PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Record Crank Loctite or no

rippin
05-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Putting new 2007 Record on my 1997CTI and am wondering whether to loctite the bearing cups. Instructions state this is alternative if the bb shell is not faced. Any opinions appreciated. I've cleaned the threads thoroughly with simple green.

thx,
don

Dave
05-24-2007, 08:27 AM
http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/7225306_Ultra_torque_05_07.pdf

You haven't stated whether the BB shell has ever been faced. If not, then Campy insists on using Loctite 222. The only time they say the Loctite can be ommitted is if the BB shell has been faced. Then the cups can be torqued to 35Nm instead (if you've got the right tool to use with a torque wrench).

Personally, I'd try it without the Loctite first, but as the instructions note, if the bearings don't turn freely, then the BB shell probably needs facing.

What they don't mention is that the threads in the shell can be misaligned and no amount of facing or thread chasing will fix that.

Personally, I would use feeler gages to check the fit of the faces to the cups. Screw the cups in until they contact a .010 inch feeler. Then use .008-.012 feelers to check for high or low spots. If any exceed .002 inch, you need a facing job.