ultrasensors better.

Ray
05-24-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm still good with Performance and Voler. I've tried some more expensive Castellis and Giordanas and didn't find any benefit. I've never tried the really high end stuff, but as long as the relatively cheap stuff works for centuries, why spend the extra coin? Kind of like saddles, though - everyone has different preferences.

-Ray

seanw
05-24-2007, 07:33 AM
speicalized bg pro bibs and giordana tenax bib. like both but like the giordana better. also has convienient pocket in back of short up by the bib area.

happy riding,
sean

Bud
05-24-2007, 07:36 AM
PI Attack and Ultrasensor. I do have one pair of SUgoi that I find pretty good, but the Ultrasensor are the best for me. I've been meaning to try some Nalini shorts- they are sold pretty cheap as Excel's house brand.

znfdl
05-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Assos with Unconvetional Midecinals anti chafe cream http://www.unconmed.com/products.htm

Combination works well for me for longish 100+ mile rides.

whitecda
05-24-2007, 08:02 AM
+1 PI Ultrasensor. And they have a 3D Tour Liner that I'll add inside if I plan a very long day. I never thought about adding a second layer, but got the idea from some Randonneur buddies, where anything goes and a hundred mile day is just getting warmed up. Also got a good recommendation for Lantiseptic from them too. Smells medicinal, and it's very thick, but WOW does it work well....."down there"!

Erik.Lazdins
05-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Giordana Tenax laser bibs - I reach for the Assos when the Giordanas are in the wash.

I like the Assos but at less than 1/2 the price - Giordana is tough to beat.

jemoryl
05-24-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm very happy with my DeMarchi Contours (not Plus). They meet that criteria of good shoes, saddles, etc.: I don't notice them while riding. One pair is in its third year and is still looking good. No creams, goops or other stuff.

regularguy412
05-24-2007, 08:45 AM
I got back on the bike last year, after a six-year hiatus. Prior to that I had raced and trained for eleven years. During my racing days, I had always worn Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor or Aerosensor shorts. As many of my shorts were now biting the dust after so many years sitting in the drawer, I decided to buy a new pair of PI's and one pair of Descente, juist to compare and see what changes had occurred while I was off the bike. The PI's were good, but I found that the Descente Aero-X's with the Strata chamois fit and felt MUCH better. I now own a total of four pairs of the new Aero-X's. When you have 'em on , it feels like you don't have 'em on. I also picked up one pair of the Descente bibs with the red, Phantom chamois. The Phantom chamois good, but not quite as good as the ones with the Strata chamois.

Mike in AR

a100mark
05-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Champion Systems has great shorts.....and they're cheap in the scheme our cycling attire. My cycling team ordered a full kit from them and they are awesome!

BURCH
05-24-2007, 09:17 AM
I am not very particular so it is hard for me to find a pair of shorts that I don't like.

Right now I am on a Louis Garneau kick. I also ride Pearl and had a pair of nashbar shorts that have lasted probable 4-6,000 miles. They are ready to get thrown out, but I love them. It will be tramatic.

Nick H.
05-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Assos FI.13 bibs for me. Why settle for second best!

JasonH
05-24-2007, 09:49 AM
I got 2 pair of Boure Elite shorts, one with the regular chamois and one with the Pro chamois. I only notice a small difference between them and tend to like the elite better. The Pro chamois has a suede like texture to it and can get a little grippy on my skin when sweaty. But they're both comfortable and the feel of the Elite shorts lycra is really nice and supportive.

saab2000
05-24-2007, 10:04 AM
I want to try some Boure bibs. I like the idea of a domestically made article of clothing by a guy who rides (Ned Overend's company, right?). Presumably they are well made and designed.

