PDA

View Full Version : It wasn't the four hills, it was mowing the lawn that got me...

Tom
05-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Worked from midnight to about nine Saturday morning doing some testing and so went out sleepy on a little 35 miler. Little ring the whole way, nice day in a soft 55 degree rain.

Sunday morning I cleaned the bike up and went out for a 55 miler or so, the four hills west of town. Crawford-Stirling-Ennis-Rynex with a little Weast in there for variety. About 4500 feet, modest but good for me these days.

So I came home and mowed the back lawn. It just about killed me. Huh? you say. Well, it'd been about ten days since I had last mowed it, it's been cool and rainy, I fertilized it a while back, and I use a human powered mower. There was so much grass it was clogging the damn thing, I'd have to take a running start and push as hard as if I was trying to shove a truck up a hill. Sometimes the reel would just stop and the wheels would skid. Two passes and I'd stand there gasping, thinking I was going to faint. It was great.

I skipped this morning's ride. I'll get out there tonight. I'm tuckered.

Kevin
05-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Two words. John Deere. :banana:

Kevin

William
05-21-2007, 08:07 AM
http://www.danmacleod.com/Articles/Tradition%20Images/sickle%202.jpg

Ray
05-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Dump the push mower, You need one of these...http://www.danmacleod.com/Articles/Tradition%20Images/sickle%202.jpg
Word.

I cleared a field with one of those back in my yooot, and it was likely the best ab workout I've ever had. Pretty much one side though - be careful with those new technologies :rolleyes:

-Ray

dauwhe
05-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Worked from midnight to about nine Saturday morning doing some testing and so went out sleepy on a little 35 miler. Little ring the whole way, nice day in a soft 55 degree rain.

Sunday morning I cleaned the bike up and went out for a 55 miler or so, the four hills west of town. Crawford-Stirling-Ennis-Rynex with a little Weast in there for variety. About 4500 feet, modest but good for me these days.

So I came home and mowed the back lawn. It just about killed me. Huh? you say. Well, it'd been about ten days since I had last mowed it, it's been cool and rainy, I fertilized it a while back, and I use a human powered mower. There was so much grass it was clogging the damn thing, I'd have to take a running start and push as hard as if I was trying to shove a truck up a hill. Sometimes the reel would just stop and the wheels would skid. Two passes and I'd stand there gasping, thinking I was going to faint. It was great.

I skipped this morning's ride. I'll get out there tonight. I'm tuckered.

I had my 400k a week ago Saturday, and mowed the lawn with a reel mower on Sunday. I think the latter was harder! I was going to mow again this weekend, as it's a lot easier if you keep up with it, but rain put an end to that...

Dave

Tom
05-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Rotary mowers are the worst things to use on your lawn. John the Deer would work fine, but a reel mower's the next best thing. It snips the grass like an animal's teeth. My lawn looks better than anybody else's in the neighborhood despite that they have all those guys with the tank trucks coming around hosing their place down with whatever that stuff is. They follow that up with some jamokes and their dull mowers scalping the hell out of it and the minute the rain stops, their lawn dies. Mine stays green green green and I never water it.

The downside is that if you don't mow it every five days or so you die like I did this Sunday.

rwsaunders
05-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Two words. John Deere. :banana:

Kevin

Correction Kevin, five words. Wife on a John Deere.

soulspinner
05-22-2007, 05:39 AM
http://www.danmacleod.com/Articles/Tradition%20Images/sickle%202.jpg

How much does he charge? :D

39cross
05-22-2007, 06:06 AM
I had my 400k a week ago Saturday, and mowed the lawn with a reel mower on Sunday. I think the latter was harder!
DaveMaybe it's time to put a 200K lawn mowing event on the calendar - just to get a little extra prep!

Kevin
05-22-2007, 06:40 AM
Correction Kevin, five words. Wife on a John Deere.

I stand corrected. You get the lawn cut and you get a little peace and quiet.

Kevin

William
05-22-2007, 06:49 AM
How much does he charge? :D

As with all things, Jim Bo's services are negotiable.

Kind of scary if you think about it....so, I try not to.

First bidder up!!! :banana:

William ;)