PDA

View Full Version : Gravel tires . . . Any faves?

BumbleBeeDave
12-08-2022, 11:06 AM
I've been using Maxxis Rambler 40's on my gravel steed, but now picked up a new wheelset and wondering what else might work for a bit smoother ride on pavement than the Ramblers, but with near or equal traction performance on dirt. Want to stay with 40mm.

Anybody have any favorites that might fit the bill?

BBD

phishrabbi
12-08-2022, 11:19 AM
I know the bicyclerollingresistance (https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/cx-gravel-reviews/rene-herse-hurricane-ridge) review says otherwise, but I've had really good experience with the RH 38mm and 42mm knobbies (both run a little narrow). The traction is amazing, and I've had no trouble keeping up with people on slicks on tarmac.

makoti
12-08-2022, 11:26 AM
I've been happy with my GravelKing SS tires. Granted, I have no tires to compare them to, gravel-wise, but they seem to hold the packed and loose stuff I ride. Easy to mount and take care of.

spoonrobot
12-08-2022, 11:27 AM
Victoria Terreno Dry or Specialized Pathfinder Pro

Tread compound > tread pattern

scoobydrew
12-08-2022, 11:36 AM
Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H

Good puncture resistance and low rolling resistance.

AngryScientist
12-08-2022, 11:39 AM
Will you be using them with or without tubes Dave? My recommendation would be different depending….

herb5998
12-08-2022, 11:41 AM
I've found the Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss in 38 to be really nice, it has a smooth center tread, so it doesn't feel too rough if hitting pavement before dirt/other surfaces. Plenty of grip on the sides. I have mine mounted on some Shamal Carbon wheels, and they are close to 40mm wide at 55psi

Hilltopperny
12-08-2022, 12:06 PM
Any of the Gravel King series of tires will be smoother than the Maxxis. I would give the SK a try.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

buckfifty
12-08-2022, 12:22 PM
I've been using Maxxis Rambler 40's on my gravel steed, but now picked up a new wheelset and wondering what else might work for a bit smoother ride on pavement than the Ramblers, but with near or equal traction performance on dirt. Want to stay with 40mm.

Anybody have any favorites that might fit the bill?

BBD

for a smoother ride on pavement but good traction on dirt, look for tires with a solid or unbroken center tread. I also came from the rambler and went with the pirelli gravel m. definitely felt the gravel m was smoother on pavement than the rambler

TunaAndBikes
12-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Heard good things from TUFO.
Most likely my next tires

mstateglfr
12-08-2022, 12:27 PM
GravelKing SS. I use the 43mm size and love em- on my 2nd set right now.

Ive used Clement MSO, WTB Resolute, GravelKing SS, and two other WTB tires over the last 8 years, all in 40mm - 43mm size.
The GravelKing SS roll the best on pavement and for the gravel roads I ride, they work great. I ride gravel roads though, so substantial lugged tread really isnt needed.
Once I need new tires next year, I will most likely buy the SS again- that speed and observed reliability for the price is tough to beat.

The one negative- the SS tires are infuriating to mount tubeless on my wheelset. They are loose and it takes a lot of frustration to mount. I actually dropped my wheels off at a shop this last time- I will pay $15 per tire to not be angry.
That is very much tire/wheel specific though and other wheels may work great for setting up tubeless.

sokyroadie
12-08-2022, 12:31 PM
I really like the Continental Terra Speed TLR however I am now using tubes, easy to mount also.

sweitee
12-08-2022, 12:33 PM
I've found the Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss in 38 to be really nice, it has a smooth center tread, so it doesn't feel too rough if hitting pavement before dirt/other surfaces. Plenty of grip on the sides. I have mine mounted on some Shamal Carbon wheels, and they are close to 40mm wide at 55psi

I've used these on a couple of bikes in both 38 and 42mm width tubeless and found they work great and have quite solid puncture protection as well (went about a year/ 3000 miles with no flats). I wouldn't trust them as much on wet/muddy singletrack, but on a dry singletrack or pavement they roll well.