Soon.

slinkywizard
05-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Asso F13 S2 bibs...quite a splurge indeed, but they are very comfortable. I don`t feel them whatsover when in the saddle for 4+ hours. I do use them with Assos chamois cream as. Haven`t tried a lot of other bibs/shorts though apart from some decente`s (not sure which model, minimal padding) and PI`s that I didn`t like much. Were it not for my dire finacial situation due to my 4th year as a graduateb student, I`d have a closet full of F13 `s! Now I just handwash the single pair I have after every ride.

quattro
05-24-2007, 11:27 AM
I have been wearing the Sugoi RS Flex shorts for two seasons now and they are my go shorts., very comforable and nice fit. They are also available in a bib but I have not tried them, I prefer shorts to bibs.

gdw
05-24-2007, 11:46 AM
The less padding the better. I tried some of Pearl Izumi's and Sugoi's offerings but found Performance's older model Century shorts more comfortable for both road and off road epics. I'm not impressed with the new models so when my current stash gives up the ghost I'll probably try Voler.

PeterW
05-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Boure is a cool little company. Shorts are exactly like the shorts of yesteryear. Super thin pad. No fancy anything. I dig them, but the tech is very very old school.

You can't compare them with high-end modern shorts. I'm not saying they are worse, just very different (and identical to my twenty year shorts I still have in the attic).

On Giordana v. Assos. I prefer the Tenax shorts in every respect over my super fancy Assos shorts. I just really like the tighter, more compressing fabric. I rode them very happily in a 300K last month.

rePhil
05-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I used Performance for awhile, but it seems they changed vendors. I switched to Voler. They are/ were fine,But lately it's been Boure Elite's.They fit fine and are comfortable.

chuckred
05-24-2007, 01:42 PM
I want to try some Boure bibs. I like the idea of a domestically made article of clothing by a guy who rides (Ned Overend's company, right?). Presumably they are well made and designed.

Soon.

Very minimalist and very comfortable! LIke a second skin - not a diaper!

They're what I pull on for anything over 3 hours...

Steelhead
05-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Colorado Cyclist has their own branded shorts that I have been told are PI's but with the CC branded logos - so the same stuff for less $$.

soulspinner
05-24-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm still good with Performance and Voler. I've tried some more expensive Castellis and Giordanas and didn't find any benefit. I've never tried the really high end stuff, but as long as the relatively cheap stuff works for centuries, why spend the extra coin? Kind of like saddles, though - everyone has different preferences.

-Ray

+1

Slave2Gus
05-24-2007, 06:34 PM
PI Attack and Ultrasensor. I do have one pair of SUgoi that I find pretty good, but the Ultrasensor are the best for me. I've been meaning to try some Nalini shorts- they are sold pretty cheap as Excel's house brand.

Buy the Excel Nalini's a bit snug. They don't have a particular firm fit. Personally, I've tried PI, Santini, Excel's stuff, and Voler but I LOVE my Giordanas tenax. But shorts/bibs are as personal as shoes so YMMV.

huey
05-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Giordana team bibs and Voler. Both of these brands have treated me very well. The PI's feel like I am wearing a diaper. Shorts are like saddles, what works for me might not work for you.

Spicoli
05-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Try Verge's new bibs. They used to be a horror show but the stuff they are making these days is unreal! I tossed all my Giordana's because I am so spoiled by the Verge stuff. FYI I have been using there upgraded chamois, not the low end one but not there top of the line either. I am brain cramping on the name right now? Give them a go, my whole team tossed all the other stuff they where using. :D

gt6267a
05-24-2007, 07:04 PM
etxe ondo -- i think it was 11.4 that turned me onto this brand. the golden chamois is great. very soft but also thin so there is no bunching in the wrong place effect that is so common. even my pi shorts, the chamois is thick so i sit into the foam / pad / whatever. oh, and i do like the assos chamois creme!

LONE RIDER
05-25-2007, 12:55 AM
Lately I've been riding early in the morning and am using bib knickers. I got a pair of the Boure Pro's and the quality and feel is excellent. I only wish the cuffs had the elastic grippers inside. Instead they are just hemmed and rely on the stretch to keep them in place. They kind of become discombobulated during the ride. The chamois is comfortable and so far it looks like they will have a long life.

sw3759
05-25-2007, 03:48 AM
another vote for the tenax bibs.especially for 4hr+ rides.although the new elite Voler bibs would be my second choice.on a budget,the standard voler bibs wear very well but they do have a bit of a thick pad which bug some folks.

