PDA

View Full Version : Longest Running US Stage Race?

little.man
06-10-2004, 12:21 PM
The club that I am in is about to put on it's annual stage race. To the best of
our knowledge, it is the oldest, consecutively running stage race in the country.
It will be the 33rd running of this race. Does anyone know of a stage race in
the US that have been going on longer, consecutively?

http://www.gnofn.org/~nobc/tdlinfo.htm

There is a report on the original race, won by a current member of the USPS
masters team, which makes for interesting reading. There is also a race
report under the 2002 race results. Interesting how certain things have
changed over the years.

Mark

Russ
06-10-2004, 01:49 PM
I think it is interesting to see how they mix the catergories in this and many races in the USA. I am aware that this is due mostly because the money is tight, but I like to rant about it...

I see there is a Cat.1/2/3 race and then a 4's race. And all the races are the same distance, and probably over the same course!

I personally think it is unfair to have a race where the categories are mixed and then just have the prizes/placings for the top ten/top three placings or so. This is more important when trying to get USCF points... For instance, if there are Cat. 3's on a race, mixed with Cat. 1's, those Cat. 3's should get points (or prizes) as they fininsh in their own category, as opposed to where in the race they finish...

Do you wonder why there are so many Cat. 2's in this country? The reason is that they all get stuck in these races with Pro. Cat.1/2, and it is very difficult to move up once you are racing against Pros with organized teams, etc. when you are a Cat. 2, racing by yourself most of the time...

I sincerely I hope the stage race you mention continues to make it for a long time, as for us in America, a liitle cycling is better than no cycling at all...

Roy E. Munson
06-10-2004, 01:58 PM
For instance, if there are Cat. 3's on a race, mixed with Cat. 1's, those Cat. 3's should get points (or prizes) as they fininsh in their own category, as opposed to where in the race they finish...

I disagree. What you get are Cat 3's who get to the race and do nothing but follow wheel's all day, just enough to cross the finish line with the claim they were the first Cat 3 across the line. You may finish 5 hours after the Cat 1/2's, but you still get points? Complete bs. And if it's a race with all Cat1/2's and you're the only Cat 3, a simple finish gets you top upgrade points?

And the Fitchburg-Longsjo Stage Race is in it's 44th year.

Russ
06-10-2004, 02:08 PM
....What you get are Cat 3's who get to the race and do nothing but follow wheel's all day...

No kidding.... Don't some Pros do this as well? Or is following wheels a thing reserved for Cat. 3's only?

....And if it's a race with all Cat1/2's and you're the only Cat 3, a simple finish gets you top upgrade points?

I thought you would be smarter than that!!!! Doesn't it make sense to you to think that in the same way a rule can be made saying that in order to get points, there must be a minimum number of riders in that category?

e-RICHIE
06-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Roy-issimo wrote:
"And the Fitchburg-Longsjo Stage Race is in it's 44th year."

it's only been a multi-day event
for about 12 years. it was a one day
race all those prior years. i think
nevada city is older - as one day
races go.
e-RICHIE

ps

:cool: :cool: :)
;) ;) :confused:
:D :D :)

Roy E. Munson
06-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Are you with the media? You took 1/2 of a quote out of context.
As far as I know, pro's aren't following wheel's simply to finish to get upgrades, unless I missed something. They may suck wheel's to get a good result (Bobby Julich's 3rd at the Tour), but not simply to finish which is what happens when people are looking for an easy upgrade.

There actually is a rule saying there has to be a minimum field size to qualify for upgrade points. For 3-2, it's 50 riders. If you can't get enough 3's to warrant their own race, I doubt you're going to get 50 of them to enter a 1/2/3 race either. I see your point, but it only results in riders getting upgrades to Cat's they have no business being in. I've seen it happen, so I'm not just talking what in theroy could happen.

e-Ritchie - thanks for the clarification. I have a question, can you make an entire sentence without any word, just icons? :)

e-RICHIE
06-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Roy axed:
" I have a question, can you make an entire sentence without any word, just icons?"

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

e-RICHIE®™©

Roy E. Munson
06-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Not bad! :beer:

my2cents
06-10-2004, 03:23 PM
... determined not by who crosses the line first but by which american crosses the line first? If it works for the pros, wouldn't it work for the 2s and 3s? You and I may not like the format, but if they implement it in Philly, then it is reasonable to assume that it will work at least as well at all other levels (assuming the scorers are able to keep track of everyone - which they probably can't).

Roy E. Munson
06-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Well, I must admit that the format for the US Pro race is utterly ridiculous. I had this exact conversation with a friend last evening. Fourth place gets you the jersey? Come on, why not limit the race to American license holders and the winner gets the jersey? I realize that this current format is solely to cater to fans and sponsors, so that's fair enough, but I don't think other countries subscribe to this format? Someone please tell me if I'm wrong.

I understand your reasoning of applying this format to Cat 2/3 cycling, but in reality I don't think it works.

Johny
06-10-2004, 05:17 PM
I realize that this current format is solely to cater to fans...

The best part in Philly last year is meeting Andre Tafi and taking a photo of him and me. :beer:

You may finish 5 hours after the Cat 1/2's...

Mario Cipollini in the TDF? He did not even finish. :D

little.man
06-10-2004, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=Russ]I think it is interesting to see how they mix the catergories in this and many races in the USA. I am aware that this is due mostly because the money is tight, but I like to rant about it...

I see there is a Cat.1/2/3 race and then a 4's race. And all the races are the same distance, and probably over the same course!

I personally think it is unfair to have a race where the categories are mixed and then just have the prizes/placings for the top ten/top three placings or so. This is more important when trying to get USCF points... For instance, if there are Cat. 3's on a race, mixed with Cat. 1's, those Cat. 3's should get points (or prizes) as they fininsh in their own category, as opposed to where in the race they finish...

[QUOTE]

The reason for the mixing of the cats in this area, imho, is due more to the
number of racers. This is not a big race compared to other areas of the
country. 170 - 200 total riders is a lot. This race ends up with something
like - 50 cat 5's, 25 - 35 cat 4's, 50 cat 1/2/3's, 25 - 35 Masters, a handful
of women and a couple of jrs. The 1/2/3 race is comprised more of 2's and
3's than 1's. The majority of races in this part of the country put 1/2/3's
together. Only at very large races where there is a pro/1/2 is there a
separate cat 3 race, like Texas where there is a large contingent of racers
and sponsorship money. The total number of registered racers in this
state is 200.

As for using the same course, sure. A handful of volunteers puts this on and
the road course is the hardest part to put together. No major hills in this
area, so a different course would really not add anything to the race, but
would make putting it on much harder.

Mark

Russ
06-11-2004, 12:55 AM
1) ...The reason for the mixing of the cats in this area, imho, is due more to the number of racers
2) ...The 1/2/3 race is comprised more of 2's and 3's than 1's
3)...Only at very large races where there is a pro/1/2 is there a separate cat 3 race, like Texas where there is a large contingent of racers and sponsorship money.

Thanks for the note littleman.... I numbered the issues above, because I think they are in one way or another, realted to what I said earlier: "I am aware that this is due mostly because the money is tight..."

Do you have an idea how many 2's and 3's are in the race? I ask because it would also be nice to have "qualifying races", just like the big marathons do... Before you could enter the NYC Marathon, or the Boston Marathon, I think you have to run a qualifying marathon...

But hey, when I made my initial comment, I was not planning on fixing the entire US racing scene. I just don't think that the way the whole thing organized now is going to help us cultivate better riders or better races.

Take care.