It has been a while since I checked out that bicyclerollingresistance site though and its got me interested in the TUFO gravel tires.

cgolvin
12-08-2022, 12:37 PM
I'm very happy with the Schwalbe G-One Allround that I've been using for a few months (with tubes). Was previously on GK SS (32) that were very nice on pavement but seemed less durable than the Schwalbe (cut sidewall after very few miles). Have also heard very good things about the Pirellis mentioned above.

vespasianus
12-08-2022, 12:42 PM

Ive used Clement MSO, WTB Resolute, GravelKing SS, and two other WTB tires over the last 8 years, all in 40mm - 43mm size.
The GravelKing SS roll the best on pavement and for the gravel roads I ride, they work great. I ride gravel roads though, so substantial lugged tread really isnt needed.
Once I need new tires next year, I will most likely buy the SS again- that speed and observed reliability for the price is tough to beat.

The one negative- the SS tires are infuriating to mount tubeless on my wheelset. They are loose and it takes a lot of frustration to mount. I actually dropped my wheels off at a shop this last time- I will pay $15 per tire to not be angry.
That is very much tire/wheel specific though and other wheels may work great for setting up tubeless.

I had trouble getting my set to seat evenly. Took a bit of time and some massaging to get even. But otherwise they were easy to mount and to stay inflated.

What I don't like, is that on my 24mm internal rims, the 700x43 tires are very square, and don't give a sharp ride. I would also say that compared to the Challenge Gravel Grinder Pro tires that they replaced, their ride is very wooden and not nearly as supple. But they don't fall apart, which is why I would never recommend the Challenge Gravel Grinders to anyone!

Hilltopwalters
12-08-2022, 12:45 PM
Pathfinder Pros and Schwalbe G1s 38-42 in both. They rip! Found them to be quite durable, quick on the road and the dirt.

mhespenheide
12-08-2022, 01:11 PM
I think the answer varies widely (or wildly!) depending on your local conditions and definition of "gravel".

spoonrobot
12-08-2022, 01:27 PM
I know the bicyclerollingresistance (https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/cx-gravel-reviews/rene-herse-hurricane-ridge) review says otherwise, but I've had really good experience with the RH 38mm and 42mm knobbies (both run a little narrow). The traction is amazing, and I've had no trouble keeping up with people on slicks on tarmac.

Jan's own test(s) show going from a fast gravel tire to Rene Herse knobbies is equivalent to going from GP5K to Gatorskins. 7.3% slower (in the ideal experiment controlled by the person selling them) is almost 5 minutes an hour - oof.

https://i.imgur.com/6uhgxRw.png

I suppose we can leave it to the reader to decide if it's a good idea to use tires from a manufacturer currently under suit for their tire blowing off a rim. Panaracer makes good tires for the beginner not really interested in tubeless or riding fast - they're relatively cheap and ubiquitous so it's easy to upgrade to more modern tires with modern tread design and multi-compound rubber.

truth
12-08-2022, 01:40 PM
I've had great experience with the Rene Herse knobbies but they don't make them exactly at 40. The work well off-road and incredibly well on pavement.

EB
12-08-2022, 01:48 PM
Oh good another Jan Heine thread.

Putting in a vote for the Michelin Power Gravel. Good tire, and BRR liked it: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/cx-gravel-reviews/michelin-power-gravel

We feel the Michelin Power Gravel is an excellent compromise between speed, protection, tire thickness, and knob height for a CX/Gravel tire. Rolling resistance is a bit higher when compared to the fastest CX/Gravel tires but you'll get better protection and knob height in return. We would be surprised if you had something to complain about with these tires.

vespasianus
12-08-2022, 01:52 PM
Jan's own test(s) show going from a fast gravel tire to Rene Herse knobbies is equivalent to going from GP5K to Gatorskins. 7.3% slower (in the ideal experiment controlled by the person selling them) is almost 5 minutes an hour - oof.

https://i.imgur.com/6uhgxRw.png

I suppose we can leave it to the reader to decide if it's a good idea to use tires from a manufacturer currently under suit for their tire blowing off a rim. Panaracer makes good tires for the beginner not really interested in tubeless or riding fast - they're relatively cheap and ubiquitous so it's easy to upgrade to more modern tires with modern tread design and multi-compound rubber.

