PDA

View Full Version : Cable Adjusters

Ozz
05-17-2007, 04:08 PM
A comment about cable adjusters (brass vs aluminum) the thread on Len's Sachs ("Sachs Appeal") got me thinking....how does one use these?

I've always been afraid to touch them for fear of really mucking things up....

How do they work? Who here adjusts them while riding? How do you know which way to turn them?

just wondering....

shaq-d
05-17-2007, 04:14 PM
A comment about cable adjusters (brass vs aluminum) the thread on Len's Sachs got me thinking....how does one use these?

I've always been afraid to touch them for fear of really mucking things up....

How do they work? Who here adjusts them while riding? How do you know which way to turn them?

just wondering....

do u mean barrel adjusters?

adjust them once in a blue moon, when the chain doesn't go to the cog it should. no idea how they work, but do know what they do. they either tighten or loosen the line to the cable. tightening moves the chain to the cog closer to the wheel, loosening farther away. as for figuring out which way to turn, if u don't remember, u just do trial and error. making a full turn is significant; ride a little bit and u easily discern whether u are tightening or loosening; a half turn is usually enough too.

sd

Ken Robb
05-17-2007, 05:03 PM
they allow adjustment for cable stretch and I also sometimes have to make minor adjustments when I change wheels and/or cassettes as there can be small variations in cog placement on freehubs. Usually no more than 1/2 turn.

Jeff N.
05-20-2007, 10:04 PM
They're for convenience, allowing for fine rear derailleur adjustment on-the-fly as well as initial and on-the-fly adjustment of the front derailleur. Front derailleur: Counter-clockwise turns moves the derailleur out. Rear derailleur: Counter-clockwise moves the derailleur in. Jeff N.