PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Mavic hubs...

oldguy00
05-13-2007, 04:35 PM
OK....I have a set of 2005 Mavic Cosmic Carbones. Recently while going downhill at about 40 mph, freewheeling, not pedaling, the hub (rear, I think) started making an awful and loud noise.....like the mating call of a whale! Seriously. Scared the hell out of me. I was expecting to go over my bars or something, but it didn't happen. I slowed to a stop, and could find nothing obvious wrong, and continued on without problem. When I got home I took apart both the front and rear hub, lubed/cleaned everything, but found nothing specific wroung that I could notice. When riding today (a couple of weeks later) I noticed it again, but to a lesser degree, kind of felt it rather than heard it, felt like drag....
Anyway, my buddy who rides Mavic Ksyrium Elites, had the same experience today while going downhill as I originally had. He too was able to continue on with his ride after stopping.

Any ideas whats going on?!?! Help!

Serotta PETE
05-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Sounds like a question for Mr. SPOKES>... If he does not know, I can ask a friend who use to work for MAVIC. (he is now retired and spending the summer at YELLOW STONE>...

PETE

guyintense
05-13-2007, 11:23 PM
There was a tech article about this on velonews:
http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/11054.0.html

oldguy00
05-14-2007, 06:26 AM
OK, at least I know what it is now, an issues or issues with the freehub/pawl mechanism. Wonderful...