There is more to tires than rolling resistance, especially for off road things. Gatorskins suck not because they are slow (which they are) but they feel like crap. Lots of mountain bikers ran Maxxis DHR/DHF's because they felt great off road, even if they rolled like crap compared to stuff from Schwalbe and Continental.

And I don't get your panaracer comment. They are easy to set up tubelesss and roll fast (faster than those specialized pathfinders).

DHallerman
12-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H

Good puncture resistance and low rolling resistance.

Those Gravel H are my new faves. Running 700x40s tubeless on my Gunnar Crosshairs. Supple enough, good ground control, and they’ve been holding air better than any Panaracer, Conti, or RH tires I’ve had.

But I’ll always love Gravel Kings, especially the SS flavor.

rothwem
12-08-2022, 01:56 PM
I liked the Ramblers I had a lot, but I found the Exo casing was a bit fragile on the gravel around me.

I went with Pathfinder's next, and they were bulletproof, but man, I really hate that transition from the center tread to the side knobs. It sketches me out every time. They were also miserable every time a drop of water hit the unpaved parts of my ride.

I settled on the Tracer--I think they're faster than the Rambler with lower knobs, and they have the bulletproof casing of the Pathfinder without the sketchy tread. I'm on my third rear and second front after a year and a half.

My main qualm with them right now is that on my new 25mm internal wheelset, the 38mm is uncomfortably close to the chainstays of my bike. I'd say they're ~41-42mm or so on the wide internal rims. I need to buy a caliper.

prototoast
12-08-2022, 02:00 PM
Gravelkings are good with tubes, but I wouldn't buy they for tubeless.

Vittoria Tereno and Schwalbe G-One (pick your tread based on local terrain) are good all-around options for ride quality and ease of tubeless setup.

merckx
12-08-2022, 02:00 PM
Oh good another Jan Heine thread.

Putting in a vote for the Michelin Power Gravel. Good tire, and BRR liked it: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/cx-gravel-reviews/michelin-power-gravel

We feel the Michelin Power Gravel is an excellent compromise between speed, protection, tire thickness, and knob height for a CX/Gravel tire. Rolling resistance is a bit higher when compared to the fastest CX/Gravel tires but you'll get better protection and knob height in return. We would be surprised if you had something to complain about with these tires.

I've also had good results using Michelin Power Gravel tires. I have only used the 35mm version. They have been very durable, and don't hold me back any more than my diminishing Vo2. I may pounce on a pair of 40mm this summer.

shinomaster
12-08-2022, 02:10 PM
How wide a gravel tire can I put on an open pro or a C17 Zonda? I'm guessing my C17 Zondas would be the best option. They are new to me and my first wider rims, and I'm somewhat amazed by how much smoother then seem with 25's then my older Zondas. So I'm looking for a voluminous gravel tire to smooth out the ride on my old back.

GParkes
12-08-2022, 02:11 PM
I'm happy with WTB Ventures in 40MM for our area Dave. Just sayin'.

JWB475
12-08-2022, 02:14 PM
700x45mm Tufo Gravel Thunderos have been fantastic for me. Pretty light, fast rolling, and wear well. Some people have had issues with punctures but I have not experienced that.

I also like the 700 x 40mm Conti Terra Speeds, but they wear out pretty fast (for me at least).

JLQ
12-08-2022, 02:22 PM
Gravelkings are good with tubes, but I wouldn't buy they for tubeless.

I have good luck with them tubeless on a carbon rim. Curious why you don't like them.

prototoast
12-08-2022, 02:36 PM
I have good luck with them tubeless on a carbon rim. Curious why you don't like them.

