PDA

View Full Version : PowerTap 2.4 Shimano to Campy Conversion

MarinRider
05-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Is it possible to convert a Shimano freehub to a Campy freehub on the new Powertap 2.4? If so, is the conversion process relative painless like the Mavic freehubs?

Thank you in advance for the help.

J.Greene
05-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Is it possible to convert a Shimano freehub to a Campy freehub on the new Powertap 2.4? If so, is the conversion process relative painless like the Mavic freehubs?

Thank you in advance for the help.

I don't know the answer, but I just installed a jtek thingy to the rear der to use a Shimano cassette with recored shifters. It works very well.

JG

Giff
05-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I'll second the Jtek piece. I'm running Daytona 9 speed shifters, Centaur 9 speed RR and a Shimano Dura Ace 9 speed cassette. Shifting is flawless. I would highly recommend the $35 investment.

MarinRider
05-20-2007, 10:59 AM
I have tried various options (AC, Mavic, etc) without swtiching the freehub before. While they all worked to some extend, they don't work as crisply as campy on campy. Jtek is not a great option as I'd like change wheels on the same bike/share the powertap wheels among different bikes.

I'd rather change the freehub if possible.

Brendan Quirk
05-20-2007, 11:03 AM
You can buy the Campy-specific freehub body from your favorite PT dealer. It's a simple switch to pull off the Shimano and put on the Campy -- it takes about as much time as airing up your tires. The FH body runs ~ $99. You won't need to redish your wheel or anything similar. It's a simple switch with the help of an allen wrench. Good luck, Brendan

MarinRider
05-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Just the answer I am looking for!

mtbwrx
04-07-2009, 09:25 PM
This is not always so simple.
some of the PT hubs have a different diameter axle size.

There is also directions/PDF to download on the Saris website on changes that must be made internally to some washers and spacers - BEFORE changing from Campy to Shimano and Shimano to Campy.

davidlee
04-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Are we talking wireless P tap?
A friend of mine bought a used Campy wireless Power tap but he runs Dura Ace. He ordered a Shimano freehub body and I pulled the campy one off, slapped the new one on and it works flawlessly. Took 5 minutes.
Piece O' cake..
david