PDA

View Full Version : car burglary

Ken Robb
05-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Leslie found the passenger window smashed this morning and the rub strips all stolen from her M3 along with the GPS screen(useless without the master unit in the trunk) and the garage door clicker. :crap:

Conventional wisdom would suggest that I change the code on the opener so the crooks can't get in our garage with it. OTOH, maybe I should hang around with my .45 and hope they come back? :butt: :banana:

Bud_E
05-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Conventional wisdom would suggest that I change the code on the opener so the crooks can't get in our garage with it. OTOH, maybe I should hang around with my .45 and hope they come back? :butt: :banana:

That sucks - I've experienced similar many times. But your idea of waiting around for them to show up again isn't that far fetched. In our recent neighborhood watch meeting it was pointed out by the police officer that it's quite common for thieves to come back to the same house/car after a successful job - sometimes within a few days and sometimes more than once.

gdw
05-17-2007, 11:30 AM
That sucks. Change the access code immediately. The police probably already warned you that burglars try to hit the house the next day while you're at work.

slowgoing
05-17-2007, 11:41 AM
So the car was parked OUTSIDE the garage?

I think there's a simple preventative measure in there somewhere.

I'm with ya, though, the bikes and wine are more precious than a silly car.

Be sure to shoot them while they're facing you and not in the back.

chuckred
05-17-2007, 11:42 AM
OTOH, maybe I should hang around with my .45 and hope they come back? :butt: :banana:

but in CO, there's the "Make My Day" law!

Just be sure you have a good backdrop and they aren't armed more heavily!

Ken Robb
05-17-2007, 12:03 PM
too many bikes, motorcycle and other junk that would be in a basement if California had any basements.

Ken Robb
05-17-2007, 12:06 PM
I hope they come to the house while I'm at physical therapy. The big Bichon Frise (13 pounds) can get the perp on the ground and his 10 pound brother can lick his privates off. :rolleyes:

goonster
05-17-2007, 12:14 PM
passenger window smashed this morning and the rub strips all stolen from her M3

:crap: :crap: :crap:

Take a baseball bat, cruise the area and check all Civics/Integras with 3" fart cans for M3 rub strips! :beer:

Keith A
05-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Ken -- Sorry to hear about this! It's not just the loss of items and inconvenience, but it's the invasion into your personal life that takes some time to get over. BTW, by rub strips...do you mean the door guard things?

BURCH
05-17-2007, 01:30 PM
That is terrible news. My sister was just hit in a very similar crime a few months ago. Definately hurts worse emotionally than financially I bet.

Hope that they never come back.

rwsaunders
05-17-2007, 03:23 PM
They'll be back if they took the garage door clicker. **** Tracy always said "That a criminal always returns to the scene of a crime." A remote webcam on the outside of your home might help to at least catch a license plate (if in fact the car's not stolen).

Ken Robb
05-17-2007, 05:07 PM
we live in a condo and can't park directly in front of our home. I guess I'll just have to give away all the bikes so I can fit both cars in the garage. :rolleyes:

No, wait: I can leave the legend on the street with a Kryptonite lock---nobody could get it then. :banana:

gasman
05-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Ken-

I'm sorry to hear this news.

I can help though-I will keep the Legend nice a clean for you and you just have to stop by my house whenever you want it. ;)

Kevan
05-18-2007, 02:37 AM
Knowing that I'm likely high on your suspect list, I wish to reconfirm that I'm still over here in Rotterdam. Here's my proof:

Kevan
05-18-2007, 02:41 AM
I used their canal instead and saved the .5 euro.

I thought it very American of me.

Ken Robb
05-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Knowing that I'm likely high on your suspect list, I wish to reconfirm that I'm still over here in Rotterdam. Here's my proof:

I have NEVER believed the old story that guys with big feet and hands are big, you know, everywhere but I guess it pays to advertise huh Kevan?

cinelli
05-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Ken,

A recent TV news story told of a couple who had their car vandalized 3 times within a month. They bought a cheap spy camera and caught the 4th attempt on tape. Took the camera to police.....kids caught and arrested. Might be worth considering.

mikki
05-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi Ken,

Similiar experience a year ago at our spa. The first time the thugs broke our carved glass front door, destroying it but getting very little inside. Then a month later, they SAWED THROUGH THE ROOF, coming down through our air conditioning unit (destroying it) and proceeded to break open EVERYTHING that was locked in the entire spa, taking all of our cash, checks, my brand new prescription sunglasses and a bunch of other stuff. I sank into post traumatic stress and for the five days that there was a hole in our roof prior to it being fixed, actually took a baseball bat and hung out in my office from 2-6AM each day. Didn't know if the As_____ we going to come back to steal the thousands of dollars in orginal artwork and equipment or clean us out entirely. It was awful, but a great therapist helped me get back to normal.

So...please do change the access to your place.

Sorry you have to go through this series of trial by fire...hang in there. Normal everyday happenings will seem so boring by comparison, eh?

dave thompson
05-18-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm pretty active when I get back from Italy, aren't I Ken? ;)

The break-in sucks. I had my car window smashed last year and the XM radio taken. Not much value but sure felt violated.

Ken Robb
05-18-2007, 03:49 PM
I just got the estimate: $4100+ of which $1100 is for the monitor and installation kit for my GPS. I'm surprised that BMW has that stuff for a 1998 M3. Heck, you can get a dandy new stick-on-the-windshield GPS for $600+/-

The perps put some small scratches/dents in the doors ripping off the rub-strips. Replacing the window was $196 and done at my home so we are looking at $4300+ for "minor" vandalism/burglary. No wonder insurance is so expensive. This is my first claim with USAA and I've been with them since 1967 so I guess I was due?

Changed the code on door openers.