On about 50% of the rims I've used them on, they fit loose and leak at the bead. Tires from other brands I've used (Vittoria, Schwalbe, Specialized) fit much more reliably.

BumbleBeeDave
12-08-2022, 02:41 PM
… on Boyd Pinnacle hookless.

Will you be using them with or without tubes Dave? My recommendation would be different depending….

Jaybee
12-08-2022, 02:43 PM
On about 50% of the rims I've used them on, they fit loose and leak at the bead. Tires from other brands I've used (Vittoria, Schwalbe, Specialized) fit much more reliably.

Same. And they seem to have about a 30% success rate for remounting after the bead has been stretched.

Spdntrxi
12-08-2022, 02:46 PM
I had a good experience with 700x35 Terraspeeds. Did BWR with them and a few other rides.

prototoast
12-08-2022, 02:57 PM
… on Boyd Pinnacle hookless.

I would definitely not run Gravelkings on hookless rims.

BryanE
12-08-2022, 03:33 PM
Conti Terra Speed for fast gravel
Or
Schwalbe G-One All Around

Davist
12-08-2022, 03:34 PM
I'm always an outlier it seems around here using DTSwiss PR1600 wheels with GK SS 43s most of the time (hand pump to seat), love them for 90% of dirt road riding (didn't like Schwalbe G ones) for the 10% I'm on snow/really rough stuff I use 650 hookless light bicycle wheels with Schwalbe thunder burts (these take a compressor) in 2.1, yes they weep a little sealant for a while, they're also surprisingly fast and give reasonable traction in all but the deepest mud

BrazAd
12-08-2022, 03:55 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221208/d2b89ba1e7c5835c3e44cdbc79f76405.jpg

I absolutely love the WTB Riddler 44mm tires I put on my 2021 Salsa Warbird in January when I took the boat anchor OEM wheels off and out new Roval CL wheels on.

Almost 2,000 gravel/dirt miles on them since without one issue. Highly recommended!

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHAero
12-09-2022, 09:27 AM
I would definitely not run Gravelkings on hookless rims.

I have close to 5,000 miles on 650B BTLOS M-i22A hookless rim wheels with GK slicks in 38 and 42mm and haven't noticed any issues at all. Running them at high 30s to 45 psi, depending on route. As I have noted previously, the rear tires don't have long life - I get about 2,000 miles on the rear. Mostly pavement but plenty of dirt and D2R2 type rides too.

XXtwindad
12-09-2022, 09:40 AM
Gravel King SK 43c. Not sure what everyone else is talking about :)

NHAero
12-09-2022, 09:54 AM
I'm running 650B on my Bingham, and have a similar wheelset coming for my Litespeed (BTLOS WM-i22A, hookless, 22mm ID). The tires I've been using are Gravelking slicks, 38 and 42mm, tubeless. As the current 42mm pair on the Bingham are almost worn, I will probably go back to 38mm on that bike. I was curious about maybe trying the Litespeed with slightly wider tires, but preferring to stick with slicks rather than knobbier tires. What I seem to notice is that in the GK range, the 42mm weighs 350g and the 48 jumps up to 520g. Looking around at other brands, so far the only larger supple slick I have found is the Rene Herse Switchback Hill in 650Bx48. Are there other 650bx47/48 lightweight supple slicks (say, 400g-ish vs >500g)?

Davist
12-09-2022, 09:59 AM
I'm running 650B on my Bingham, and have a similar wheelset coming for my Litespeed (BTLOS WM-i22A, hookless, 22mm ID). The tires I've been using are Gravelking slicks, 38 and 42mm, tubeless. As the current 42mm pair on the Bingham are almost worn, I will probably go back to 38mm on that bike. I was curious about maybe trying the Litespeed with slightly wider tires, but preferring to stick with slicks rather than knobbier tires. What I seem to notice is that in the GK range, the 42mm weighs 350g and the 48 jumps up to 520g. Looking around at other brands, so far the only larger supple slick I have found is the Rene Herse Switchback Hill in 650Bx48. Are there other 650bx47/48 lightweight supple slicks (say, 400g-ish vs >500g)?