97CSI
05-25-2007, 04:59 AM
Another vote for Performance Century bibs. Bought half-a-dozen when they had a crazy winter sale three years ago, so those are my newest ones. Their newest do not look the same, so might try the CC bibs next.

Elefantino
05-25-2007, 05:08 AM
Many people swear by the Assos F1-13 but my a** isn't special enough to justify more than $250 on a pair of bib shorts.

It used to be all Performance. Now it's Voler. However, the most comfortable shorts I have, bar none, is a pair of team-issue Liquigas by Santini that I picked up in Europe last year. Got 'em for 100 euro (my wife bought the kit as an on-the-spot anniversary present) and liked them so much I mail-ordered another pair.

Personally, I don't like thick pads or the "variable thickness" pads. They feel like diapers with a load.

dekindy
05-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I was trying to include a poll and the website was so slow that I gave up and did not realize the thread had been posted.

I am leaning towards either Voler, which can be purchased from Hammer nutrition with their logo of course for $39.95 for shorts and $44.95 for bibs plus shipping unless you purchase $250 of merchandise, and the Giordana Tenax seem to get a lot of recommendations. Does anyone have an opinion on Giordana Silverline bibs? The local shop has these in stock but would have to order the Tenax.

I did a poll on bikeforums.net and PI was #1 at 52% and Assos #2 at 22% followed by Giordana-13%, Voler 11%, and Descente 10%. I did not list Sugoi or Aerotech Designs as a choice but those were recommended a lot in the replies. Interestingly Boure got zero and Endura's only vote was mine. I allowed voters to select more than one so that is why the %'s add up to more than 100%.

Here is the thread if anyone is interested.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=300973

dekindy
05-25-2007, 09:32 AM
I got back on the bike last year, after a six-year hiatus. Prior to that I had raced and trained for eleven years. During my racing days, I had always worn Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor or Aerosensor shorts. As many of my shorts were now biting the dust after so many years sitting in the drawer, I decided to buy a new pair of PI's and one pair of Descente, juist to compare and see what changes had occurred while I was off the bike. The PI's were good, but I found that the Descente Aero-X's with the Strata chamois fit and felt MUCH better. I now own a total of four pairs of the new Aero-X's. When you have 'em on , it feels like you don't have 'em on. I also picked up one pair of the Descente bibs with the red, Phantom chamois. The Phantom chamois good, but not quite as good as the ones with the Strata chamois.

Mike in AR

My favorite LBS has PI and Descente. Have you any experience with the Spectra chamois in their Classic Chevron Pro Bib Shorts?

dekindy
05-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Try Verge's new bibs. They used to be a horror show but the stuff they are making these days is unreal! I tossed all my Giordana's because I am so spoiled by the Verge stuff. FYI I have been using there upgraded chamois, not the low end one but not there top of the line either. I am brain cramping on the name right now? Give them a go, my whole team tossed all the other stuff they where using. :D

Interesting, I have never heard of them. They are listed on Indie Bike, a local retailer/internet seller. Are you referring to the Pro Bib Shorts or the standard?
http://www.indiebike.com/Brands/Verge-Sport/Verge-Pro-Bib-Shorts
http://www.indiebike.com/Brands/Verge-Sport/Verge-Standard-Bib-Short

tv_vt
05-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Haven't seen a word about these. They are great. Like second skin. Very comfortable. My long ride choice.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned them.

T

bigdeal
05-25-2007, 09:51 AM
I've said it before (somewhere, don't remember where that was) and I'll say it again: In cycling there are a few things you shouldn't skimp on, shorts are brakes are at the top of the list.

4+ hours in the saddle: Assos
3-4 hours in the saddle: PI Ultras or Assos
Trying out some Craft shorts, they're going out for 3.5 this weekend.....
2-3 hours in the saddle: Bergamos
<1 hour in the saddle: Performance Century

All bibs, and Assos cream on everything except the Performance.

regularguy412
05-25-2007, 10:00 AM
My favorite LBS has PI and Descente. Have you any experience with the Spectra chamois in their Classic Chevron Pro Bib Shorts?

