PDA

View Full Version : A Message From Dario

nelson
05-18-2007, 03:26 PM
This is a press release which Dario has asked us to release. Please feel free to contact me at Gita with any questions or concerns you may have.

Nelson Frazier

May 18, 2007

I know some of you have been patiently waiting for frames that are in the works. In some cases it has been many months. For this I apologize.

Unfortunately, I have been sick off and on for the past six weeks or so and often couldn’t find the energy to work. It became so bad that I sought medical attention. After extensive testing I have just learned that I have cancer, in the form of Lymphoma.

I will start treatment, including chemotherapy, next week. My doctors tell me that the response to these types of treatments is individual. Different people can react to the treatments in vastly different ways. They cannot predict how it will affect me. It is not known if I will be able to return to work the day after each session or if it will be two weeks or even longer before I have the strength.

I do, however, have the desire to fight this disease on my own terms, not from a recovery bed. I will continue work to complete the orders I have in hand as well new orders as they come in. However, I cannot put a timetable on any orders at this juncture. Please continue to be patient and be assured that no short cuts will be taken to rush frames out the door that aren’t up to my usual standards.

If you have questions or concerns about your order, pending or future, my well being or anything else please direct them to the Dario Pegoretti distributor in your country. While I enjoy receiving emails from customers around the world I will not be answering them for the foreseeable future. Please accept my apology for this and understand that I will still read every email I receive.

Ciao,

Dario

Climb01742
05-18-2007, 03:31 PM
i spoke with dario a few hours ago. he's in good spirits. he's hopeful. his warmth and humanity came across so strongly. my heart sank when he told me. if you don't mind me asking, please send good vibes his way.

William
05-18-2007, 03:38 PM
i spoke with dario a few hours ago. he's in good spirits. he's hopeful. his warmth and humanity came across so strongly. my heart sank when he told me. if you don't mind me asking, please send good vibes his way.

I'm sending all the good mojo I can muster.

I'm sorry to hear the news, but keep up the fight Dario. We're all behind you here.

William

David Kirk
05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
What does one say to something like this? I truly don't know.

I wish you all the best Master.

Dave

goonster
05-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Auguri di pronta guarigione, Dario!

davids
05-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Oh no. This is bad news. For what it's worth, Dario will be in my prayers.

merckx
05-18-2007, 03:44 PM
I feel your soul when I ride my Marcelo. I will exercise it well to bring you strength and good health.

Bill Stekl

Smiley
05-18-2007, 03:51 PM
I hope he recovers fully and will pray for him today , Smiley

SPOKE
05-18-2007, 03:55 PM
My mother battled lymphoma last year about this time. i saw first hand the effects of the disease and the possible cure. my mother's treatment was successful and i truly hope Dario has the same or better success.
Best wishes............

mosca
05-18-2007, 03:56 PM
All my best to a truly inspirational individual. Forza Dario!

Erik.Lazdins
05-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I am saddened to read this, hopeful that Dario's treatment will be a success and restore his health. This disease doesn't just strike an individual, it strikes their families, friends, and in this case fans.

rePhil
05-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Wishing Dario all the best.

slowgoing
05-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Here we are with our panties in a bunch ranting and raving about Landis/Lemond, and along comes this to put things in perspective.

Guarisci presto!

Tom Kellogg
05-18-2007, 04:38 PM
We will be keeping you and your family in our prayers. We will all be giving you big hugs this fall in Vegas! See you soon.

Len J
05-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Oh no. This is bad news. For what it's worth, Dario will be in my prayers.

does one say.....strength Dario...thoughts and prayers are with you.

Len

peter weigle
05-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Builders are a tough lot with a lot of spirit,,,

Dario sounds like he will use this to his advantage.

We're pulling for you brother.

rinconryder
05-18-2007, 05:46 PM
I expect to endure more Pegoretti frames!

justinf
05-18-2007, 05:55 PM
I have a fantastic ride planned for tomorrow on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I will be riding my new Marcelo, passed to me by a dear friend. I will be thinking of you, Dario. Best wishes, Justin.

Serotta PETE
05-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Dario, you and your family will be in my prayers.....The treatments have really come a long way and we all expect to see you at the next bike show.

Regards

Pete Mckeon

amg
05-18-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm really at a loss for words. I wish you a quick recovery and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

My sister was diagnosed with Lyphoma about ten years ago. She did chemotherapy and was fully cured within a year.

You will beat this cancer! Guarisci presto!

Un Abbraccio Forte,

Antonio

Ginger
05-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Dario,

Being sick sucks. At least it has been identified and you can go about getting better now.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Peace to you and your family,
Ginger

Elefantino
05-18-2007, 09:08 PM
All my best wishes and prayers for a speedy, complete recovery.