I have a pair of the pacenti badged 42s but I think they're the same as the file tread gravel kings. Rolled much better than expected, and definitely 4 steps up from the stock WTB Horizons

rowebr
12-09-2022, 10:06 AM
Great thread, I have way too many ideas now for new gravel tires to try.

Find a deal on a set of lightly used gravel tires recommended here, get em and try them out. You never know for sure what may work best for the kind of rider you are.

I've ridden 38mm GravelKing SK, 33mm Tracer, 38mm Rambler, and 35mm Bon Jons. My favorites are the Ramblers. On Ramblers I feel the most confident descending and cornering on dirt/gravel, they roll just fine on pavement and very well on a variety of off-road surfaces. One of my best race results was on Ramblers, the 80 mile Dirty Kitten Gravel Race, that's definitely part of the reason I like them!

EB
12-09-2022, 10:19 AM
Same. And they seem to have about a 30% success rate for remounting after the bead has been stretched.

This. I toss Gravelkings in the garbage after they get pulled off the rim. An absolute crap shoot on re-seating after the first time.

gcartelli
12-09-2022, 12:11 PM
I'm very happy with the Schwalbe G-One Allround that I've been using for a few months (with tubes). Was previously on GK SS (32) that were very nice on pavement but seemed less durable than the Schwalbe (cut sidewall after very few miles). Have also heard very good things about the Pirellis mentioned above.

Been thinking about running the Schwalbe G-One RS with tubes. Any comments on the pressures you use?

shoota
12-09-2022, 01:45 PM
I've never had an issue with running GKs tubeless, whether new or re-used. They fit just like any other tire I've used, on several different wheelsets. But that's not why I wouldn't choose them, they don't call them GravelSlings for no reason.

I love Pathfinder Pros however.

NHAero
12-09-2022, 01:55 PM
Snip
they don't call them GravelSlings for no reason.

Do tell what this means please

HTupolev
12-09-2022, 01:57 PM
The tread pattern is good at picking up and throwing bits of rock around.

jch3n
12-09-2022, 02:04 PM
This. I toss Gravelkings in the garbage after they get pulled off the rim. An absolute crap shoot on re-seating after the first time.

Can agree, they seem to be tricky to seat, even the first time! But nothing beats them for value and weight (as far as wide slicks go), so I find myself gravitating back to them every time.

My current trick for mounting them is using a tire lever to set the bead on one side, then most of the way on the other side, and then using a blast can to fully seat.

BRad704
12-09-2022, 02:24 PM
To throw in a model not yet mentioned, I had WTB Byway 40's on for a couple of years and they were great. Slick center and enough corner knobs to "do something" I guess.

mstateglfr
12-09-2022, 02:59 PM

Its been answered, but the SK model specifically is what was known as the Gravel Sling. The slick doesnt hold any stones, its slick. The SS tread design doesnt hold stones either.
The SK though?...that tread placement/width/pattern has something to it so that the term is used in multiple parts- so its a thing regardless of the type of gravel ridden.

owly
12-09-2022, 05:57 PM
...Are there other 650bx47/48 lightweight supple slicks (say, 400g-ish vs >500g)?

Latest [lighter] version of the 1.9inch Simworks Volummy mentions 510gm.

Hilltopperny
12-10-2022, 08:03 AM
I like the Rene Herse Hurricane Ridge in endurance or endurance + casing. I also am running a WTB Resolute front and Nano rear, but they are noisy and not as good on pavement as the Herse tires. The Herse tires have noise canceling tread, good grip for multi use terrain and roll nicely everywhere, but are $$$$. I stopped using their Extralight and even regular casings in favor of their more durable Endurance + version.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

AndersCAAD
12-10-2022, 10:13 PM
I've had great success with Donnelly X'Plor MSO. Roll well great puncture protection, and a nice tread that is good enough for me in everything but proper mud. They are a little heavy, but you can't have it all.

BumbleBeeDave
12-11-2022, 12:52 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! Mow gotta look through all of these and do some research. Thanks to all!

:banana:

BBD

Gabe77
12-12-2022, 07:12 AM
I'm in the middle of building up a do-all bike. Already built the 700c wheelset - using 36mm Strada Biancas. I'm looking for the tyre pair for the other 650b pair of wheels to complete the bike. I'd love to get teh Zipps but in 650B ansd wider - maybe 48 or 52. Why won't they make this?

charliedid
12-12-2022, 07:38 AM
I'm in the middle of building up a do-all bike. Already built the 700c wheelset - using 36mm Strada Biancas. I'm looking for the tyre pair for the other 650b pair of wheels to complete the bike. I'd love to get teh Zipps but in 650B ansd wider - maybe 48 or 52. Why won't they make this?

Tiny market

RowdyRoadyPiper
12-12-2022, 10:42 AM
Been on the Tufo Speedero (40's) for last few months. REALLY liking these for mix of road, gravel and a little singletrack.

checkcheckcheck
12-12-2022, 02:14 PM
the Xplor for sure!!!

martinez
12-12-2022, 04:45 PM
I’ve been reallyyyy enjoying the Pathfinder Pro’s.
Gravel tire rec’s is can be so varied depending on what type of riding you’re doing, but most of my riding is done on road with about 30% on fireroads leading to some singletrack. As long as the trail isn’t super loose or wet these tires have been awesome. I run 700x42’s from 40 psi for group rides to maybe around 28 psi for trail. Only complaint is that breaking isn’t great while descending on dirt but that’s gonna be obviously a thing…but I’ve already managed to control speed a bit better to compensate.

rothwem
12-13-2022, 07:10 AM
I’ve been reallyyyy enjoying the Pathfinder Pro’s.
Gravel tire rec’s is can be so varied depending on what type of riding you’re doing, but most of my riding is done on road with about 30% on fireroads leading to some singletrack. As long as the trail isn’t super loose or wet these tires have been awesome. I run 700x42’s from 40 psi for group rides to maybe around 28 psi for trail. Only complaint is that breaking isn’t great while descending on dirt but that’s gonna be obviously a thing…but I’ve already managed to control speed a bit better to compensate.

I just don't get all the Pathfinder love.

The 38mm ones I had did roll great and had a super tough casing, but they were so sketchy on any kind of turn, paved or otherwise. That raised center section makes for such an abrupt transition to the side knobs, which are so flimsy that they probably cause some degree of uncertainty themselves.

I tried all kinds of pressures, and I've tried them on 19mm internal rims and 25mm internal rims. I just can't figure out why so many people like these tires.

Is it because there's no turns where they're commonly being ridden? I could only see running them in an area where its flat and straight, like how I picture Kansas or something.

spoonrobot
12-13-2022, 07:22 AM
I just don't get all the Pathfinder love.

The 38mm ones I had did roll great and had a super tough casing, but they were so sketchy on any kind of turn, paved or otherwise. That raised center section makes for such an abrupt transition to the side knobs, which are so flimsy that they probably cause some degree of uncertainty themselves.

I tried all kinds of pressures, and I've tried them on 19mm internal rims and 25mm internal rims. I just can't figure out why so many people like these tires.

Is it because there's no turns where they're commonly being ridden? I could only see running them in an area where its flat and straight, like how I picture Kansas or something.
We have a few turns here...

https://i.imgur.com/sXCpAED.jpg

I can't/don't feel any transition when I corner with the Pathfinder Pros, they seem to have excellent grip and good lean-over characteristics. When I was road/track racing I could never feel squared-off tires either so probably a macro/micro-feeler thing.

Most of my singletrack riding this year was on them in either 700cx42/38 or 650bx47, never found them wanting for handling prowess. Tires are getting to be like saddles, tons of variety and lots of room for preference.

What tires do you like or find have good handling?