I have not tried the Pro Bib Chevron Classics, but I would not hesitate to purchase them. ( I actually 'did' try to buy some last year, but several places were all sold out, so I opted for the next better style) I suspect that the pad is pretty good, since I have always had good luck with Descente. I have a VERY old pair of Descente Classics that I still wear on the trainer. Even though the leg grippers on them are 'gone', the pad is still good.

I suspect that the new-style Chevron Classics are plenty good, but are probaly only 6-panel lycra, as opposed to the multi-panel Aero-X's.

I have always tried to buy 'good' quality shorts, regardless of which brand I choose. I also buy four or five pairs of bibs or shorts at one time and rotate them -- meaning: I only wear them once, then wash in cold water and air dry on a sweater rack with the pads turned out. I've found this method helps them last MUCH longer. It's kinda like buying two pairs of identical shoes and alternating, day-to-day.

Mike in AR

ox_rider
05-25-2007, 10:21 AM
I rode this A.M. and kind of a lousy ride I found myself blaming entirely on how thick the chamois is in my PT Microsensors.

Sierra Trading Post seem to have a number of high end shorts right now.

Spicoli
05-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Interesting, I have never heard of them. They are listed on Indie Bike, a local retailer/internet seller. Are you referring to the Pro Bib Shorts or the standard?
http://www.indiebike.com/Brands/Verge-Sport/Verge-Pro-Bib-Shorts
http://www.indiebike.com/Brands/Verge-Sport/Verge-Standard-Bib-Short
I have been using there Pro bib. Verge now sells direct online aswell, although I am not sure on pricing. I have been super happy with everything I have recieveed from them and the qaulity is outstanding. I have it all from head to toe and not one issue with any peices. The only thing that raised an eyebrow was there base layer fit real snug, but do stretch after you wear them a couple times. They are in upstate NY and the clothing is manufactured in Poland and I think Sach's team is using them along with the "IF" guy's. See what e-richie thinks about them if he ever returns to the forum? They are not super cheap but my a$$ is worth the extra couple bucks.

rpm
05-25-2007, 11:02 AM
DeMarchi with the elastic pad. Like the Assos, but much less expensive. Sometimes on sale at World Cycling and Nashbar.

Ozz
05-25-2007, 11:17 AM
etxe ondo -- i think it was 11.4 that turned me onto this brand. the golden chamois is great. very soft but also thin so there is no bunching in the wrong place effect that is so common. even my pi shorts, the chamois is thick so i sit into the foam / pad / whatever. oh, and i do like the assos chamois creme!
+1

luv these shorts...the golden chamois is great.

I just picked up a pair of the bibs with the new chamois to give them a shot. Colorado Cyclist has them on sale for $140 ($35 off). I'll get my first ride in them in tomorrow.

Assos chamois cream....mmmmm.

wtex
05-25-2007, 11:30 AM
I just picked up 2 pairs of PI Ultrasensors from REI, on sale for ~ $66. These are the 06s, which I like, cannot speak to the 07s. Anyway, on 2 hour rides, never a problem with the Ultrasensors, they just disappear underneath me. My next favorite after those are Castelli KISS shorts, 2006, and the 2006 PI Attacks. The Castelli and the Attacks both have comparable chamois, but the PIs lose to the KISS shorts as the inseam is rather short, almost to triathlon cut. Just seems kind weird compared to all others that are longer.

itsalldark
05-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Please stop----Pearl Izumi has been bought and sold so many times now they are not even sure who they are. The shorts they make now are not even close to the original product they made in the early 90's before the merry go round started. At best they are now an entry level short with a mid price tag. You want a pair of real shorts go find, and try on a pair from Decsent--Hugh who now wons Descente was the original owner/designer that put Pearl on the map along with Stan Mavis. Both left a long time ago. Other to consider would be Etxeondo, Assos or Castelli. All of these companies make an outstanding product. Light years ahead of what anyone else is doing in regard to fit and fabric. None of them are cheap, but you get what you pay for. Find a shop---a good shop that sells bike shorts---you know---has a big selection and the people that work there ride bikes--- and try them all on and see what you think. The new Castelli Freebib is unreal--nothing else like it and the Etxendo shorts have to be tried to be believed. As always the Assos product is well---Assos, they set the bar. Everything else is a toy!!!!

