PDA

View Full Version : Spd-sl

Bittersweet
05-11-2007, 08:42 AM
The plastic plate in the center of my SPD-SL pedal has completely worn out and I've worn down into the aluminium. I live in the sticks and my LBS's eyes crossed when I asked for replacement parts. A big "Huh???" Anyone know where I can get these plastic pads and if these are effective at solving the slop?

-dustin
05-11-2007, 08:57 AM
http://planocycling.com/page.cfm?PageID=81&action=details&sku=PD6605

I believe that's what you're looking for, correct? If so, any shop with a QBP account can get them. Just need the part number (PD6605).

PaulE
05-11-2007, 09:02 AM
I love my LBS to death but they gave the same answer to my buddy when his were worn down. When I converted three bikes to these pedals I bought them from probikekit.com and each set (two ultegra and one 105) came with spares. My buddy's squeaking problem didn't go away with new plates, even though his were worn. The price here is for one plate - you need to buy two to get a pair.

http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?ID=BPC306688

davids
05-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Here's another source for you: http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=PD%2D7800+Body+Cover+each&vendorCode=SHIM&major=5&minor=6

Bittersweet
05-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks. I was struggling to find them on the internet so I'd have a part number. All the pointing and explaining was met with "just buy a new pair".

Ti Designs
05-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks. I was struggling to find them on the internet so I'd have a part number. All the pointing and explaining was met with "just buy a new pair".

SPD-SL's are an odd animal. They were Shimano's usual top down design plan, starting with Dura-Ace and working down a level each year. When they design Dura-Ace anything it's an exersize in overkill, so they looked at the basic design of the platform (Look Delta) and made a list of things that could be better. Anyone who's owned a set of Look pedals with the machined aluminum top surface knows the wear that even plastic cleats form over time, so Shimano made the wearing surface replacable. Makes sense to me, 'cept they forget to tell anyone. There was a spare pair of plates in every box, but who reads instructions on pedals these days? Here's the problem, when you wear past the plastic and into the aluminum, replacing just the plastic no longer does the job. The replacable surface plate takes the load but the aluminum pedal is what stabalizes the cleat. With that gone the wear plate doesn't last very long and you're right back where you started.

I'm not one to simply say "get a new pair" of anything (I'm still on 9-speed, 5 years ago I was on 7-speed), but given the changes made, this may be a good time to take a new look - er, I mean check out the new pedals... Shimano had replaced the plastic plate with steel and made the platform larger to stabalize even at the far reaches of it's float position. As one who works a lot with people with knee, hip and ankle problems I can see myself selling lots of these.

Bittersweet
05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks Ti. I had a sneaking suspicion that was the case. Deferred maintenance bites back. I really started noticing the slop and rocking now that the weather is nice and I'm off the rollers. The new metal plate '07 SL totally addresses the problem area and I've worn things down pretty badly into the aluminium on mine. I rode a pair of yellow Mavic (Look) pedals for eight years and nothing got this funky so I have to admit I didn't pay too much attention to pedal wear on my SLs. The Mavic has what looks like a stainless plate over the whole surface so it was just a matter of replacing the cleat over the years.

deechee
05-11-2007, 02:41 PM
I noticed the Excel part said "not compatible" with the 6610 (the old ultegra pedal). Any idea about compatability with the R540 (the 105 level black one)?

I'll take a look when I get home but I'm pretty sure my 540's are beat up (they were on my commuter) and I guess I should do some preventive maintenance.

GregL
05-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Maybe I just have a good LBS... I just pulled the appropriate part number for the plastic plates from the Shimano web site, went to my LBS, and ordered the parts. I had them in about a week for the wopping price of about $2-3 per pair. Every time I replace my cleats, I replace the plastic wear plates. My pedals (two different pairs of R600s) still look and work like new.

Shimano now has all their technical documents in one place on their website (http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/cycle/sac/us/en/technical_service/tech_docs.html), although the link doesn't seem to be working tonight. I downloaded the PDFs of every Shimano component I own so that I will have the correct part numbers in the event I need to special order a part.

Regards,
Greg

SoCalSteve
05-12-2007, 12:13 AM
SPD-SL's are an odd animal. They were Shimano's usual top down design plan, starting with Dura-Ace and working down a level each year. When they design Dura-Ace anything it's an exersize in overkill, so they looked at the basic design of the platform (Look Delta) and made a list of things that could be better. Anyone who's owned a set of Look pedals with the machined aluminum top surface knows the wear that even plastic cleats form over time, so Shimano made the wearing surface replacable. Makes sense to me, 'cept they forget to tell anyone. There was a spare pair of plates in every box, but who reads instructions on pedals these days? Here's the problem, when you wear past the plastic and into the aluminum, replacing just the plastic no longer does the job. The replacable surface plate takes the load but the aluminum pedal is what stabalizes the cleat. With that gone the wear plate doesn't last very long and you're right back where you started.

I'm not one to simply say "get a new pair" of anything (I'm still on 9-speed, 5 years ago I was on 7-speed), but given the changes made, this may be a good time to take a new look - er, I mean check out the new pedals... Shimano had replaced the plastic plate with steel and made the platform larger to stabalize even at the far reaches of it's float position. As one who works a lot with people with knee, hip and ankle problems I can see myself selling lots of these.

I own 2 pairs after selling 3 pair of the older "plastic" version (7800)...I must say, they are far superior in every way....Shimano really got it right this time!

7810's are the kind!

Good luck,

Steve

deechee
05-27-2007, 05:29 PM
So I was setting up my gf's bike (she bought a new saddle) and I decided to take a look at her pedals. Much to my surprise, her top plates were worn worn worn. Seeing as I also just got a nice tax refund, I start thinking maybe I should get the new Ultegra/Dura-ace pedals. Then, I see the Service Instructions from Shimano say the metal plates are consumables. (http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Pedals/PD-7810-6620/42T0A-001-PD-7810_6620-EN_v1_m56577569830606397.pdf) JUST like the plastic ones.

SO, is it really worth it to get the new pedals? Sounds like they can wear out too. I'm still waiting for my LBS to get the plastic top-plates (we have four pairs between the two of us) and I certainly don't feel like replacing all four pairs... (in fact I kind of need a fifth pair...)

Jeff Weir
05-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Marketing at its best!

regularguy412
05-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Marketing at its best!

Planned Obsolescence.

Mike in AR

Xyzzy
05-27-2007, 07:31 PM
I bet it takes a while to wear out the metal plates.

On the old plastic plates, I could wear the left side out in under 500 miles, because my left leg rotates so much. I only have 100 miles on my new 7810 pedals but there isn't even a mark yet.

A side benefit of the new pedals is they are probably the best looking pedals ever made. And I just love the wide platform. Over the last 12 months I have purchased every mainstream pedal available. I started with SPD-SL and came full circle back to SPD-SL.

vaxn8r
05-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Wow, you guys are hard on equipment.

I'm still on my first set of DA 7800 cleats, pedals and face plates from 2004 and some 19K miles. I don't uncleat and walk around much so maybe I'm not picking up much gravel and such on my cleats.

I'd also wonder about proper fit/set up if you're going through pedal interfaces very often.

Xyzzy
05-27-2007, 09:16 PM
I'd also wonder about proper fit/set up if you're going through pedal interfaces very often.
I had a real bad acccident in 94 so the fact I can even ride is a miracle. (Well, I'm not riding much now due to a torn patellar tendon, but I can get out and piddle around the neighborhood.)

If you think my cleats look bad you should see my shoes.