PDA

View Full Version : Can you black chrome a frame?

jwb96
05-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Anyone know what exactly black chrome is, and if a frame could be finished in it? And if it is possible, would it be a good idea? Just like the look and had a thought . . .

Thanks,
Jim

cpg
05-22-2007, 11:57 AM
It can be done but it is very delicate. Not suitable for a bike that's actually ridden.

Curt

musgravecycles
05-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Tough but yes.

There's a bike hanging in Doug's shop that he built in 1980 for a tri-guy named Terry Powell. It's got Black Chrome CS's and Fork blades.

This thing is immaculate. It's spec'd with absolutely top shelf stuff for those days (ti campagnolo BB/pedal spindles, Hi-E ft/Bullseye rear hubs, Modolo Carbon shift levers, the list goes on and on.

Anyway Terry rode this thing like like a muuuther, and finished 3rd in the bike leg of the Kona Ironman. He raced this thing for many years until He got Parkinson's about 5 years ago. I've always wanted to buy this bike from Doug to have something from the master I learned from (it's also a 64 so I could ride it). Beautiful bike...

wasfast
05-22-2007, 01:58 PM
I knew a guy that had a track bike black chromed, back in the late 1970's. I thought it was stunning. I'm not familiar with the method for this type of plating but always though it was similiar to other electroplating methods.

pauly
05-22-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm lucky enough to own a Black Chrome AD Ultima SL. I'm planning to build up the frame with a new Campy group set. Here's a link and a quote about their Black Chrome bikes:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/vrbn-a-f.html#austro-daimler

"The company also introduced the Vent Noir. A step below the Team frameset, it had a very unique feature. The frame went through a "secret process" which made it impervious to scratches. It was not painted. From what we could tell, it was hard-chromed (the type of chrome you use on engine crankshaft journals, not the kind for hubcaps), and then some sort of anodizing on top. You could take a knife or a file, and you couldn't scratch it. The factory never did tell us what they did. But it worked!"

Here's some catalog pics:

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/AustroDaimler/82/Ultima%20Superleicht%20Starleicht.jpg

mdeeds71
05-22-2007, 04:21 PM
I had my bumpers on a 68 Dodge Charge R/T black chromed. No problems with cracking or longevity...just the need to fund college and fuel at 7 mpg. I will try to look up who does it still...Awesome when done right and looks good in the sun but gets mighty hot so don't sit on the top tube otherwise the boys will fry....fry i said, fry :D

C5 Snowboarder
05-22-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm lucky enough to own a Black Chrome AD Ultima SL. I'm planning to build up the frame with a new Campy group set. Here's a link and a quote about their Black Chrome bikes:

[, not the kind for hubcaps), and then some sort of anodizing on top. You could take a knife or a file, and you couldn't scratch it. The factory never did tell us what they did. But it worked!"

This may open a big can of worms but when you say anodize I am assuming the frame of which you speak is then aluminum not steel. Steel can not be anodized - only aluminum and magnesium. Put a magnet on the frame you have black chrome and see if it is steel. If steel then it could be chrome plated, if aluminum it possibly is hard anodized. Aluminum oxide which is what anodize is the hardest substance known to man outside of diamond. It is also non conductive -- electrically it makes a great insulator, where raw aluminum is very conductive.

Second can of worms would be the joints where the welds are -- if this is chrome plated and the plater did not take extra special care of post plating treatment then these stressed areas could someday just break away due to hydrogen embrittlement.

http://techplate.com/black_chrome.htm

My 2 cents

dave thompson
05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
In the late 70s and into the 80s, Yamaha motorcycles had what they called 'black chrome' on a selection of the bikes they called "Midnight Specials". Exhaust headers and pipes, handlebars, sissy bars, crash bars and other bits that were normally chromed were of this 'black chrome' treatment. I've seen examples of these 20 year-old bikes recently and the black chrome is still intact and looking very good.

C5 Snowboarder
05-23-2007, 10:19 AM
In the late 70s and into the 80s, Yamaha motorcycles had what they called 'black chrome' on a selection of the bikes they called "Midnight Specials". Exhaust headers and pipes, handlebars, sissy bars, crash bars and other bits that were normally chromed were of this 'black chrome' treatment. I've seen examples of these 20 year-old bikes recently and the black chrome is still intact and looking very good.

Dave, Part of the can of worms of which I speak,, the parts you mention are all ok for plating -- usually these are low carbon steel type parts if they are steel, not stressed structural type parts. Many show cars are chrome plated on the susupension parts with many of the cars not driven just show, but if they are to be driven some of those components could fracture. That is why I mention the welded area of a bike that is plated, the simple process of welding is a form of heat treating, which raises the hardness of some higher carbon alloy steels, then this is where you may have issues as I mentioned above.

Anyway have a good day and I am envious of your Italy trip. my GF and I are talking about a trip there soon.

sw3759
05-25-2007, 06:43 AM
"In the late 70s and into the 80s, Yamaha motorcycles had what they called 'black chrome' on a selection of the bikes they called "Midnight Specials". Exhaust headers and pipes, handlebars, sissy bars, crash bars and other bits that were normally chromed were of this 'black chrome' treatment. I've seen examples of these 20 year-old bikes recently and the black chrome is still intact and looking very good"

thats funny..the XS11 "Midnight Special" is the first thing i thought of when i saw that subject line..i remeber those well.i will never forgive myself for not buying a that yellow RZ350 KR replica when i had the chance. :crap: