PDA

View Full Version : Off road tires

vaxn8r
05-20-2007, 08:08 PM
I was riding the CoMo on a gravel road yesterday, doing a bit over 20mph and I had a rear blow out. Michelin 25's, almost new tire set. The rear tire has a 1 inch gash from the center of the tread toward the drive side of the sidewall.

Question. Is this bad luck or are Michelin 25's really not meant to be on gravel roads. I've always done short stretches on gravel roads on my road bikes with Michelin 23's without any issue but I admit I was pushing the pace pretty good on a fairly rough large gravel/rock road when it blew.

Bad luck or stupid idea to use this tire in these conditions?

bironi
05-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I'd say 20 on gravel is pushing it. I ride the same tires, but more conservatively. I'm sure there is something better out there if you have the space for a larger tire.

Johny
05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Ruffy tuffy!

Jack Brunk
05-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Johny,

How's the Moots?

merckx
05-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Vittoria Pave Evo. Really, really tough. Roll nice too, but $$$$.

Johny
05-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Johny,

How's the Moots?

Hey Jack,

It's great. It allows me to explore trails previously unknown to me. A fun fun bike. THANKS!

John

David Kirk
05-20-2007, 09:58 PM
I know it sounds overly macho and but those that know me know for sure that I'm anything but overly macho.............I ride 25mm Michelins and go down hill on dirt/gravel all the time at 30 plus and have never had an issue.

from where I sit if you have a reasonable amount of air (85ish min) and you "ride light" you can blast over stuff pretty well.

I think you had a freak thing happen.

Dave

bironi
05-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Well maybe I can be more bold. It may depend on compact dirt, or sharp loose gravel?

vaxn8r
05-20-2007, 10:20 PM
I know it sounds overly macho and but those that know me know for sure that I'm anything but overly macho.............I ride 25mm Michelins and go down hill on dirt/gravel all the time at 30 plus and have never had an issue.

from where I sit if you have a reasonable amount of air (85ish min) and you "ride light" you can blast over stuff pretty well.

I think you had a freak thing happen.

Dave
That's what I was hoping to hear. I think I'll replace it and if it happens again then make adjustments. I do love that tire.

dbrk
05-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Those who've ridden our Tour of the Finger Lakes know that I love to whale down the gravel road that turns into our driveway...fast as I can...and any of the other many gravel roads we have. Well, I routinely blow out tires. This past week it was a Michelin Dynamic 28c, a pretty nice, inexpensive "touring" tire, about $13 each---looks good, otherwise seems to wear nicely, nice roll. I love that these nice tires are cheap. As for the gravel shred, this one ended up wrapping the inner tube around the hub. I didn't crash but it was a hike home. I have also ripped apart a Michelin ProRace 25c, a Ruffy Tuffy, and flatted but didn't rip into shreds Vittoria Evo (thank goodness, they are expensive). So my point is that none of these tires are invulnerable. I've never crashed and think of my bike handling skills as one of my few...well...skills...since I don't fancy myself a racer. Anyway, going fast on gravel is askin' for it. That's my point.

dbrk

p.s. I've had a GREAT time riding the Gran Bois, both 650b and 700c versions, neither of which have yet blown on the gravel (I expect they will).

Jack Brunk
05-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Hey Jack,

It's great. It allows me to explore trails previously unknown to me. A fun fun bike. THANKS!

John

That's awesome. Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Ken Robb
05-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Panaracer Paselas are pretty good on and off pavement.

weisan
05-21-2007, 10:41 AM
And they are cheap. I loaded up 10yrs supply a while ago because Nashbar were selling em' $5 a piece after discount code. :D

sg8357
05-21-2007, 02:50 PM

SOMA Fab sells an up armoured version of the Paselas, kevlar side walls.
can you say stiff ? They're the new version, actual size and with
out the raised center tread that is shown in the picture.

http://www.somafab.com/tires.html

Panaracer is now the king of niche tires, I think every Franco/Bob/Luggite is
having Panaracer make them tires.

Scott G.