PDA

View Full Version : Skeleton Brakes and Serotta Steel Fork

Giff
05-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Just recently picked up a set of Campy Skeleton Centaur Brakes and installed them on my Atlanta that has a Serotta Steel fork. Noticed tonight that the tire, which is a 700x25 rubs the bottom of the brake body. Has anyone else experienced this or can anyone offer a solution other than a new tire?

Thanks!

thwart
05-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Not sure I'll be of much help, but I've got a '94 Colorado TG (with steel fork) and 2007 Campy Veloce Skeleton brakes... no problems with Mavic Equipes/Vredestein Fortezza 23's or with Mavic SSC SL's with Vittoria Corsa CX's---again 23 mm.

If memory serves there is a device to move the mount for brakes, but if it comes to that, just getting a new 23 mm for your front tire might be easier, and perhaps cheaper.

Or... I've got a pair of Centaur 2005 brakes and would be happy to trade... I'll pay postage... :D Just recently picked up a set of Campy Skeleton Centaur Brakes and installed them on my Atlanta that has a Serotta Steel fork. Noticed tonight that the tire, which is a 700x25 rubs the bottom of the brake body. Has anyone else experienced this or can anyone offer a solution other than a new tire?

Thanks!

Giff
05-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah, IIRC, Rivendell has an offset bolt. I would not think I would require one, though. Just seems kind've off. The old Ultegra brakes I took off had plenty of room between the brake body and the tire and I'm pretty sure that that reach is comparable on them. Is there some sort of adjustment for the front arm so that it does not return so low? I don't see that in the Campy literature, but....

The bike is finally becoming less of a frankenbike and more of a Campy bike, and at my size, the 25s are a much better option than 23s....

And I'm NOT about to give up my new skeleton brakes! These things are WAY too nice to do that and the old girl just deserves them!

thwart
05-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Here's a close-up; looks like a lot of room with a 23 mm tire in the photo...

That's a Corsa CX, not a terribly small tire (for its size).

Yep---Campy's got another beautiful part here. :banana: Hard to clean, though.