PDA

View Full Version : Winter Booties

dnovo
12-24-2003, 07:02 PM
The new Performance Bike catalog (the Microsoft of Bicycling, but sometimes you sup with the Devil) shows the Pearl Izumi Toester Booties on sale for $10 off the normal price. These are very warm, keep your feet reasonably dry, and go on very easily over cleats and shoes as they zipper up the back and then offer a velcro strap to snug them down. As we riders Nort' A Da Cheddar Curtain know, your feet and hands are the first to freeze up, so for the cold months ahead, you may want a late stocking stuffer. (P.S. they also have the Lake MXZ 300 winter MTB shoes on sale for $20 off, the top of the heap if you want to avoid bothering with booties.) Dave N.

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2003, 09:19 PM
. . . I was astonished at how much later in the fall I was able to ride this year--MUCH later than years past--when I got ahold of some decent shoe covers and gloves. Even if I miscalculated and underdressed overall, I still did OK because the pinkies and piggies were still OK.

BTW, I got a Biemme A-Tex jacket that helped a lot, too. INCREDIBLE how warm it is considering it’s such thin stuff.

BBDave

dnovo
12-24-2003, 10:09 PM
Saving money tip, Egon: I agree the Biemme stuff is great. If they still have them, the 2002 "Team" winter jackets were on sale at Cbike for about $69, and are made by and are otherwise identical to the Biemme A-tex Winter Jackets. They run small, so buy them larger than normal. I picked up some Bianchi 2002 Team Winter Jacket and Tights, the former in XXXL and put a lot of layers under it. Worked fine at 7 degs. "Pinkies and Piggies" (love that phrase) still went first, but at least my torso and thighs were warm. The Biemme generally is nearly as warm as the Assos, not as well made, but not junk by any measure and about a third the price. Keep warm, and Happy Holidays. Dave N.

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2003, 10:17 PM
. . . for Atex or A-tex and something inexpensive and warm usually pops up.

Oops, I hear a noise on the roof. Better go stoke that fireplace.

BBD