I am an admirer from afar.

Xyzzy
05-18-2007, 09:14 PM
I don't usually pray, but I'll definitely say a small prayer for you.

You have nothing to worry about, though. A while ago I made a deal with the Devil. I get a custom painted Emma, built by you, to my measurements, which are taken in person by you, when I get to visit your shop in Italy, on vacation. The Devil gets my soul.

The catch is I have to convince my wife (the Devil is actually afraid of her) to let me have *TWO* bikes in our already crowded living room.

That will take, oh, at least 25 years.

I'm patient.

Bart001
05-18-2007, 09:28 PM
I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma at age 30, now 18 years ago. Chemotherapy did the trick and ultimately I got back into the gym, spinning and then road biking. My summer training with Team In Training was one of my best summers ever.

I wish Dario all the best for a speedy recovery.

rwsaunders
05-18-2007, 09:36 PM
If Dario gets the same level of care and attention from his local medical community, as the level that he will receive from the cycling community, he'll be fine.

hansolo758
05-18-2007, 09:43 PM
I have admired your work since I saw a Luigino up close. Take care of yourself, take all the time you need and know that we are pulling for you and your familia in your illness. Raj

eadorno
05-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Dario, give this battle a hard look at your unique gifts, fierce commitment to details and your unwavering pursuit of perfection. It's no match for the likes of you!

djg
05-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Dario, you are in our thoughts.

JonnyComeLately
05-18-2007, 11:07 PM
What terrible news! Dario, fight it hard and don't give up. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

jeffg
05-18-2007, 11:25 PM
I had spoken with Dario a few weeks ago and he told me about having been ill and at that point they thought he had it figured out and he was going to build himself a bike to ride.

He talked about finishing my frame that week and I told him I would rather he build himself a bike and get some rest.

I have wanted a frame from him for so long, but now I just don't care -- I would rather just visit with him again and talk.

If I make it out to Italy in June/July I will make every effort to stop by.

He is in my prayers and I don't know why but I am a bit of wreck. I guess its too close with my mom being ill as well but it is just heartbreaking. Meeting him wasn't about a bike, it was about a man, and I am richer for knowing him. I hope to endure Pegoretti for years to come

roman meal
05-18-2007, 11:53 PM
round has made bicycles sing again

long live the cool, round

my prayers and song to you

dbrk
05-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Bikes don't seem so important when there is news like this.

Un abbraccio, fratello.

dbrk

shinomaster
05-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Dario effin rules! :banana:

Dekonick
05-19-2007, 12:18 AM
My pryaers go with you.

inGobwetrust
05-19-2007, 02:01 AM
My prayers to you, Dario. I'm wishing you all the best. I got through my cancer almost 7 years now and I'm sure you'll beat yours. Be strong, friend.

Your_Friend!
05-19-2007, 02:08 AM
Be well, signori Pegoretti!
You live life!

Love,
Your_Friend!

Climb01742
05-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Meeting him wasn't about a bike, it was about a man, and I am richer for knowing him.

+a million

soulspinner
05-19-2007, 05:51 AM
My neighbor was diagnosed with the same disease. He had his last chemo treatment in December and is doing great. You can beat this. Besides we need you to keep making those wonderful bella bike frames...

Tom
05-19-2007, 06:14 AM
When somebody says they're taking it on and not giving up their normal life, doing it on their own terms, that cancer picked the wrong person, you know they are already ahead of things.

Keep the attitude, it's a big part of getting better.

rickygarni
05-19-2007, 08:40 AM
Hello Everyone,

I know it must be heartening for Dario to read the expression of support he is receiving from all posters ... I wonder, though, can we channel our good feelings and wishes for him in a practical way as well? I know many of you know him personally (I don't) but I imagine that in his present condition and going through chemotherapy he would most likely have all sorts of needs. It takes a village, I think, to support a bicycle hero. Unfortunately for most of us, Dario Pegoretti lives many villages away from us! Still, I imagine that many of us with practical and less practical skills, resources, etc. could do something right now. I imagine that whatever help we might offer could be facilitated by whomever is close enough to him to convey his needs to us–I imagine that anyone who has ever had the joy of riding one of his bicycles would step right up, in whatever way they might be able to help.

Any thoughts, friends of Dario? Medical, practical, comfort, goods and supplies, services, music, art, etc.? Any doctors out there who might be able to steer us towards what needs and wants Dario might have in the coming weeks/months (through treatment?) Shall we all utilize the power of the internet?

I even thought of something as silly as suggesting we all go out and buy a Pegoretti (or yet another for many readers) but wondered if that would make him more anxious with incomplete orders!

