PDA

View Full Version : Jamaica Anyone? Jah Mon...

dbrk
12-24-2003, 05:15 PM
We leave on Saturday for a week in Jamaica where I'm "working"...yeah, sure...actually it's a yoga retreat and I've got to teach...but it's likely I'll have time...So, has anyone ever been to Jamaica and checked out the riding? I can bring a bike, no problem, but there are a few issues:
*are there roads enough to ride?
*would it be "safe" enough?

All experience and input is most welcome.

merry, merry to all!!

dbrk

RDP
12-24-2003, 05:29 PM
Lucky you....closest I've been to it is St. Croix, USVI. Have fun and be safe. Looking forward to the ride report.

Happy Holidays.
R

dave thompson
12-24-2003, 05:36 PM
The roads on most, if not all islands in the Caribbean are primitive compared to our standards and crowded with drivers not the best. Enjoy yourself in other ways. Personally, I'd lay on the beach, listen to the music and eat the food.

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2003, 06:05 PM
If the roads are unreliable this might be the best way to enjoy your trip.

In any event, I’m jealous! I am going to have a great holiday with my daughter, but of course, it would be even better laying on that beach!

Have a great trip, Doug!

BBDave

rwl
12-24-2003, 07:46 PM
Douglas,

Yep. It's swivel-headed riding, both for the scenery and the traffic. Imagine Boston drivers, but all under 25 mph and you've got the idea. (Apologies to the Bostonians out there). I'd leave the bike at home.

Have fun. It sounds like a relaxing trip.

Rick

M_A_Martin
12-24-2003, 09:02 PM
I believe Dirt Rag had an article on mountain biking in Jamaica, including a particular outfitter who was an excellent guide. I don't think I have a copy, but you might try their web site. If I find the article in the next day I'll post the information. You might be able to drop the outfitter a line and ask about road biking...perhaps a cyclocross might do? That could be tons of fun depending on the trails there!

Ginger
(currently searching for cheap flights out of this mess of Detroit to somewhere warm...no bike though, not yet:( )

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2003, 09:21 PM
. . . several articles about mtb’ing in the Caribbean, and most of them commented on the, ah, “informal” roads and the friendly people.

BBD

Climb01742
12-25-2003, 06:43 AM
hey, no cracks about boston drivers. speed limits, stop signs, lane markers, yield signs, traffic laws, those are all just suggestions, rights?

Kevin
12-25-2003, 07:31 AM
I drive in the New York metro area so you must forgive me. What is a speed limit, stop sign, lane marker, yield sign, traffic law, etc.? The next thing you are going to tell me is that I have to drive on the right side of the road.

Kevin

Bruce H.
12-25-2003, 08:16 AM
I honeymoond in Jamaica 1n 1972. I doubt much has changed, but then it has been 31+ years
They drive on the "wrong" side of the road than we do here.
They kept honking their horns at us and kept going unyil we drove off the road. (We met a couple also on their honeymoon . They did not go off the road and wound up in the hospital after a head on..fortunately the speeds are slow so nothing serious)
It is quite warm, so you should acclimate for a time.

I would not tell you to leave your bike at home, but I for one would hate to lose your valuable imput on the forum!!

Have a great time. There is loads to do on Jamaica without a bike
Bruce H.

P.S. those icons...YUCH!!!!!!!

sharky
12-25-2003, 09:48 AM
Take your bike!

I have taken mine to Aruba several times, St. Lucia, Dominica (very primitive), and St.Thomas. If you are able to get out of the city, the riding will be very scenic, hilly and challenging. The drivers in the caribbean are kind of crazy but they are used to bicycles and walkers on their narrow roads, just be cautious and bring plenty of tools, tubes, and a spare tire. You'll have a blast!
Wish I were going, it's cold here in FL

Sharky

Bruce H.
12-25-2003, 09:57 AM
Sharkey,

Perhaps you are not South enough. I just got off the phone with mt relative in Key West. It is in the low 70's.
Ubfortumately I am moving there late spring and I abhor hot weather.
It's sunny and a beautiful 35 here in eastern Pa.
Bruce H

davep
12-25-2003, 09:32 PM
Bruce H,

Once you've been here for awhile, low 70s is cold :).

Bruce H.
12-26-2003, 06:36 AM
Thanks Davep. They keep saying I will acclimate. I hope that is true.
BruceH

BumbleBeeDave
12-26-2003, 06:45 AM
From aerial photos I have ever seen, it seems like about the size of three or four football fields. Where on earth are you going to ride?

Come to think of it, though, maybe I was mistaken. As I understand it, the barn where dbrk stores all his bikes is ALSO the size of three or four football fields, so maybe I am just confused!(Grin)

BBDave

dbrk
12-26-2003, 10:13 AM
So I called the place we are staying in Jamaica this morning trying to check out the cycling possibilities...not that folks really understand us roadies, it sort of takes one to know one....most think that biking meaning a beach stroller, of course...but the lady on the phone was nice and nearly impossible to understand (and I can hear through a lot of accents). She seemed to suggest it was not a bad idea---literally, "no problem, mon...".

I'm packing up my IF cross bike which, to be honest, is the beater in the stable. It's been ridden and scratched. I'll put it carefully and correctly in my Sci-con case and hope the hassle and the security make it easy enough. I also hope, as always, that it gets there. Packing knobbies just in case but riding Riv Ruffy Tuffys.

I'll give you a report on the riding when we get back next week. Wish me some luck. Get this: even I'm going to bring a helmet. Here's where we are goin'...http://www.goodhopejamaica.com/
See'ya' on the other side. Take care all!

dbrk

BumbleBeeDave
12-26-2003, 10:20 AM
widdout you . . . No problem, mon!

BBDave

Tom Byrnes
12-26-2003, 01:08 PM
BBDave - You're right about dbrk's barn. Luckily, he has several more acres on which to expand his barn as his collection grows.

dbrk - I hope you and Aimee have a great time in Jamaica. It will be a welcome break from your Rochester winter. Happy New Years.

Tom