PDA

View Full Version : Marathon man

sirroada
05-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Well, I have successfully stayed off my serotta to train for grandmas marathon in June. First of all let me say, running has been fun but I can't wait to get back on my bike. The marathon is 3.5 weeks away and I have been running like a mad man. My feet hurt (plantar fascitis), my knees hurt (iliotibial band syndrome) but my heart is really happy. I can see why bikes were invented!! I started running in November barely able to make a 10 minute mile and now I can put out a respectable amateur pace of 8:45. So before I run this thing, does anyone have any advice for me?
I will post after the race and let you all know how it went!! Thanks in advance to those who encouraged and gave advice.

TriJim
05-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Good luck with Grandma, I'm running the Heilbronn marathon on Sunday.

Not sure which marathon training plan you've been using, but the FIRST plan recommends running 3 days, approximately 30-40 miles, per week and encourages cross training. You can find it on the Runners World web site.

I'll share the usual recommendations; start slow, gel every 45 minutes, salt tablets or electrolyte drinks if you are a heavy sweater, and body glide everywhere to prevent blisters, chafing, and the dreaded bloody nipples!

sam.g
05-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Just finished running my 10th, the "Flying Pig Marathon" in Cincinnati last Sunday. Assuming that you've already put in the hard work of bringing your weekly long-run mileage up to the 20 mile level and run through all the aches, pains and injuries, my best advice is to start your taper at 2 weeks before the race. Be sure to start rested and hydrated, never wear anything that hasn't been worn and washed previously, apply personal lubricants generously and tape your nipples with bandaids.

I have found that my limiting factors have to do more with pain and soreness from the accumulated pounding than overall fatigue. But running through the shoot at the finish line makes it all worth while. Enjoy the experience and good luck.

Sam in Cincy

ejh
05-16-2007, 11:22 AM
hay sirroada, good luck and have fun. Do what you have been doing in training. I just did my first race of the year, a 50K on Long Island. I forgot how thick the air is down there. I'll take the alttiude over the humidity any time. Next is 100K in Wisconson, 6/2. :beer:

CalfeeFly
05-16-2007, 11:35 AM
If you have not done your last long run I would do the distance and not the 20 or 22 miles that some training plans have. (Some don't...I remember one saying that was the only distance where "experts" told people to train by not running the distance.) The reason I say to do the distance is that I did for my first marathon and I was very happy that I had. The weather was terrible and that marathon had its slowest times in history due to that. When I was starting to wonder if I had it in me I could and did say to myself...you did it before you can do it again. That is not something I could have said without having done it once before. Some training says to walk at times especially when you are hydrating. This all counts and gets you to the end.

Good luck and I wish you all the best. I believe everyone who finishes the distance winss.

ejh
05-16-2007, 01:17 PM
good point Calfeefly most people think 13 miles is the half way point, but the 20 miles is the half way point. Eric

dirtclub
05-16-2007, 03:39 PM
stay hydrated leading up to your race. water early on and then gatorade or the like later on. energy gels are a good idea. watch your early pace. it is a lot more rewarding finishing on a high note than a slow death. lastly take it easy leading up to the race. as a coach of mine used to say "the hay is already in the barn. anything you do now is just going to take away." it would suck to suffer an injury so close to the event. i am pulling out of vermont city due to injury and the race is only a week and a half away. just do enough to stay fresh and loosened up. good luck.

sirroada
05-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you all know how it goes. Oh...and I can't wait to get back on my bike.

bruce-e-boy
05-21-2007, 06:43 AM
10 mile warm up
10 mile run
10k "race"

Andreas
05-21-2007, 08:01 AM
10 mile warm up
10 mile run
10k "race"

Word.
Ran 20+ marathons, bruce-e-boy hit the nail on the head.

Will never forget how Douglas Wakiihuri passed me in a handicap half marathon on his way to a 1:03 finish time. I ran 1:18, stomping like an elefant (130 lbs and 5'11 at the time).
I did not hear him coming from behind, it was so incredibly effortless, smooth and efficient and quiet.

Oh, well.
Have fun and enjoy it. Follow bruce-e-boy's advice.

Bill D
05-21-2007, 02:06 PM
I ran my first marathon in January and I think I made the mistake a lot of first-timers make: I probably went out a little fast. I was feeling good, probably because I was tapered and rested, so I went just a little bit faster than I thought I might because that pace just felt right. By mile 20, I was regretting that decision, and the last 10k were very tough. I still made it, but those last 10k were a lot harder than they should have been.

So I'll reiterate others' advice to take it out slow and stick to your plan, even if you are feeling really good after your taper. Also, be sure to enjoy yourself out there. It's a long run; enjoy the scenery and the crowds!

-bd

CalfeeFly
05-22-2007, 10:34 AM
A couple of other ideas...taking an anti-inflammatory like Advil before the start is a good idea. I read about doing this years ago to prevent inflamation instead of trying to get "rid" of it once it is there.

Make sure you stay hydrated and your glycogen levels up. Some training programs suggest you walk the water stops so you can get enough liquid in you. I would guess many people who don't finish get dehydrated or run out of "food" in their system and it is not training.

Some people I know carry the Advil along since it will start to wear off into the race. It is a personal choice.

Enjoying the scenery and the day is excellent advice. Also enjoy the runners around you. I got to know some interesting folks in marathons. I even met a 4 time Olympian starting back in 1952. He knew all my childhood heroes like Mathias and Rafer Johnson. That was the good news...the funny thing is he was a race walker and I was "running." He was doing about the first half for the fun of it. He walked 8 minute miles in his day. I also met a lady with MS that then lead to my participation in many MS 150 rides.

Ignore the paces of other people and run your run. Many marathons have relays and folks can be flying by.

If you want to ride some I would. I used riding to cross train. I remember way back then reading about a pro marathon runner who ran her best time when forced to cross train due to an injury. She swam during that period of time.

Last but not least is to taper as another mentioned. That can really mean a lot. Although not a marathon one time I made the mistake of doing a cold wet bike ride the day before a Race for the Cure. It wasn't supposed to rain or get cold and why I did a longer distance was stupid. That race was the most miserable 5 K I ever ran in my life. Being rested is important.

Good luck. My personal favorite motivation when things start to hurt was if I did not finish I couldn't wear the shirt! :)