PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocomputer recommendations?

benb
05-21-2007, 11:53 AM
I need to get a new cyclocomputer when my new bike arrives late this week or next week.

My last 3 road bikes have had Shimano Flight decks. I like them as they got you a decent cadence reading without having an extra wire running down the downtube, and the nice integration with the shifters. I didn't like the extra time expense when changing bar tape, and the fact that you had a fairly spotty electrical contact with the shifters.

My new bike is not even going to have Shimano, so Flight deck is out.

I've seen a few recent ads for the Blackburn Delphi and I hadn't really noticed how fancy cyclocomputers have gotten.

Here are the features I'm looking for:

- I definitely want cadence
- Wireless (wireless cadence as well if possible, I haven't found one yet)
- Ride Time/Total time
- odometer/speed

Bonus features
- HRM built in (Strap must have user-replaceable battery, or if it's polar compatible I have a non-polar strap that has replaceable batteries that works)
- Altitude/grade (less important)

I already have a HRM (Vetta) which is pretty fancy. However I can't get full use of it as it only works with Windows on a Serial port, and I don't really have a computer with a serial port anymore. And I don't like having two things on the bars, so integrating it into the cyclocomputer is attractive.

Altitude/grade is just a curiosity I guess, but I like to climb so I think I'd enjoy it assuming they actually work and are accurate. (Guessing the altitude works great and the grade isn't quite as good?)

It seems like some of these fancy new computers offer the ability to go a bit past normal without having to go crazy and start downloading to the computer or spending huge $$ for a power meter.

I haven't even used a computer on a single ride this year.. so I'm feeling a bit ready to know how fast/far I'm riding again.

I've never had a wireless computer before.. feel free to try to talk me out of trying it... I'm only ready to try it if most of the kinks are worked out now.

Any thoughts & recommendations?

davids
05-21-2007, 02:16 PM
The Cateye CD300DW has wireless cadence, Ride Time/Total time, odometer, speed, and about a hundred other features I've never figured out. It doesn't have an HRM - You can choose the HR200DW to substitute the monitor for cadence.

http://www.cateye.com/sites/cateye/upload/products/251-og.jpg

I've used mine for about three years now, and it has been reliable and accurate. It's loaded with features and, like I said, I don't pay attention to half of them. The downsides I've found are that it goes through batteries pretty quickly (although the current set have made it since August.)

I had the same requirements as you - I really wanted wireless cadence for the bike that spends its winter on the trainer - and have been pretty happy with it.

My other bikes have the super-cheap Cateye Mitys, which have everything I want in a day-to-day computer.

http://www.cateye.com/sites/cateye/upload/products/255-og.jpg

benb
05-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks.. I'll give that one a consideration, the sensor looks very elegantly designed. It's perhaps sexy enough to give up on the HRM part.

I don't use my HRM much.. and I'm the kind of rider who is prone to overdoing it. So one reason I mentioned the HRM is anything that made it more convenient to use the HRM would probably be a good thing.

znfdl
05-21-2007, 02:29 PM
I really like my garmin Edge 305. Has all of the features that you want.

fhernandez1960
05-21-2007, 02:29 PM
I am a big fan of the Garmin Edge 305. It is simple to use and it gives you more information than you can consume. I find the download to motionbased.com easy and motivating. It is very cool to see you doing the same loop a month later in better cardiovascular condition. The HRM has a replaceable battery which was a big thing for me. My earlier models of Polar HRM's were a rip off. It is expensive but you can get some decent deals on ebay for $260.

Granted... you can write all your info on a piece of paper or spreadsheet at the end of each ride from cheaper computers but I am a sucker when it comes to techno gadgets.

Francis.

Bruce K
05-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Take a look at the Sigma 1706 HR w/ DTS.

I have a 1606 w/ DTS (no Heart Rate) on one of my bikes and I like it so far. Easy to use and easy to read.

BK

benb
05-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Damn.. so Cat Eye has a computer called the V3 which actually does what I want...

Wireless Cadence
Wireless Speed
Wireless HRM

And it's not sold in the US yet...