Don
05-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Another vote for Descente shorts and bibs. Don

vaxn8r
05-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Please stop----Pearl Izumi has been bought and sold so many times now they are not even sure who they are. The shorts they make now are not even close to the original product they made in the early 90's before the merry go round started. At best they are now an entry level short with a mid price tag....
+1

PI is a_has been_ in technical clothing but they were good in the late 80's to mid to late 90's. Runnin' on fumes...

I can't believe no one mentioned Specialized. They have a new designer and have made huge strides in thier shoes and bibs/shorts in the last 2 years or so. This is the only brand I will buy right now.

On the Gio Tenax... I bought 2 pairs a couple of years ago and they chewed my butt to pieces, literally. I gave the unused pair away and even gave the used one away this year. I figure it sat washed in the drawer for 2 years...any residual should long be dead. :rolleyes: I guess chamoix are like saddles. You don't know until you try.

quattro
05-25-2007, 08:41 PM
+1

I guess chamoix are like saddles. You don't know until you try.

.....In most cases you can return a saddle if it doesn't work, shorts and bibs, I don't think so.

dekindy
05-30-2007, 07:23 AM
I am not very particular so it is hard for me to find a pair of shorts that I don't like.

Right now I am on a Louis Garneau kick. I also ride Pearl and had a pair of nashbar shorts that have lasted probable 4-6,000 miles. They are ready to get thrown out, but I love them. It will be tramatic.

Which model LG do you recommend? I am going to try on some LB, PI, and Descente today at my LBS.

dekindy
05-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Today, I purchased some Descente AeroX bibs with the Spectra chamois. I also tried on PI microsensor and aerosensors. They all felt good so it was a tough decision. I have never worked so hard in my life trying on clothes. I tried each pair on several times and even sat on a bike that had the same seat as mine. We shall see if all the research and trying on bibs was worth it.

Ozz
05-30-2007, 01:17 PM
...They all felt good so it was a tough decision....We shall see if all the research and trying on bibs was worth it.
I've always like the Descente shorts I've owned....

However, the true test comes at about mile 75....under the blazing sun....heading up a long grade with no end in sight. If you aren't thinking about your backside then you picked the right shorts! :D

davids
05-30-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm very fussy about saddles, less so about shorts. I've had good luck with the Performance Elite bibs and the Bouré bibs (Pro fabric with Elite chamois).

I'm interested in trying both the Giordana Body Clone and the ExteOndo Cromatic bibs. They've got a lot of good press here...

shanerpvt
05-30-2007, 08:01 PM
anyone tried the Ralfa bibs?

JumpStart
05-30-2007, 08:39 PM
I've been very happy with Craft Master Bibs.

dekindy
05-30-2007, 09:05 PM
I tried on more bibs today, PI & Descente. I broke down and purchased the Descente Aero-X with the Spectra chamois. This is my first pair of bibs and twice what I have paid for bottoms in the past. I am convinced that bibs are the way to go and that higher prices are justified by higher quality and comfort. I will do a 30-mile training ride and give a report. Thanks. for all the replies.

onekgguy
05-30-2007, 11:19 PM
My wife bought me two pair of Assos bib shorts as a gift. They're more expensive than I'm used to but I do like them...they're also a bit shorter than I'm used to...but I've gotten over that.

Kevin g

Simon Q
05-31-2007, 02:04 AM
Today, I purchased some Descente AeroX bibs with the Spectra chamois. I also tried on PI microsensor and aerosensors. They all felt good so it was a tough decision. I have never worked so hard in my life trying on clothes. I tried each pair on several times and even sat on a bike that had the same seat as mine. We shall see if all the research and trying on bibs was worth it.

