PDA

View Full Version : Monterey, Ca.

Casey
06-12-2004, 10:06 AM
What sort of weekend club rides are going on in the Monterey bay area?

I'm just getting back into shap after a long spell off the bike and want to start riding with a group again.

stackie
06-13-2004, 12:03 AM
I understand that the Monterey Velo Club leaves the Doubletree at 0700 (fast) and 0800 (slow) on Saturdays. Another ride leaves there at 0800 on Sunday. I have ridden with the Sunday group when I meet them on the road and it seems fairly safe and friendly.

I'm living in Salinas, so I tend to ride up to Seaside on Blanco and then ride the bike path. I may try joining the Doubletree rides for the full route soon. I just need to meet someone in Salinas who rides to them. I despise schlepping the bike into the car to drive to a ride. Just seems wrong.

PM me if you'd like to meet for a ride sometime.

Jon

Casey
06-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the response Jon. I would like a little more information on the Sat/Sun rides. How far are the rides? What routes to they take?

While on my ride from my place in North Monterey to Pebble Beach I always seem to meet the group going the other way.

Steve

stackie
06-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Casey,

The 0800 ride is 35 miles. I don't know about the 0700 ride. I've met the 0800 group on the bike path near Sand City and ridden north with them, but I usually break off and head home after 20-30 minutes as I have been riding for about 1.5 hours by the time I meet them. I like to get out early and beat the traffic coming out of Salinas.

Jon

Ken Robb
06-14-2004, 06:18 PM
I had a really good time riding from The Motel 6 in Seaside down the path, through Monterey and around 17 mile drive. I found out by personal experience why bike are not advised on the prety part leading to the Lodge. I had to try to learn to trackstand(unsuccesfully) while several big motorhomes tried to squeeze past each other on a very narrow and fairly steep hill.
Jon,so glad you are back in CA. Send me a note about your new life. Ken