LesMiner
05-21-2007, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=davids]The Cateye CD300DW has wireless cadence, Ride Time/Total time, odometer, speed, and about a hundred other features I've never figured out. It doesn't have an HRM - You can choose the HR200DW to substitute the monitor for cadence.

http://www.cateye.com/sites/cateye/upload/products/251-og.jpg

I have used the Cateye CD300DW for 2 years. When I hop on my other bikes without it, I really miss it. It is not cheap, I have seen it for $129 to $149 online. What I really like is speed, cadence, ride time, and ride distance all at once. There are two sets of recording, one turns on and off based on speed/no speed, the other is elasped only. So you can record ride time etc. and also get an elasped time version of the same by jumping between displays. There are 2 tricky things, do not bring the sending unit and the main unit any closer than 10 inches! The main unit will fail and stop registering anything from the sending unit. The adjustment of the two sensors can be hard. It must be on the chain stay near the crank. The two arms can be difficult to adjust so that both cadence and speed is being detected without interference with the crank or any part of the wheel.

benb
05-21-2007, 03:26 PM
I may get the CD300DW... only thing is there are a lot of negative reviews about it's reliability on the web.

You two have not had trouble with it?

Amazon.com has it for $115. That price is OK.

I bet I'd enjoy the Garmin but the price is pretty annoying. I'd much rather have upgraded my new bike from Rival to Force then have a GPS on my bike. I don't even have a GPS in my car!

davids
05-21-2007, 03:53 PM
I've had no problems with the CD300DW, aside from unpredictably short battery life.

As far as the Garmin - That's way too much data for my tastes! But a good friend of mine (not surprisingly, a Professor of Epidemiology whose greatest love is being knee-deep in data) loves Garmin 305 to death. You need to know your preferences...

I have a love/hate relationship with bike computers as it is. For example, I rode the CD300DW-equipped bike yesterday. It's got a feature that tells you whether your current speed is above or below your running average speed. Every time I noticed I'd fallen below my average, I was anxious to speed up! That doesn't maximize my enjoyment! I prefer less data when I'm on the road...

fierte_poser
05-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Sounds like you're already decided, but I've used the Polar 720i for the past year and have been very happy with it. Wireless speed, wireless cadence, and wireless HRM. Altitude as well, but altitude data is only somewhat accurate...it depends on temp, humidity, and barometric pressure. Still, its fun to look at the graph of HRM vs. Altitude vs. Speed at the end of the day.

Not cheap, but it downloads to the laptop reliably and the polar software is useful as a training journal.

Kent

fierte_poser
05-21-2007, 04:22 PM
I prefer less data when I'm on the road...

Me too. I set my polar to display Cadence, Ride Time, and heart rate (% of max). The last thing I want to see is my speed...

Kent

benb
05-21-2007, 04:24 PM
So is there a Vetta model I'll consider too. A lot like the Cat Eye V3 which is not available in the US. (Wireless speed, cadence, HRM)

Do the polar models still come with chest straps that are not user serviceable? I've been through like 5 batteries in the strap for my current Vetta + 2-3 for the main unit itself. No way I'm buying anything that's not fully user serviceable.

I understand the need to hide data sometimes. That's one of the reasons I've been riding with nothing at all this year.

Ottrott
05-21-2007, 04:48 PM
From a post I made last year....

I bought a Cateye CD300DW from LBS - back 2-3 times to try and get it to work...would work for no more than 2-3 rides and then zip. Road a couple of months - when I went to another shop..asked them to see if they could get it to work...unsuccessful...road some more...went to third shop...got it to work for 1 ride...Next season, new batteries, 3 more visits to shops - would work 2 rides - never more...then this year...put new batteries in...fiddled with it - got it to work for one ride...today...tried again...decided I'd spent a little too much time with this thing...

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/3969/cateye0021120x7441un.jpg

After adjustment...

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1953/cateye0031120x7442xa.jpg

I replaced it with a Polar - and no problems. I heard from people who had no problems. I wasn't one of them. The cycle shop I bought it at - reported that they stopped carrying them after problems. So...if it works, great. It didn't work for me.

Chris
05-21-2007, 05:11 PM
but, the powertap Cervo 2.4 can have all that you want except the altimeter/gradiant and if you later decide to upgrade to power then all you have to do is buy a hub. I have a wireless powertap and love it. When I want to race without the wheel, I just set it up in the Cervo mode and it works really well.

Bud
05-21-2007, 05:26 PM
I have the Vetta V100HR which has wireless cadence, speed and HR. It works quite well and I never have signal loss problems. As with other wireless computers, it does seem to eat up the batteries. There is no provision for uploading info to a computer, but I don't really need that. Overall, I am happy with it though if I had the money I'd get the edge 305 so I could save gps tracks.

shanerpvt
05-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Another vote for the Edge. I have the HR & Cadence model. My buddies can go on Motionbased and check out my rides (time, speed, elavation, heart rate, ect.).