PDA

View Full Version : NorCal residents: any feedback on cycling Highway 49?

XXtwindad
11-15-2022, 05:33 PM
Planning on visiting family & friends in the Sacramento area over the holidays. I’m thinking of doing a loop that includes Highway 49 from Coloma up through Pilot Hill and Cool to Auburn.

Doable? I’ve read mixed things about cycling H49. Appreciate any feedback. Thx.

username
11-15-2022, 05:51 PM
Beautiful route. Terrible shoulder for much of that section. VERY fast drivers intermittently. Personally? Having ridden it several years ago, I wouldn't do it again.

username
11-15-2022, 05:51 PM
Please note: I fear death. YMMV.

XXtwindad
11-15-2022, 06:17 PM
Please note: I fear death. YMMV.

Not really my bag, either. Don’t care for the “no shoulder” part. I’ve heard that before.

eddief
11-15-2022, 06:38 PM
but the routes on this organized ride are good ones...to do on your own.

https://bikehikers.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=216251&module_id=501402

Ken Robb
11-15-2022, 10:57 PM
but the routes on this organized ride are good ones...to do on your own.

https://bikehikers.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=216251&module_id=501402

I clicked on this site and it confirmed my recollection of twisty roads with no shoulders that appeal to aggressive drivers/riders of all kinds of motorized vehicles.

Steve in SLO
11-16-2022, 12:15 AM
It’s a wonderful road to ride fast on a motorcycle. I’ve done it and it is sublime. Probably not the best road to ride on weekends, although you may find some weekdays not so crowded with motorized crazies.

8aaron8
11-16-2022, 08:20 AM
Hwy 49 does have a bit of a scare factor with the narrow shoulders and fast drivers. Weekdays are usually better than weekends if you plan your ride for the right time of day. I feel fine riding it with a buddy, on my own I may reconsider the route.

SlowPokePete
11-16-2022, 09:46 AM
These comments would tell me this road is NOT a place I would be found riding my bicycle.

SPP

BumbleBeeDave
11-16-2022, 10:15 AM
. . . multiple times and my experience has been that because housing subdivisions are built with infrastructure included, if you're on any kind of main road, it's beautiful–until you hit the town limits line or the area between subdivisions. Then it goes from two lanes with almost full lane shoulders plus sidewalks and landscaping to two lanes, no shoulders, no asphalt whatsoever past the fog line, and usually ditches on either side. Meanwhile, the speeding drivers keep right on speeding.

I'm gonna check out that Party Pardee 100k route when I'm out there soon, but I'm also gonna do some StreetView inspection of it before I ride it.

BBD

I clicked on this site and it confirmed my recollection of twisty roads with no shoulders that appeal to aggressive drivers/riders of all kinds of motorized vehicles.