PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Giro commentary

Bruce K
05-17-2007, 08:24 AM
I have barely been following results, etc. on the Giro but it occurred to me that, unlike previous years, there has been virtually no discussion here.

Is the other thread correct that interest in pro cycling is dying?

Is it just too early in the race to get too revved up about what's going on?

Just curious.

BK

J.Greene
05-17-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm slightly less interested than before. I'll watch closer when they hit the big mountains. I'd like to see the KILLER take it. It's time a complete rider win one.

JG

Bittersweet
05-17-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm just as interested but the Giro is very backend loaded this year. It's good to see Petacchi take one and prove he's not done. The Killer and his team looked sharp at the end of yesterday's stage. Either Cunego or Simoni are going to win.

The Giro is also tough because you never know who is going to ride now that the Tour is so much more important. You need a really flashy Italian to make it a great race because if not it tends to be a bunch of second-stringers as the the first team preps for July.

dauwhe
05-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Anybody here have a fantasy Giro team (www.velogames.com)?

I'm having fun with it, especially since I accidentally picked quite a good team!

I won't name names in this thread to avoid spoilers...

Dave and his team "Bob Cook Memorial"

Avispa
05-17-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm just as interested but the Giro is very backend loaded this year. It's good to see Petacchi take one and prove he's not done. The Killer and his team looked sharp at the end of yesterday's stage. Either Cunego or Simoni are going to win....

I would not put all my money on those two, yet. I know they are great contenders, but I if Simoni continues to lose time, he will be in deep trouble. I don't see him taking 3 minutes off Di Luca in a mountain stage, especially seeing Di Luca's shape now; this is of course, unless Di Luca is having a terrible day.

For some reason, however, it seems to me that there are a lot of tired (not so say something else) people in the Giro and the Pro Tour this year.... Look at Bettini. He is not as agressive.

Let's see what happens after Stage 10.

saab2000
05-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Too early to tell.

My hope is for Simoni. But the Giro is often wide open and sometimes relatively unknown riders rise to the top.

I would be very surprised if di Luca can win. He is not a complete rider and is not with the best traditionally in the high mountains.