PDA

View Full Version : Pearl stem vs ttt, cinelli,ect

H.Frank Beshear
12-11-2003, 03:15 PM
Its so nice to be back. Question for those who know more than I(most of you). I am building this new frame up and want to raise the bars up so I have the same drop as my serotta. How much more quill does a nitto pearl stem have than a standard ttt cinelli ect? Thanks. H.Frank

dbrk
12-11-2003, 06:49 PM
The usual TTT quill is 135mm, which is pretty darn short. A Cinelli X1 or comparable is pretty close to that. A Nitto Pearl gives you 150mm and you can easily go to the max line without much flex. Imho, no quill stem ever made has surpassed the Nitto Pearl: the way the both sits flush (like the best Cinellis), the fine finish, and it's never-fail-wedge make this as good as it could get. It's a funny thing: there are so few quill stems left, a real thing to lament by us knuckledraggers who still think that threaded steerers are aesthetically All That and the best part of a (especially lugged) steel bike.

Anyway I will resist the temptation to rant on about how unappealing I find threadless and how fatuous I find the arguments for its superiority as a feat of engineering, but I think I just didn't.

Nitto Pearls can be had from Jitensha Studio, btw, in Berkeley, but ya'll likely know that.

dbrk

H.Frank Beshear
12-11-2003, 08:19 PM
Thanks dbrk I found a NOS ttt synthesis for a steal but I dont know if it will be quite high enough. I should have the headset in over the weekend and then i'll know more. Thanks H.Frank