PDA

View Full Version : Need some crank input

jwb96
05-11-2007, 05:29 AM
It's probably time to install new chainrings. I'm running an Ultegra 9-speed crank currently, and for the price of new chainrings I can replace the entire crank with a brand new Ultegra 9-speed. At the same place, I found a Truvativ Elita (older ISIS model, not the new outboard bearing one) for the same cheap price, and it got good reviews on RBR (the new version got trashed).

The only reason I bring this up is that it appears Shimano octalink BBs are harder to come by and more expensive than ISIS BBs. But I'd be entirely new to ISIS and Truvativ, so I'm looking for some additional input. First, anyone tried the Elitas? And any suggestions for a good but inexpensive ISIS BB? Or a source for Shimano BBs?

Thanks,
Jim

Too Tall
05-11-2007, 08:21 AM
I'd encourage you to keep the Ultegra crank. That's a nice piece of equipment and the Ultegra BBs are very good. I recently searched for these on aution sites and found many for not alot of $$. Buy two and call it good for the next 5 yrs.? I like to keep "stuff" working, call me crazy?

zap
05-11-2007, 08:33 AM
snipped

I like to keep "stuff" working, call me crazy?

Ditto.

Except for the crazy part.

J.Greene
05-11-2007, 08:37 AM
It's probably time to install new chainrings. I'm running an Ultegra 9-speed crank currently, and for the price of new chainrings I can replace the entire crank with a brand new Ultegra 9-speed. At the same place, I found a Truvativ Elita (older ISIS model, not the new outboard bearing one) for the same cheap price, and it got good reviews on RBR (the new version got trashed).

The only reason I bring this up is that it appears Shimano octalink BBs are harder to come by and more expensive than ISIS BBs. But I'd be entirely new to ISIS and Truvativ, so I'm looking for some additional input. First, anyone tried the Elitas? And any suggestions for a good but inexpensive ISIS BB? Or a source for Shimano BBs?

Thanks,
Jim

My experience with the cheaper isis cranks is that they are not as good as what you have. The ultegra is a nice crank even though it's not Campagnolo. Compared to the Ultegra the chainrings don't seem to be as round or straight on the 2-3 sets I have seen. I chalk that up to the pricepoint more than the quality of the company though. I don't know that it makes much difference, but it bugged me enough to send a set back. And of course my experience is just on a few sets when truvativ was somewhat new.

JG

Serotta PETE
05-11-2007, 08:48 AM
It is really hard to beat Ultegra (yes I like CAMPY) and I have it on my travel bike because it is very dependable and inexpensive.

Just my 2cents......

PETE

I'd encourage you to keep the Ultegra crank. That's a nice piece of equipment and the Ultegra BBs are very good. I recently searched for these on aution sites and found many for not alot of $$. Buy two and call it good for the next 5 yrs.? I like to keep "stuff" working, call me crazy?