PDA

View Full Version : New Bike

Trouble
05-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Finally finished putting together my new steel bicicletta blanco. :beer:

Ain't she purdy?

Spent the weekend building it up (ok, so I took my time and I'm just a bit anal about things), took it out for the first ride this morning...just a 20 minute buzz around the hood.
Feels great, stable, very efficient pedaling with the more set back seating position. Not used to this reach either, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. It feels great standing, looking forward to taking it out on the rough roads and climbing some hills this weekend.

I had Brent Steelman build this up for me. It's was a pleasure working with him.

I plan on putting some hand built wheels on it soon. Thinking about the DT R1.1 with 245 hubs.
Then, a compact crank.

Edited, Saturday, May 12, 2007:
Took it out this morning for a 47 mile ride.
Last ride was two weeks ago on the jacked up, wrong sized Zurich that I've been riding for 4+ years. What an idiot...why didn't I do this 3 years ago?
More stretched out and down in the bar area on this bike.
My body (lower/upper back, shoulders) didn't ache, just normal leg tired from the effort.
I was able to spend more time in drops, especially down hill, which was a lot of fun because I was able to breath better and the bike was very stable.
Climbing was easier(?) being able to keep my chest open on the top of the bars and being better positioned over the bars when standing.
Cornering was very pretictable and smooth.
It seemed to be smooth over the rougher roads and that should be even better after I get a nice set of hand built Velocity wheels.
My arce was sore because I spent more time sitting on the saddle than I used to.
The first 30-35 miles seemed effortless, mostly due to the riding position being much further back over the BB, and my heart rate stayed much lower. I think it's because it was easier to breathe as a result of being more stretched out.
So far I'm very pleased and happy with this bike and of course pleased with my build up.
I'll wait a couple of weeks before I see if any fine tuning is in order.
I did notice the internal brake routing thing rattling when I went over severe bumps and there was a random clicking in the BB area.
The Ouzo Pro carbon steerer clamp actually came lose around mile 35. Must keep an eye on that.
I may bring the hood up a couple of mm to try and get them more level with the bars.

steelrider
05-10-2007, 07:22 PM
People love Steelman frames. One day I must go for one of his cross frames--people rave about them.

rnhood
05-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Very nice looking bike. White is one of my favorite colors on a bike, which is why mine is painted that way. A shorter stem should fix reach problem rather quickly.

Trouble
05-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Very nice looking bike. White is one of my favorite colors on a bike, which is why mine is painted that way. A shorter stem should fix reach problem rather quickly.

I've always thought white bikes look great too.

I was riding a jacked up (too short) Lemon Zurich for almost 3 years. This length was what Brent measured me for. I have a 10cm stem on standby just in case, especially if I start pushing me seat back.