My thoughts here are clearly still forming but something tells me that the strength of support that everyone has shown in the past and in the present indicates that it is possible to give comfort and assistance to someone who has given us all of that in the past.

Any thoughts?

Ricky Garni

CNY rider
05-19-2007, 09:00 AM
If you feel moved to donate to the cause, as suggested by the above poster, you might consider a donation to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society www.leukemia-lymphoma.org

I take care of many patients with cancer and of all the cancer related charities (sorry American Cancer Society, you don't even come close) the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society seems to do the most with their money, from helping individual patients and families to supporting important research.

Just a thought.

amg
05-19-2007, 09:35 AM
My sister had Lymphoma and went through chemotherapy treatment. I'll certainly ask Dario if he needs any advise or assistance and if my sister and I can help, we certainly will.

Antonio

sn69
05-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Dario,

Be well.
Be happy.
Abide (like the Dude), amigo.

All the best,
Scott

jeffg
05-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Hello Everyone,

I know it must be heartening for Dario to read the expression of support he is receiving from all posters ... I wonder, though, can we channel our good feelings and wishes for him in a practical way as well? I know many of you know him personally (I don't) but I imagine that in his present condition and going through chemotherapy he would most likely have all sorts of needs. It takes a village, I think, to support a bicycle hero. Unfortunately for most of us, Dario Pegoretti lives many villages away from us! Still, I imagine that many of us with practical and less practical skills, resources, etc. could do something right now. I imagine that whatever help we might offer could be facilitated by whomever is close enough to him to convey his needs to us–I imagine that anyone who has ever had the joy of riding one of his bicycles would step right up, in whatever way they might be able to help.

Any thoughts, friends of Dario? Medical, practical, comfort, goods and supplies, services, music, art, etc.? Any doctors out there who might be able to steer us towards what needs and wants Dario might have in the coming weeks/months (through treatment?) Shall we all utilize the power of the internet?

I even thought of something as silly as suggesting we all go out and buy a Pegoretti (or yet another for many readers) but wondered if that would make him more anxious with incomplete orders!

My thoughts here are clearly still forming but something tells me that the strength of support that everyone has shown in the past and in the present indicates that it is possible to give comfort and assistance to someone who has given us all of that in the past.

Any thoughts?

Ricky Garni

It will be really helpful to have people around after the treatments. Since we are not in Italy, what about forum care packages?

rickygarni
05-19-2007, 01:37 PM
I have only been close to cancer, but have not experienced it firsthand. Perhaps either a doctor, health practioner, nurse, or former cancer patient could speak more knowledgably to this.

From my experience as a friend/relative, the obvious needs are nursing (#1), help with daily choirs and such (#2) and general comfort (#3).

From our distance (I am assuming that most–not all–Serotta posters are USA), perhaps we are best poised for #3. I know (from anecdotal evidence) that Dario is clearly passionate about music, art, etc–is there an address (perhaps GITA, perhaps not) that we could utilize to send 'care' packages to him / serving as a pipeline? (Books, CDs, DVDs–again, third tier comfort). I would certainly be willing, and certainly open to anyone who knows him to guide me as to preferences.

I suppose most of all it is important to know what he might want, or whether or not he really wants or requires anything of this sort. I know it is terribly presumptuous to offer this (at least from my standpoint, as a fan and stranger) but...he's worth it, of course, and beyond.

Again, all ideas, suggestions, assistance and thoughts–particularly from those who know him well–are very much appreciated.

All the best,

Ricky Garni

RABikes2
05-20-2007, 11:18 AM
We will be keeping you and your family in our prayers. We will all be giving you big hugs this fall in Vegas! See you soon.
+1+1
This will be my first time at Interbike. One of the many things on my Interbike "to do" list...is (looking forward to) meeting you Dario. Sending many thoughts and prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.
RA

PK9
05-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Dario -
You have all the good vibes we can direct toward you from here on the West Coast.
Strength, support and speedy recovery.
-Bic Orange

Johny
05-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Dario,

We keep you in our prayers.

John

nelson
05-22-2007, 10:44 AM
I just spoke with Dario and he asked me to express his deepest gratitude for the outpouring of support from everyone here. He is in good spirits and is ready to begin treatment to beat this disease. Thanks to everyone who has e-mailed, phoned or posted messages to Dario. It means a lot to him and will go a long ways toward helping with the healing process. I'll keep you updated with his progress as we move forward.

Nelson Frazier
Gita Sporting Goods, Ltd.

ox_rider
05-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Dario -

Thoughts and prayers to you as fight onward.

Kahuna
05-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Geeze, this is sad to hear. Add me to the long list of supporters. Dario sounds like a fighter and it's my understanding that lymphoma is one of the most treatable of all cancers. No picnic I'm sure but I feel good vibes for his prognosis.

