PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this fixie?

Bud
05-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Socal Steve's thread on fixin' up his Csi got me thinking again about getting into this fixie thing. I found this one (http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/330903070.html) on craigslist and wanted some opinions from the forum.

The seller has dropped the price down from $350 10 days ago. I was thinking about building up my own, but this seems like it might be a decent deal. The crank arms are pretty short, though. What do you think it's worth, assuming it checks out on inspection? I'm not familiar with the frame...

rwsaunders
05-14-2007, 08:21 PM
On sale, that frame alone would set you back about $300. They're a bit heavy (6-7 lbs), but who cares with a fixie. Go have some fun with it.

thwart
05-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Heckuva deal... you can't lose there. I'm certainly no fixie expert :D but most people use shorter crankarms than on their road bike.

SoCalSteve
05-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Socal Steve's thread on fixin' up his Csi got me thinking again about getting into this fixie thing. I found this one (http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/330903070.html) on craigslist and wanted some opinions from the forum.

The seller has dropped the price down from $350 10 days ago. I was thinking about building up my own, but this seems like it might be a decent deal. The crank arms are pretty short, though. What do you think it's worth, assuming it checks out on inspection? I'm not familiar with the frame...

Glad I could help out!

I pulled the trigger today on all the parts I need to make the CSI into a fixie.

Rear wheel (Eno hub-CXP-33 rim), track cog, single speed cog, track chain, brake levers and shorter crank bolts...

Cant wait to build her up and give it a whirl!

Steve

Lincoln
05-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Short cranks are not unusual. They will help keep you from hitting them on a turn. It seems to have some unusual choices on it but I doubt you could put one together any cheaper unless you have a large parts bin. Looks like a solid deal.

I went the other cheap route last year and bought a Bianchi Pista. I really enjoy it for evenings when I don't have time for a long ride.

Bud
05-15-2007, 11:12 AM
On sale, that frame alone would set you back about $300. They're a bit heavy (6-7 lbs), but who cares with a fixie. Go have some fun with it.

What more do you know about the frame? I'm not familiar with it.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to go check it out today.

rwsaunders
05-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Try www.excelsports.com or look at their latest catalog number 90, page 9. A lot of people around here ride Surly's as fixed trainers and as rain bikes (room for fenders and larger tires), given their low cost and sturdiness. At $350, you'll at least sell it for what you paid for it if things don't work out.

A review from their website:

Anonymous :
I’ve had my Pacer for a few years now and I really like it for what it is. I used to live in Seattle and needed a road bike with fender clearance for winter training. I also had a basement full of modern road parts so the Surly was a natural choice. I did think about purchasing a better quality, early to mid 90’s, lugged steel frame, used off of craigslist or ebay but when it came down to it, it was pretty hard to find exactly what I wanted. This bike isn’t as compliant as you would expect from a steel bike. In fact, my Giant TCR1 Aluminum race bike beats me up less (w/same wheel/tire combo), probably because of the long CF seatpost on the Giant. Still, it’s not bad and a better quality, wider tire would help tremendously. Oh, and don’t worry too much about the weight - with a mostly 105 build, Ksyrium Equipes, decent quality parts, bottle cages & a computer, mine (56cm) weighs in at just under 22 lbs.

Bud
05-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I'm up on the Surly frames, just not the mistaya (?) one that the guy mentioned on this bike. I thought that was the frame to which you were referring.

Dekonick
05-15-2007, 10:18 PM
What more do you know about the frame? I'm not familiar with it.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to go check it out today.

Surly makes good cheap steel bikes. I have a Crosscheck that I had fixed, but now it is geared for commuting.

The frame alone would set you back 4 bills, so it is a good buy.

Good luck!

Oh - the Surly Pacer has 120mm rear spacing so you can use track hubs - easier to find bargain wheels built this way than 130mm spacing.
Also it has horizontal drops so you have better ability to adjust your chain for different gearing.

Enjoy!

Dekonick
05-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Surly makes good cheap steel bikes. I have a Crosscheck that I had fixed, but now it is geared for commuting.

The frame alone would set you back 4 bills, so it is a good buy.

Good luck!

Oh - the Surly Pacer has 120mm rear spacing so you can use track hubs - easier to find bargain wheels built this way than 130mm spacing.
Also it has horizontal drops so you have better ability to adjust your chain for different gearing.

Enjoy!

Oops - I just assumed it was a pacer after looking at the picture. After reading the craigslist ad, I am not familiar with that frame.

Doh!