I have Descente and PI and both fit me well and the chamois are both good. I just prefer the thinner PI chamois - I ride an Aliante and don't need padding in chamois, just that it doesn't get in the way and moves with me, which PI does well. Also, the PI chamois has the least friction of any that I have tired.

FWIW, I find the Assos chamois too chunky and the leg cut too short, felt like hot pants (I am tall though).

Having said all this, shorts are very personal - depends on riding style etc so maybe take this with a grain of salt.

Needs Help
05-31-2007, 05:43 AM
On the Gio Tenax... I bought 2 pairs a couple of years ago and they chewed my butt to pieces, literally.
Not to mention the spandex goes limp after one season.

dbrk
05-31-2007, 06:46 AM
Santini.

Experience fwiwyoatmo has shown me that bucks don't translate into comfort or "better". In comparison, Rapha's stowaway jacket is, as far as I am concerned, so decidedly superior to any other I have ever owned that I have one locked away for the future. It would be hard to imagine improvements for that particular piece. But I have tried the Assos and Rapha shorts and can't find them superior and so not worth the premium.

If you wear your bibs under a pair of plus fours/knickers, like those from bicyclefixation.com, Rapha, swvre, you get points for looking like my French uncle (or like me, which I cannot commend)... I really, really dislike the menacing look of contemporary cycling gear---the helmet plus glasses thing is really really awful--- and prefer to be mistaken for a fey Languedoc cheesemonger (take "fey in the far older Old German sense of "doomed" feigi, rather than simply "quaint" or as we might say...well, you can say it). Every style is a costume, there's no avoiding that, so pick your own. It's what you prefer and you can be sure someone else won't like it but that's okay too. Like what you like.

Then again, I prefer down tube shifters, so what do I know?

dbrk

dekindy
06-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I tried on more bibs today, PI & Descente. I broke down and purchased the Descente Aero-X with the Spectra chamois. This is my first pair of bibs and twice what I have paid for bottoms in the past. I am convinced that bibs are the way to go and that higher prices are justified by higher quality and comfort. I will do a 30-mile training ride and give a report. Thanks. for all the replies.

I have ridden the Descente's for a 30-miler and a 55-miler with good results. Second ride felt better than the first. I am anxious to get back on the bike again tomorrow and see if I have adjusted anymore to the new chamois. I took another recommendation and ordered Voler bibs/Ion pad wit Hammer Nutrition's logo instead of Voler for $44.95, which is less than half price of the Voler labeled pair.

terrytnt
06-05-2007, 06:59 AM
For this new season, I decided to treat myself and purchase a pair of Assos - 2007 Assos F.I. Mille A.310 Bib Shorts - and what a treat it's been.

These shorts are by far and away the best I've riden. They're designed to fit in the riding position and are ultra-comfortable. (Purchased through Competitive Cyclist with a 20% discount they were running so the price hit wasn't too bad.) It's my only pair and I handwash after every ride. I'll never look back!!!

BHL
06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
For quality/price, it's tough to beat Santinis. Always well under $100 and I just don't notice them when I'm riding. I'm pretty thin and I like that they are still nice and tight - but not too... The newer ones seem to have lighter fabric, but no obvious difference in feel.

m&m
06-05-2007, 02:23 PM
The new Castelli FREE or CRONUS bibshorts will suprise most people. Castelli seem to be heading back to the glory days once again. :)

cacatfish
06-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Santini.

If you wear your bibs under a pair of plus fours/knickers, like those from bicyclefixation.com, Rapha, swvre, you get points for looking like my French uncle (or like me, which I cannot commend)...

Hey, I resemble that remark! I love my BicycleFix knickers, often wear them instead of knee warmers, especially if in "civilized" areas.
The fabric is just right weight-wise.
The only thing is I have now sown the butt-seam at least five times as I keep ripping it out, forgetting that wool gabardine does not stretch!

Karin Kirk
06-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Just ordered another pair of Castelli Ypro, the 2006 version. I got a pair last year and they are super comfy and they look cool too. The pair I just ordered is RED. Look out!

In addition to those, I also really like the Santini bibs. Up until late last season, all I'd ever known was PI and similar things. But the Castelli and Santini are both another level of comfort.