PDA

View Full Version : Bleriot or LHT for loaded touring?

pauln
05-15-2007, 09:01 PM
I will be going on a 4 month tour of Europe starting in July and am looking at purchasing a good touring bike which can handle a moderate load (up to 40 lbs). Most of the riding will be on paved roads, but I would also like to be able to handle some dirt trails. I need a frame in the 51-53 cm range and am considering the Bleriot because I've read a lot of good things about the 650b wheelsize, especially for smaller frames. I weigh 155 lbs. Do you think the bike can handle 200 lbs of weight on a tour? I have recieved conflicting advice. Some say it can only handle about 20 lbs. That seems quite low. I'm under a bit of a time crunch so I can't go custom. The other bike I'm considering is the Surly Long Haul Trucker, but I wanted to avoid having to use MTB wheels. There seems to be limited options in the smaller size frames other than using MTB wheels. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Serotta PETE
05-16-2007, 05:28 AM
Serotta especially ANDREW can build a steel or ti which would work well. CDA steel is price competitive with all. Another option is Co-motion or hampsten??

fiamme red
05-16-2007, 09:45 AM
The Bleriot should be able to handle 40 lbs. My question is, how readily available are 650b tires in the places where you'll be riding? I'd think that either 700c (622 mm) or 26 inch (559 mm) would be easier to replace.

I'll give you another recommendation: a Bruce Gordon BLT. You can get one fully-equipped (including front and rear Bruce Gordon racks but minus panniers and fenders) for $2,300. It uses 700c wheels. And unlike the Bleriot and Surly, it's made in the USA.

The more expensive model, the Rock N' Road, costs $700 more than the BLT.

http://www.bgcycles.com/blt.html
http://www.bgcycles.com/rnr.html

sg8357
05-16-2007, 11:08 AM
One thing about riding in Europe, if you try the bike routes lots of them are unpaved, ranging from dirt or gravel roads to single track.
Cobblestones aren't uncommon either.

European touring bikes are these fat 35-50mm tired hybrid looking rides.
First trip I rode a Trek 520 with 27mm tires, next trip was on an Atlantis with 35mm Conti Avenue slicks, much much better.

Ditto on the Bruce Gordon, a BLT-x with Bruce's Racks would be the ticket.
The geo on small bikes works better with the 559 wheels.
The Atlantis goes to small wheels on the small sizes too. Bruce Gordons
Rock n Road frameset is same price as the Atlantis, so buy the Gordon.

Scott G.