BumbleBeeDave
12-13-2022, 08:58 AM
. . . and changing the entire focus to what's behind the white rectangle! :crap:

Bigfoot?

Sarah Swallow or Lael Wilcox nekkid?

Secret prototype bike?

Loch Ness monster?

Pierce the White Rectangle! Inquiring cycling minds want to know!

:p

BBD

https://i.imgur.com/sXCpAED.jpg

I can't/don't feel any transition when I corner with the Pathfinder Pros, they seem to have excellent grip and good lean-over characteristics. When I was road/track racing I could never feel squared-off tires either so probably a macro/micro-feeler thing.

Most of my singletrack riding this year was on them in either 700cx42/38 or 650bx47, never found them wanting for handling prowess. Tires are getting to be like saddles, tons of variety and lots of room for preference.

rothwem
12-13-2022, 09:38 AM

Interesting. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

I responded upthread, but I'm a big fan of the Tracers, which I think use a similar casing to the Pathfinder but with a consistent low-knob type tread. I also think Ramblers handle pretty well too, again, another low knob type tread.

BumbleBeeDave
12-13-2022, 02:15 PM
I'm doing my research and seeing an awful lot of good reviews for these. They seem tailor made for the kind of riding I end up doing the most.

But Vittoria apparently advised against using them on hookless rims, which is what I'm planning.

Anybody use them with hookless and have problems?

BBD

AngryScientist
12-13-2022, 02:21 PM
The potential consequences range from inconvenient headache to catastrophe with some tire combinations and hookless rims. I dont think I would run tires that the mfg advises against running hookless; and I'm hardly a rule follower.

That said, I tried the Terreno Drys in a narrower width on my Ritchey for a while and dang if they didnt feel noticeably slower than other tires on hardpack and road. I usually like Vittoria stuff, but I think their tubeless gravel tires are a little overbuilt and on the slow side.

BumbleBeeDave
12-13-2022, 02:37 PM
. . . for the best of these suggestions to run on these hookless Boyd Pinnacle rims. Yeah, it would be kinda inconvenient to have a tire blow off while I'm descending at 35+ mph trying to keep up with you Dirtphalt crazies!

:rolleyes::p

The potential consequences range from inconvenient headache to catastrophe with some tire combinations and hookless rims. I dont think I would run tires that the mfg advises against running hookless; and I'm hardly a rule follower.

That said, I tried the Terreno Drys in a narrower width on my Ritchey for a while and dang if they didnt feel noticeably slower than other tires on hardpack and road. I usually like Vittoria stuff, but I think their tubeless gravel tires are a little overbuilt and on the slow side.

spoonrobot
12-13-2022, 05:35 PM
Interesting. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

I responded upthread, but I'm a big fan of the Tracers, which I think use a similar casing to the Pathfinder but with a consistent low-knob type tread. I also think Ramblers handle pretty well too, again, another low knob type tread.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, lots of riders can feel stuff other riders can't. Or have preference for x but not y.

It did occur to me that I ride the front tire at 20-25% sag which puts both the smooth center strip and (some of) the side feathered knobs in contact with the ground at the same time. So cornering is almost never transition away from only the smooth tread and wouldn't feel as extreme.

I've looked at the Tracer a couple times for the front but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

muttley
12-13-2022, 05:50 PM
My favorite 700c gravel tire is the WTB Resolute. To me it rolls really well considering the aggressive tread blocks. While 42 seems to be a sweet spot size, I do wish they made it in different widths, especially in 650b as I just picked up a set of GRX wheels in 650b. I think it would be a great tire in 650b x 47c for my Revolt. WTB Nanos are also a good tire, same complaint, wish they made them in more sizes.

sfo1
12-13-2022, 06:23 PM
I run the GK SS tubeless in a 38. They do mount up looser on many diff brand rims than most other tires. The simple solution is to get (a) thicker rim tape or (b) double the wrap.

Once inflated, they hold air exceptionally well (I'm generally @ 35-40 psi).

I'll take the loose mount anyday vs. the excruciating tight mount.