PDA

View Full Version : Big Guys Riding Tubulars??

jhcakilmer
05-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Just wondering if there are any issues with larger guys riding tubulars? My weight varies between 210-230lbs, depending on time of the year, and how much strength training I'm doing.

Also, can anyone give me, or direct me to a protocol for gluing tubulars?

I'm considering trying them, so just want to know what you guys think. Thanks

Ginger
05-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Hey there,

Do a search for posts by 11.4 and Too Tall about tubulars and I think you'll find gluing discussions.

jhcakilmer
05-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks, Ginger, I found some of them.

Anther question....what about machined and non-machined rims.....are there really significant performance differences. Velocity offers so many rims with both options....why would someone pick one of the other?
Thanks

**Maybe I should start a different thread***

djg
05-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm not as big as you are (and I'm pretty darn sure that too tall does not push the scales at 210), so my experience may be qualified, but I don't regard tubulars as especially fragile. Certainly some models are tougher than others, just as with clincher tires, but I don't see any fundamental problem in finding something suitable. In fact, by essentially getting rid of the risk of pinch flats, tubulars may offer certain advantages to heavier riders who want to play around a bit with ideal tire pressure.

I think that there have been some pretty good posts on this board on gluing tires. You might also look at the park tools web site, Zinn's book, and the Yellow Jersey web site for tips.

Too Tall
05-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Just woke up from lunch ;) What do you have in mind? I weight 200 even and beat he!! out of my tubular wheesets. I commute 40 miles 4 days / week into an urban location...potholes, broken pavement and gravel no worries. Tubulars were made for this and used waay before clinchers saw light of day.

My daily wheelset uses a Velocity Escape rim with 32 drilling and ancient DA hubs. My best tubulars for daily life are the Continental Competitions with Conti. Sprinters a close second and Veloflex for weekend go fast or racing. That's the short story.

Congratulations, it is very wonderful you are riding tubulars. Don't look back and most important.... Friends don't let friends ride GAWDAWFUL clinchers :)

Ahneida Ride
05-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I rode Tubulars as a Kid. I was 0ver 200 then.
I never had any problems. Rims would go out of alingement, but
I never had a tire issue and I rarely flatted.

Purchase rims that will sustain your weight and riding stype and conditions.

jhcakilmer
05-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys, but I'm actually not real worried about Tubular durability, as much as what are the pros, and cons of switching to tubulars? Am I going to feel the difference, durability (will they last longer, on average), etc? Is there any issue with weight and tire rolling off the rim (assuming the tire was glued properly)?

I'm a pretty big guy, and I have never had an issue with wheelset. Right now, I'm riding a set of DT Swiss 1450 clinchers, but am considering a set of Tubis. Thanks

BdaGhisallo
05-14-2007, 02:21 PM
You will love the ride of tubulars. Get yourself a nice Velocity Escape rim or a Mavic Reflex rim with a sensible number of spokes and a quality tire and you will never utter the word 'clincher' again without disdain in your voice!

I ride Veloflex Carbons and love them. A warning about continental tubs: due to their nylon casings, they are an absolute B*TCH to get onto the rim sometimes. Veloflex and Vittoria, with their cotton or silk carcasses, go on like butta.

Do not plump for cheap tubs. They are a waste of money and defeat the whole purpose of riding tubulars.

Geoff

musgravecycles
05-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Jason

Search through the archives using specific keywords and you'll find more than enough information.

No worries on rolling one, just isn't gonna happen if it's properly glued.

Bang for buck it's hard to beat sprinters. Warning, they can be pretty tough to get on. Veloflex ride noticeably better, but are more fragile. Are you still ridding your Vittoria Pave clinchers? The Tub version takes it to the next level. As mentioned, if you're gonna try tubs spring for good rubber otherwise your wastin' yer money ( good clinchers are better than bad Tubs).

Pick the rim that reflects your desired characteristics. If you want that "oh-so-tubular" ride spring for some GP4's or Nemesis'. For an all around tough as nails rim Too Tall's Escapes are pretty tough to beat.

jhcakilmer
05-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks J,

The wheelset I was looking at was built up with the Velocity Pro Elite rims......what do you guys think of those? Not the standard classic tubular rim, but probably strong.....I like strong!

Also, they are non-machined, does that really matter? I live in PA, and we don't have many mountains. There are a couple decents of 1 mile, but nothing super steep, mostly rollers!

05-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Velocity clincher rims come either powdercoated or anodized with machined sidewalls for brakes, in anodized finishes without machining (which work fine for brakes, though of course the anodizing rubs off), and in powdercoated finishes (the really wild colors) without machining. The last ones aren't really good for braking, although you can do it if you understand it's a bit unpredictable and messes up the powdercoating eventually.

Velocity tubular rims only come anodized because you can't keep the powdercoating off the tire bed and it will prevent the rim cement from working properly if it gets there. Whether they have machined sidewalls or not doesn't really affect braking, just cosmetics. I've seen a couple shops that sandblast Velocity Pro Elite tubular rims to remove the anodizing, then mask the tire bed and powdercoat the rest. These are made for track or fixie use without brakes.

musgravecycles
05-15-2007, 07:16 AM
J,

I have an incoming wheelset with Pro Elites, should be here in the next week (Joe Young build 28h DA-9/PE's for those who want to know). These will be an all around workhorse wheelset with sprinters for the time being.

I came up with these while we were still living in MI, they'd be perfect for flat to rolling. Not to sure how they'll be now that we're living in NC mountains... Good training wheels in any case...