PDA

View Full Version : ? on TT tires

sokyroadie
05-12-2007, 08:20 AM
What is a good time trial clincher tire? I am fairly light - 145# and the roads are very good. So far my leading candidate is the Conti. Supersonic 700x20c (140g) or 23c (155g) PBK has them for $32.14 (incl 5% off) any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeff

coylifut
05-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Tour magazine from Germany has done extensive testing on the rolling resistance of tires. The Michelin Pro2 race came in second or 3rd as I recall. The #1 tire was some Deda tire that I've never been able to find. The Conti Tires all finished some where in the middle to the rear of the pack. probikekit.com routiney has the Michelins for under $30. You may want to opt for a narrower one up front.

Mud
05-12-2007, 12:56 PM
and they seem to love the Corsa CX. I ride them (tubular) but we sell lots of clinchers and almost all Tri. The roadies prefer the Fortezzas that they can pump up to 170#. All of this means squat but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

zap
05-12-2007, 04:45 PM
What is a good time trial clincher tire? I am fairly light - 145# and the roads are very good. So far my leading candidate is the Conti. Supersonic 700x20c (140g) or 23c (155g) PBK has them for $32.14 (incl 5% off) any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeff

What rims?

Supersonics are OK. I race (tt) one on the front and it works, but I only bought it because the lbs had it and I needed a tire pronto.

Yesterday I installed Conti's just released 4000 chili's (really s) on our new tandem wheelset and plan on testing it tomorrow. There supposed to be hot (low rolling resistance) and comparable to michelin pro2 race. Only come in 23 but that works well with many aero rims.

Orin
05-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Tour magazine from Germany has done extensive testing on the rolling resistance of tires. The Michelin Pro2 race came in second or 3rd as I recall. The #1 tire was some Deda tire that I've never been able to find. The Conti Tires all finished some where in the middle to the rear of the pack. probikekit.com routiney has the Michelins for under $30. You may want to opt for a narrower one up front.

Those Dedas aren't made any more.

Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX are a bit faster than the Michelins, but aren't anywhere near as flat proof.

For a TT, you want a tire _the same width as the rim_ on the front for best aerodynamics so pick a 20 or 23 depending on the rim. The rear isn't as critical - so you can use a 23 with as much air in it as the tire/rim allows. A wider tire _at the same pressure_ has less rolling resistance than a narrower tire. However, at TT speeds, aerodynamics wins, hence the potential of going to a narrower tire on a narrower rim at the front.

Confusing isn't it.

Orin.