PDA

View Full Version : My Butt Hurts..

jimp1234
05-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I've been trying to improve my bike fit, and I recently went thru a fitting with a good fitter (Serotta Adv) at my local lbs and he's got my current bike as dialed as its doing to get (wound up ordering a frame, an Ottrott which is 3-4 weeks away). One symptom I continue to have is a sore back and hip mostly on the left side. One thing I noticed coming off a longer ride yesterday, my left "sitz bone" was sore and my right one wasn't as much. Do these symptoms indicate either a functional or actual leg length issue? Btw, both my fitter and my chiro told me they didn't "see" any leg length issue. Something else? If so which leg is longer/shorter? TIA

-Jim

Karin Kirk
05-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi Jim,

There can be lots of asymmetries you may have that aren't necessarily leg length. For example, you might have different strength, flexibility, range of motion, or alignment from one side to another. And those differences might be in your hip, quad, lower back, or elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I think this stuff is hard to diagnose. We are lucky to have an ace sports alignment/chiropractor in town that does a very cool diagnosis procedure and then gives you a stack of exercises to do in order to correct the problem. It's completely fascinating!

You might see if you can locate a similar Dr. in your area.
Good luck and yay for that new Ottrott too!

regularguy412
05-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Likely that you have a leg length discrepancy -- and it's probably short on the side that is sore. At least, that was my problem. You may also find that your hips are slightly askew ,,that is to say, one hip/sit bone is closer to the handlebars than the other, such that your pelvis does not 'face precisely forward'. That was another one of my issues.

I remedied the leg lenth issue by putting shims between the cleat and outsole of the shoe on my short leg. My actual leg length discrepancy was approx. 8 mm. I only needed to shim for HALF of that length ( remember your foot is on TOP of the crank for half of the rotation ). That sloved the saddle sore/ sit bone problem.

With regard to my skew problem, I attributed that to wearing my billfold in my right rear pocket and sitting on it for years while driving, at the desk at work, etc. I've since stopped sitting on my billfold and just carry it with me, only putting it in my hip pocket when I'm walking. I feel that this helps my muscles relax and lets my lower back align itself more properly.

You may also find that getting on the Ottrott after the specific fit will help with some of these problems, as well. I discovered my leg length issue while being fitted for my CSi, some years back. I've had no saddle sore issues since addressing the problems back then. Finding that 'perfect' riding position is great. When you're a comfortable rider, you're a better, stronger rider.

I've recently purchased a Selle Italia SLK saddle ( not the gel version ). I did this because it has almost the same length/ width dimensions as the saddle I've used on my CSi for years. It seemed a little hard at first, but after 500 miles or so, it is becoming transparent and comfy on rides. I don't even think about it.

Hope these observations help.

MIke in AR

Ken Robb
05-21-2007, 02:13 PM
when I was 12 my pals and I swapped bikes all the time; none of them were "fitted" and we didn't hurt unless we crashed going down Suicide Hill.

Yesterday I went on a ride with the classic bike group in San Diego. I knew after my long time off the bikes I needed lower gears than on my Nuovo Record bike with the 42 small ring so I rode the Kirk. It's steel and doesn't look too new. I got spit off the back, lost the group, limped home after 18 miles and my neck, shoulder and back hurt. Can I get fitted like when I was 12? :rolleyes:

johnmdesigner
05-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Has your Chiro take x-rays of your lower spine and pelvis? I had a similar problem and it was a number of factors:
rotated lower vertebra
twisted pelvis (too much computer work and car time). This caused the "Leg length discrepancy".
pressure on right sit bone ( I felt like the Leaning tower of Pisa)
I don't have an actual leg length discrepancy but all of these issues including tight as **** hamstrings had me twisted up pretty bad.
The fitter could make an allowance by adding some shims between your shoe and cleat ( I have about 1/4" of shim).
I have been seeing a good Chiro who is working on all these issues. I am now walking, sitting and riding with much more comfort.
Everyone here has made excellent suggestions. You will now have to be the detective of your own body and do some investigating / experimentation. :D

mdeeds71
05-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Lets try something very basic I had happen. Be sure to check the alignment of the saddle. Even after the fitter gets done...it is possible that the saddle is not aligned with the frame and thus the pedals. This will cause a "gaiting" (sp) of your hips and stress on one side. In essence this would be somewhat similar to a leg length discreptancy.

Len J
05-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Lets try something very basic I had happen. Be sure to check the alignment of the saddle. Even after the fitter gets done...it is possible that the saddle is not aligned with the frame and thus the pedals. This will cause a "gaiting" (sp) of your hips and stress on one side. In essence this would be somewhat similar to a leg length discreptancy.

+1,000,000

That's what I was going to say.

Len

jimp1234
05-22-2007, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the comments. Nothing is ever easy. :cool:

-Jim