PDA

View Full Version : mtb fork recommendation

stackie
05-18-2007, 01:28 AM
OK,

So, I'm building up an used Indy Fab. I had purchase a fox f80x on ebay for it, but it turns out the steerer is too short. ( I bought fork, before I had frame, a little too hasty ). Anyway, now I'm having a tough time finding another F80x with v-mounts with an uncut steerer. The new F80x has disc only.

Should I just get a F100x and deal with the geometry change? Or, should I go for a lesser fork that I can find more easily. If so, what fork would you recommend for a bigger guy. 6'4" and 200 lbs.

Thanks,

Jon

theprep
05-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Get the 100X. The travel can be reduced to 80 mm.

You will have to putz around with some springs and spacers inside the fork though.

The Enduroforkseals.com website has great pictorial directions for taking the Fox forks apart and putting them back together.

PS - while you have it apart you might as well install the Enduro fork seals because it is only a matter of weeks before the stock Fox seals start to leak.

michael white
05-18-2007, 09:12 AM
a good custom suspension-corrected steel fork by your favorite builder. I haven't used my sus fork in years.

coylifut
05-18-2007, 09:33 AM
just curious, how much does a used fox f80x go for on ebay these days.

the Reba is a great fork that can be adjusted to very close to 80mm and can be had is now available with canti posts.

gdw
05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
If you're going to use v brakes just purchase a disk specific F80 off of Ebay with a longer steerer tube and swap the lower legs.

shoe
05-18-2007, 11:22 AM
ditto on the steel,

SadieKate
05-18-2007, 12:19 PM
If you're going to use v brakes just purchase a disk specific F80 off of Ebay with a longer steerer tube and swap the lower legs.
Oh sheesh, that is just way too easy. :beer:

PacNW2Ford
05-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Does anyone know if changing the travel on a Fox fork actually changes the static axle-to-crown measurement? On some RockShox models, changing to 80mm just limits the travel within the fork. I am interested in knowing this as I am also about to build up a new but second-hand IndyFab. I like the IF "No Travel" fork option. I will e-mail Fox and post the answer.

DRZRM
05-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Though I'm waiting to get my frame back from Moots so I have not built up the fork yet, after doing a lot of homework I went with the White Brothers Magic 80. I've talked to them about setup and they are super nice (everyone says their customer service is excellent) and people say that the fork is excellent. I can talk to it's finish, and this time next week I should be putting it through its paces. I'll let you know.

Zach

stackie
05-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Wow, Thanks for all of the great responses.

F80x forks go for more than $400 on ebay. I think that it has the rep of being the best fork out there, and MSRP is $750. So, the used ones have a pretty good resale.

The F100x and dropping the travel to 80 might be a good route. Although, I'm liking the recommendation for the Reba. I'm very limited on time, and am not sure that I'm up for a major fork modification right now. I'd rather spend my bike time riding.

Will I really miss the Terralogic lockout if I leave the Fox F80/F100x series fork for the Reba?

Jon

Mud
05-19-2007, 09:37 AM
and find out what it would cost you to have them replace the steerer and get it back to you.

PacNW2Ford
05-22-2007, 12:51 AM
Heard back from Fox, the 80mm models are 450mm long and the 100mm models are 470mm long. My "new" IF was reportedly built for a 100mm. I'm waiting for it to arrive so I can confirm with IF.