PDA

View Full Version : Shimano R300 Road Shoe Review

Buzz
05-20-2007, 12:30 PM
After a two month wait I finally received my size 47 "wide" R300 shoes. These are the new heat moldable shoes that start hitting the LBS's this spring.

I have a wide left foot and a standard width right foot. So, I end up having a get a wide pair of everthing to accomodate my wider left foot. Previously, I was in the Sidi Megas. They worked well except my regular width foot slopped around and the fit was not "snug" on either side.

The R300 comes in silver only. That's ok with me as I have been forced to use the black Sidi Megas for 7 years. Anyway, the R300s are sharp looking.

The entire fitting process for both shoes takes about 35 minutes and involves heating the whole shoe, putting it on while warm and then into a vacumn bag while the air is sucked out so the shoe compresses around your foot. That's all there is to it.

Yesterday I had my first ride in them, a 100 miler up and over the Santa Cruz mountains down to the coast and back up over Alpine Rd, a tough 6 mile climb. So, I got to ride them in all sorts of situations.

The fit is much snugger than my Sidi Mega's. The molding process actually seemed to work. I felt more connected to the pedal so power transfer seemed more efficient. I didn't have any foot related issues, pain, numbness, etc which surprised me as I figured there might be a slight break in period like any shoe (running, street, dress) as your foot adjusts to its new home.

They look to be well constructed. I especially appreciate the buckle mechanism. An actual piece of metal that cinches and releases the strap without any difficulties. My Sidi buckle occasionally hangs up. The upper material is somewhat flexible which is a plus for anyone that has a bunion or any other abnormality. There is a vent on the bottom of the shoe with a mesh covering. Will have to wait for some warmer weather to see if it keeps the shoe cooler than others.

So overall, a nicely constructed shoe with a semi custom fitting process that results in a snugger fit. Thumbs up!

Ray
05-20-2007, 12:38 PM
The entire fitting process for both shoes takes about 35 minutes and involves heating the whole shoe, putting it on while warm and then into a vacumn bag while the air is sucked out so the shoe compresses around your foot. That's all there is to it.
Do you do the fitting yourself or do they have to do it in the shop? I still have a few years of life left in my current pair of Sidis (those shoes do NOT die), but would think about these for the next pair.

-Ray

paulh
05-20-2007, 01:22 PM
... are you using Buzz? Thanks for the review. I've tried these on at the store and they feel pretty good.

Velonews has a two part video of the fitting/heating/vacuuming process.

Buzz
05-20-2007, 01:54 PM
The shop does the fitting / molding / vacuming process. There is an oven supplied by Shimano that you will see at your LBS.

I use Speedplay pedals.

RABikes2
05-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey Buzz,

I have a bike shop customer looking for a size 12EE. He's tired of his foot hurting in his current bike shoes. I called Shimano (to ask about their selection of "wide" shoes) and was told their wide shoes fit size "E". May I ask how wide is your wider foot? Any other suggestions for a size "EE" bike shoe? :confused:

Thanks in advance,
RA

Buzz
05-20-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm just a regular wide or "E"

I think my Sidi Megas are a tad wider than the Shimanos, if that helps.

Good luck.