PDA

View Full Version : Bicyclist Slaps Motorist (Man Bites Dog)

bulliedawg
06-12-2004, 07:32 AM
From this morning's Athens Banner-Herald. It wasn't me. I have a full head of hair. But it's beautiful nonetheless.

Bicyclist slaps Colbert motorist

A 40-year-old Colbert woman reported Thursday she was slapped in the face through her open car window by a bicyclist on Prince Avenue, Athens-Clarke police said. The woman said the assault occurred at about 6:30 p.m., just after she had turned onto Prince Avenue from Hawthorne Avenue and was approaching the corner of Talmadge Drive, police said.

Before striking the woman, the bicyclist called her a profane name and said, ''Don't you know what a car can do to a bike?'' according to police.

The woman reported the incident from Athens Regional Medical Center, where she was treated for a bruised face, police said. The bicyclist was described as bald, about 25 years old, 6 feet tall, weighing about 180 pounds and wearing a yellow shirt with the number 24 on the back and black Spandex shorts, police said.

coylifut
06-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Sounds like he slapped her after riding the Madison. I don't think it's ever right to hit anyone outside of the ring. Whith that said, I once gave in to road rage and ripped the windshield wiper arms off a car (it was raining, they were moving) and then deposited them in a near by garbage can. Hey, I was on my new racing bike and they almost took me out. That was about 20 years ago.

Russ
06-12-2004, 01:57 PM
:)

Dekonick
06-12-2004, 08:51 PM
She is lucky all he did was slap her.

Cheers for a new Hero! :D

gdw
06-13-2004, 01:28 PM
The cyclists attack was inexcusable. I can understand his anger if he was cutoff or buzzed but that doesn't justifly slapping the women. Do you think he would have tried the same stunt with a man his own size? I hope the police catch the coward and nail him for assault.

csb
06-13-2004, 01:59 PM
did marcus of queensbury rules apply?

BumbleBeeDave
06-13-2004, 02:20 PM
On a civilized level I agree with gdw--you can’t just go around doing this like this. In the long run it may do more harm than good as the victim exacts her imagined revenge on the next innocent cyclist she encounters.

BUT . . .

. . . on a gut level I cannot help but say, “There but for the grace of God goes I“ as I silently cheer for a blow struck for “our” side. How many times have all of us run into motorists who very obviously are fully aware our presence near them and of what a car can do to a bike--and who just as obviously don’t care, since they still proceed to give us the finger or cut us off or scream as loudly as they can as they go by us.

I can certainly forgive the guy for losing it for the moment it took to take a slap at her. It would be a bit easier to forgive, though, if I could be sure he also told her exactly what she had done that almost turned him into road-kill . . .

BBDave

vaxn8r
06-13-2004, 05:53 PM
I'll fess up on a similar incident.

I was going downhill at about 42 mph. 2 lane road with a concrete divider so oncoming traffic can not turn across the double yellow. A car squeezed between me and the divider, he must have been going 50 something to pass me that fast (speed limit there is 35).

He gets stuck at the next red light. My first reaction was I was scared, then thankful I didn't die but now I'm enraged. I pull up next to him and tell him he could have killed me. He told me to ride on the sidewalk where I belonged. Then he rolled up the passenger window. So I hocked up a lugi and spit on his window. At this point he's pretty mad so he steps out of his car, presumably to fight me. I get ready to get off my bike...the light changes and there's a line of cars. He gets back in his car and flips me off as he speeds away.

Not one of my more stellar moments but probably typical of driver's attitudes out there. This guy was trying to teach me a lesson with his 4,000 lb vehicle. What a moron! He easily could have killed me that day.

ericmurphy
06-13-2004, 08:36 PM
I guess I'd feel more informed if I actually knew what this woman had done. Of course, we'll never hear the cyclist's side of the story, since he's now wanted by the police.

Interesting that you never hear a story like this: "Police are seeking a motorist for questioning after a bicyclist was hit entering an intersection on a green light. The cyclist's $6,000 racing bike was effectively destroyed in the mishap. The motorist, driving a late-model black SUV, ran the red light and collided with the bicyclist at around 25 MPH. The bicyclist is in stable condition at Mercy Hospital"

In my experience, living in San Francisco, if there's a collision between a bicyclist and a motorist, the bicyclist is at fault 100% of the time, in the eyes of the police. My best friend was killed four years ago by a guy driving an 18-wheeler. Witnesses said they believed it was a deliberate act. The police did such a half-assed job of investigating (they told most of the witnesses that since they were bike messengers, no jury would believe anything they said) that the DA's office had to completely re-investigate the case in order to take it to trial.

The driver was sentenced to five months in prison on a misdemeanor assault charge.

Dekonick
06-13-2004, 09:15 PM
I learned something from some friends who are Cops. What I did not know is if there is a near accident you had better leave evidence on the other persons car (paint, or something from your person) that can be used as evidence - otherwise nothing can be done. It is a felony to hit and run so... unclip and dent their car! They are passing you in an unsafe manner, and this way there is at least evidence they hit you (came close enough for a kick = too close IMHO)

Gotta get a Lic # too!

I sure wish none of this was necessary. Why is it the fat drivers who are the mose aggressive?

I couldnt believe I was told this by a COP!

Too Tall
06-14-2004, 06:07 AM
The cop was just being "real". If you are going to engage the enema...I mean enemy than do it with a winning hand. Evidence, license plate and a good story eg "I was afraid for my life".