PDA

View Full Version : kicked to the curb...

J.Greene
05-17-2007, 11:11 AM
The following quote was snipped from velonews. I'm no Tyler fan, but the treatment he's getting from the tinkov team is wrong. The riders have every right to be upset about how they are used as pawns in cycling.

Oleg Tinkov at the Giro

"I think we're finished with him," Tinkov told VeloNews before the start of Thursday's fifth stage. "I wouldn't like to see him at the races anymore. My idea is not to have him on the team anymore and forget about him and all of his doping scandals."

JG

Big Dan
05-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Maybe they can find his twin to ride............

:eek:

BumbleBeeDave
05-17-2007, 11:51 AM
. . . to see what is in Tyler's contract with Tinkov. Can they dismiss him if he is even mentioned in an investigation? This is just typical of the lack of protection of any kind that riders have. I've said it before and will say it again--the ultimate outcome to all of this is that some enterprising sports agent will get the riders together and form a union.

BBD

SoCalSteve
05-17-2007, 12:23 PM
. . . to see what is in Tyler's contract with Tinkov. Can they dismiss him if he is even mentioned in an investigation? This is just typical of the lack of protection of any kind that riders have. I've said it before and will say it again--the ultimate outcome to all of this is that some enterprising sports agent will get the riders together and form a union.
BBD

As a dues paying member of the Teamster Union for the last 27 years (yeah, thats right twenty seven years) I can only see good coming from the riders having some protections in place and a Union will be able to do just that.

As Norma Rae said: Union! Union! Union!

Steve

mosca
05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
...I can only see good coming from the riders having some protections in place and a Union will be able to do just that.+1 It seems like the riders have no representation at all, except for whatever lawyers they can afford.

J.Greene
05-17-2007, 01:22 PM

BBD

I'm sure the contract is not in Ty's favor. What burns me is this guy hired a bunch of questionable riders to get some publicity and hopefully a few results. Then when he has a few young guys start winning he throws the others to the curb. Tinkov knew what he was doing when he hired Hamilton, Hondo, and Jasche. It's disingenuous, even more so than Bruneel being shocked over basso.

JG

Climb01742
05-17-2007, 01:42 PM
What burns me is this guy hired a bunch of questionable riders to get some publicity and hopefully a few results. Then when he has a few young guys start winning he throws the others to the curb. Tinkov knew what he was doing when he hired Hamilton, Hondo, and Jasche. It's disingenuous, even more so than Bruneel being shocked over basso.

JG

exactly. the riders are always portrayed as the only villians in this drama. everyone is in on it, yet when the shiite hits the fan, only the riders coming away covered in it.

what makes this even more galling coming from tinkov is... please show me a pure as the driven snow russian billionaire. especially one who made his dough via liquor.

J.Greene
05-17-2007, 02:00 PM
what makes this even more galling coming from tinkov is... please show me a pure as the driven snow russian billionaire. especially one who made his dough via liquor.

sombody should ask Tinkov how his young Russians in the Giro are able to recover enough to attack and drive a break every day. That's a pretty unusal feat for guys under 23.

JG

Avispa
05-17-2007, 02:21 PM
I am no Oleg's fan.... But I think Tyler and anyone with a problem like his (Puerto involvement, previous suspension, etc.) should know well what can happen to them.

How soon do you think Sanier Duval would drop Millar if they (or someone, for that matter) thinks/finds he is messing with dope again?

Union or no union... I believe that if riders form a Union, then teams will think twice before signing the problem riders again! I do not think Discovery would have jumped on Basso, nor Tinkoff for Hamilton, if there was a union.

Guys like Tyler, Basso, etc. are damaged goods! If you don't think so, just wait and see who is going to sign Landis after the Circus is over. Discovery again? May be... Lance said he believes him.... Just like he said he believed Basso... :p

rwsaunders
05-17-2007, 03:07 PM
...and Barry Bonds keeps on hitting homers, owing his performance to granola, light beer and a Vegan diet.

regularguy412
05-17-2007, 03:14 PM
sombody should ask Tinkov how his young Russians in the Giro are able to recover enough to attack and drive a break every day. That's a pretty unusal feat for guys under 23.

JG

Agreed. And -- How many riders really 'know' what's in that so-called 'B12' shot they receive every day? :confused:

Mike in AR

djg
05-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Have there been any new allegations since Tinkov signed him? Certainly they knew about the suspension already, and I thought that at least the allegations of a linkage to the OP business were there too?