PDA

View Full Version : Assos Climajet jacket

TomP
06-12-2004, 06:35 PM
Hi all,
I am in search of the "perfect" rain jacket. Light weight, folds up small, breathable, and waterproof. I have heard good things about the Assos Climajet jacket. Does anyone here use it, or have an opinion on it?
Thanks,
Tom

vaxn8r
06-12-2004, 09:03 PM
I got one this year and it's the best one I've ever found.

For cold weather I like my Burly but it's too hot for anything over low 40's. The Assos is perfect for everything over 40. Fairly breathable, very compact and it really works pretty well.

I'll be curious to see how long it lasts me with the frequent use I give it.

Jay Torborg
06-13-2004, 10:22 AM
I've had one for about a year and use it often here in the northwest. :cool: It does breath better than most when it's not raining, but once it starts raining, the fibers close up so that it becomes more-or-less waterproof and it no longer breaths. It's good for riding in mist and drizzle, but is not as waterproof as most rain jackets and will tend to leak in a real downpour. The fabric yellows over time as well, so it starts to look pretty grungy after a while. The fabric is not very durable so you have to be very careful when riding past bushes and trees on the side of the road. Overall I'm not dissatisfied with my purchase and still take this jacket on most rides when there's a chance of rain, but it's not without its weaknesses.

Andreu
06-13-2004, 12:42 PM
I have used it alot here in Spain. It's great on long descents in the wet when you need to keep the chill off. It has saved me a couple of times. The bottom line is that when it rains hard you are going to get a bit wet: the Assoss jacket keeps the majority of the wind off and keeps the temperature tolerable. Pricey but worth every penny. I plan to take it next week when I am in the Pyrenees.
A

Too Tall
06-14-2004, 06:53 AM
We use a Castelli rain jacket. It is a stretch gortex and very good quality. About the same bulk as ASSOS. The thumb loops look cool, that's why we bouught them.

TomP
06-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Hi,
Do you use the Castelli Teseo jacket, or which one? Thanks.

Too Tall
06-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Tom, you need to chat with the Castelli rep. I looked at the website to answer your question and the Gabriela "looks" like what we use. Ours were purchased two yrs. ago and are white, stretch gortex and the cool thumb loops. Looks like they've changed the lineup for 04'. I very much liked the 1 layer stretch gortex fabric...minimal bulk and quite waterproof. The stretch aspect is key as the jacket resists flapping...adding to the cool factor. And we are oh-so-drool.

kenth
06-15-2004, 08:25 AM
How does the ClimJet jacket compare to the Rainshield jackets? I've got one and they're not bad, specially for $30 these days, but they don't compact really well - a small breadloaf-sized lump in my back pocket when I don't need it. Does the ClimaJet compact (and work) noticeably better?