Bruce K
05-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Dario, here is wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

You will be in our thoughts as 12 of us ride in this year's Pan Mass Challenge as we raise money for tha Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston to help with their treatment and research programs.

It is our deepest hope that one day these fine doctors will find a way to make this evil disease go away for ever, and that future generations will be able to ask "What was cancer?".

Fight hard. We are with you.

Bruce K
Team Serotta Forumites - 2007 PMC

campyguy
05-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Dario,

You have been in my thoughts since I heard the sad news. I am optimistic that the spirit you exhibit in your life and work will see you through. All of my best wishes to you.

Namaste

L84dinr
05-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Signor Pegoretti, Please be well and fight the good fight. My family pray for you and your family for strength and Love to be with you through this difficult time.

Be Strong and Prayerful in this time.

God Bless, The Paris Family

rotafixa
06-05-2007, 06:40 AM
the big heart of dario will beat the beast

and i guess that dario's next artpiece will spring out from this experience: he's an artist and can look very deep in his history.

round
06-11-2007, 06:12 AM
First of all, I want to thank everyone who has send me emails, cards and general good wishes via whatever means. The outpouring of concern, advice and love has been truly overwhelming and has lifted my spirits beyond what I would have believed possible.

As for my current condition, here is a brief update. Last week I received my first round of chemotherapy. I am taking treatments in Verona and am very confident in the doctors and the care I'm receiving.
the chemo did not cause any nausea and I was actually able to return to work that afternoon. I will continue to a course of monthly treatments with my first big evaluation coming in early August.

I also got good news from my doctors prior to this first treatment, in that my blood values had returned to normal as a result cortisone treatments. They were very encouraged by this which I took as very good news.

Again, thank you for all your support. It has helped me immensely.

Ciao,
Dario

Moosedryvr
06-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Signore Pegoretti,
Great news!! All the best in your continued fight, I am thrilled to hear that all is going so well so far. You are in our thoughts and prayerS.

Shawn G.

rickygarni
06-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Fantastic news, Dario!

By the way, here in the USA you are still making more news ... yesterday at the Cirque de Cyclisme in North Carolina, your first generation Luigino (with the bikini lugs) won the 'Best Paint' award with its three-chocolate-colored paint job as rendered by Joe Bell. The sea of beautiful bikes there–from Weigles and Sachs to Baylis Wizards, Herses, LLewellyns, Masis, Colnagos, etc–was almost overwhelming, but judges considered the interplay between your work and Joe's to be the outstanding entry.

Congratulations from everyone at the show, all of whom spoke of you lovingly, and many of whom mumbled, talked and shouted about their desire for your bicycles (most of them went straight from 'desire' to 'need.')

All the best to you,

Ricky Garni

(from a recent posting by attendee and bicycle impassionata Lou Deeter: "Speaking of, the Pegoretti painted by Joe Bell that won best paint was painted in three shades of chocolate--creamy white, milk chocolate and dark chocolate. I think I've discovered a way to get my wife into this!")

amg
06-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Dario,

That's great news! I'm so glad to hear that things are progressing well!

Tanti Saluti,

Antonio

ada@prorider.or
06-11-2007, 12:02 PM
dario
that good to hear the treatment works good,let all hope you the old dario soon again

cees

Your_Friend!
06-11-2007, 12:29 PM
dario!
i hope that you recover so fast!
the mind is very powerful
in these cases!
drink lots of fresh organic carrot juice!
and parsely too!

love,
Your_Friend!

jeffg
06-12-2007, 01:27 PM
First of all, I want to thank everyone who has send me emails, cards and general good wishes via whatever means. The outpouring of concern, advice and love has been truly overwhelming and has lifted my spirits beyond what I would have believed possible.

As for my current condition, here is a brief update. Last week I received my first round of chemotherapy. I am taking treatments in Verona and am very confident in the doctors and the care I'm receiving.
the chemo did not cause any nausea and I was actually able to return to work that afternoon. I will continue to a course of monthly treatments with my first big evaluation coming in early August.

I also got good news from my doctors prior to this first treatment, in that my blood values had returned to normal as a result cortisone treatments. They were very encouraged by this which I took as very good news.

Ciao,
Dario

Keep it up and know many around the world are in your corner!

campyguy
06-13-2007, 12:59 PM
:beer: Grandi notizie! Potere il suo successo continua quotidianamente! First of all, I want to thank everyone who has send me emails, cards and general good wishes via whatever means. The outpouring of concern, advice and love has been truly overwhelming and has lifted my spirits beyond what I would have believed possible.

Ciao,
Dario