PDA

View Full Version : Build Advice?

scrooge
05-11-2007, 09:20 AM
This afternoon I'll be attempting, for the first time ever, to build up a bike on my own. I know a lot of you will say its simple, but I'm intimidated (my mechanical skills are, um, lacking...).
So, any tips? Places to lube, parts to be careful with torque? Its an MTB (with disc brakes, which I've never before delt with), if that matters...
Thanks

Bud
05-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Dude- have fun. The experience is rewarding. Take your time and enjoy it.

Let me know if you need to borrow any tools, unless you'd like to use this opportunity to buy some! I don't have a huge spread of bike tools, but I've got a few important ones.

ti_boi
05-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Make Bob Cratchit do the dirty work.

J.Greene
05-11-2007, 09:35 AM
it's like being with a woman for the first time......meaning it goes easier the second time.

JG

This afternoon I'll be attempting, for the first time ever, to build up a bike on my own. I know a lot of you will say its simple, but I'm intimidated (my mechanical skills are, um, lacking...).
So, any tips? Places to lube, parts to be careful with torque? Its an MTB (with disc brakes, which I've never before delt with), if that matters...
Thanks

CNY rider
05-11-2007, 09:41 AM
it's like being with a woman for the first time......meaning it goes easier the second time.

JG

Well sort of....but building your first bike takes a long time and gets faster the more you do it :beer:

scrooge
05-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Dude- have fun. The experience is rewarding. Take your time and enjoy it.

Let me know if you need to borrow any tools, unless you'd like to use this opportunity to buy some! I don't have a huge spread of bike tools, but I've got a few important ones.

Thanks, Bud...I have a start on tools, and am trying to accumulate my own (I've sworn off paying bike shops to do my work...figure I'd rather invest for the tools...)
But what are the important ones?

J.Greene
05-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Well sort of....but building your first bike takes a long time and gets faster the more you do it :beer:

and the bike does not make it's own lube. Yikes...I can't believe I just said that.

JG

xlbs
05-11-2007, 10:10 AM
I'd suggest you choose a series of operations to perform in an order that suits you.

Here's an example of a listing:

Before anything, lubricate lightly all threaded points (bottle cage screws, brake bolts, derailleur dropout, fasteners in brifters, studs for brakes, etc. before any other assembly, + lubricate seat tube if necessary, depending on materials...

Lay out each set of components and review tools...

1) Install headset
2) Install bb
3) Install r. der.
4) Install cranks
5) Install f. der
6) Install stem and bars
7) Brifters/shifters/brake levers
8) front brake
9) rear brake
10) drop wheels in (tires mounted...)
11) brake or gear cables to rear first or front first, but choose one end and work from there
12) set brakes
13) install chain (messy sometimes, so leave it to the last, almost...)
14) set derailleurs
15) saddle, seat post, tape bars/grips etc.

Relax and enjoy!

Dan Le foot
05-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks
I understand Scrooge.
I'm the same way. I just rebuilt both our MT bikes. (Litespeed ti)
It took me a lot more time than the local wrench. But I learned a lot and had some fun. Next road bike rebuild I will do myself with a lot of confidence. (Except for headset)
My advice is to not be overwhemed. Take each component one at a time. Get a good book from the shop. (I used Zenn) Another resource is Park Tools online. Print out the directions to have right by you in your shop. Just go slowly. Buy the correct tool as you go along. The reference material will guide you. I was surprized how easy it was..... Even for a mechanically challenged individual like me.
Good luck and have fun. Errrr, did I mention take your time? Oh, if you get stuck ask for help here. Lotsa knowledgeable folks here will be glad to give advice.
Dan

Bud
05-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Park CN-10 cable cutter/crimper, bb tools, chain whip, a good set of allen wrenches and sockets for 1/2" drive, open ends 8 through 16 mm, grease and lubes, and I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting.

If you're building wheels: spoke wrenches, truing stand (borrow a Park TS-2 from someone like I did), tensiometer, anti-sieze and grease.

SoCalSteve
05-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks, Bud...I have a start on tools, and am trying to accumulate my own (I've sworn off paying bike shops to do my work...figure I'd rather invest for the tools...)But what are the important ones?

My kind of guy!

There is a sequence to adjusting the front and rear derauillers. I assume that you are using Shimano, yes? If so, the technical owners manual that comes with every piece is quite good and gives you the sequence laid out, read it carefully and follow it step by step...

If you do not have the owners manuals, they can be downloaded from www.Shimano.com

Another great resource is www.Parktool.com its the modern version of the Zinn book. Also, if you'd rather read than poke around online, the Park big blue book is another great resource.

Good luck!

Steve

PS: Every place you screw something into something else is where you need lube. (no sexual reference here).

PSS: Buy the good (expensive) tools. I dont care what anyone else tells you on here, spending a bit more on tools will save you time, energy and less chance of messing something up along the way. Park and Pedro makes great tools. Dont settle for less.

Bud
05-15-2007, 09:54 AM
So how'd it go, Scrooge? All built up and riding?

Dave B
05-15-2007, 10:39 AM
PSS: Buy the good (expensive) tools. I dont care what anyone else tells you on here, spending a bit more on tools will save you time, energy and less chance of messing something up along the way. Park and Pedro makes great tools. Dont settle for less.

This could not be more true. When you go into shops, they all have good tools. maybe not alof them, but darn near most.

I too got tired of waiting and paying for others to do the work. I bought the tools over a year and now people (friends) pay me to build their bikes. It is fun to see parts come together and a machine function properly.

I love road bikes, because a good build means you hear almost nothing on the road. That is a cool feeling.

alos unless you are in the room do not let people borrow your tools. They may not know how to use them, and really screw it up.

Have fun, when you build that confidence you need, you will be amazed at how much fun it can be.

scrooge
05-15-2007, 04:58 PM
So how'd it go, Scrooge? All built up and riding?

I had a good time--but did cop out and have a friend who works as a mechanic come in and finish the derailleurs (was getting impatient and wanted to go for a ride!).
Pics here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=347037#post347037) if you'd like to take a look

rwsaunders
05-15-2007, 08:06 PM
There are a couple of bike repair shops in Seattle and Pittsburgh (where I split my time) that are the havens for the messengers. There are always bikes in various stages of repair and build in those shops. The shop owners charge nominal fees in allowing them to use the stands and tools, all the while offering encouragement and advice.

My bet is that there are some free-form bike shops like that as well in Denver that will take you under their wing in terms of helping with your build. Check out your local Craigslist or other "city paper" for information. Perhaps Denver area Forumites have a lead?