PDA

View Full Version : Strong v CSI

Dan Le foot
05-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi gang.
I need to replace the IF steel Crown Jewel I just sold to a forumite. (backup to my legend)
I'm thinking another nice steel frame.
Two candidates that I am considering are a 3 year old Carl Strong with a treadless Ouzo Pro and an older CSI with a threaded F1.
I hear a lot of good reports here on the CSI. Not so much on Strong
Watcha think?
Thanks.
Dan

kbwheels
05-10-2007, 05:39 PM
I have a Strong steel road bike and it is great. Both bikes would be great back-ups, imho. Good luck.

Louis
05-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Dan,

I think you'll find that folks around here will only have very very good things to say about either a Strong or the CSi. I would say that it comes down to geometry and maybe a distant second tubeset (seems unlikely you'd have much info on that, though). Can you take either one for a test spin? Obviously that would help.

I'd say get the one that fits you better. Same geometry? Get the one with the nicer paint job.

Louis

bozman
05-10-2007, 06:52 PM
If you contact Carl directly he could probably give you the specs on the frame--measurements, tubeset, etc.

As a current Strong owner I am partial to his frames but I agree with the comment on fit. Go with the one that fits best.

Big Dan
05-10-2007, 07:00 PM
If you've never had a steel Serotta, you owe it to yourself.
imho. Nothing against Carl Strong.

:bike:

rePhil
05-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Strong owner. As the other have said, it's all about the fit. I prefer threadless, and I like the Ouzo forks, So I would lean that way in this case.

SoCalSteve
05-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi gang.
I need to replace the IF steel Crown Jewel I just sold to a forumite. (backup to my legend)
I'm thinking another nice steel frame.
Two candidates that I am considering are a 3 year old Carl Strong with a treadless Ouzo Pro and an older CSI with a threaded F1.
I hear a lot of good reports here on the CSI. Not so much on Strong
Watcha think?
Thanks.
Dan

Great fork, very heavy, but very stiff and smooth...I have one on my Hors Cat (rode it today) and would not replace it for anything....It just seems to match up great with my HC...But, it will not accept a true 700 x 25 diameter tire.

Good luck on whatever you chose!

Steve

LH2
05-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Of course you'll get more praise for a CSI here - it's a Serotta forum. :rolleyes:

The F1 is uber heavy, but it rides nice - my Legend had one and it was cool.

The Strong will be lighter, I'd bet. The CSI was never known for light weight, but rather a sweet ride.

Carl's newer powdercoat jobs, done at Spectrum, are super. I think Spectrum started doing Strong's frames in about 2004. Some older in-house powder jobs lacked luster. I have one from 2003 that is nice however. My 2007 Strong is smoother, with less orange peel.

Threadless is nice, and I'm a fan of Carl's work.

dirtdigger88
05-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Ive never ridden a Strong- but by all accounts the man knows his chit- nuff said there

Id still vote for the CSi- they are not making them anymore (you can order the strong next year :D )

I have to say- my CSi is such a kick @ss ride- I have really grown to love that bike over the last year

Jason

TAW
05-10-2007, 10:55 PM
I have a CSI with the F1 fork. I use it for crit races. The thing I like about it is that it's very solid feeling. I don't feel a lot of movement in the bottom bracket. It's not as smooth on rough surfaces as my Colnago ct1 (Ti and carbon), but has a nice feel on smoother pavement.

Serotta PETE
05-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Go with the one that fits best and that you like the color of. Either is very good.....

Larry
05-11-2007, 02:21 PM
I owned and rode a Csi with F1 for 7 years. I loved it. The fork was
bombproof on decents. I switched to a 1 inch Ouzo Pro. It was fine,
but actually I feel that the F1 was more stable, especially for a big rider.

I now have a custom CDA, and I do not miss the lugs.
If you can.....find an excellent fitter and go custom.
It is worth the time and effort.

vaxn8r
05-11-2007, 03:58 PM
This may be heresy but the newer steel tubesets used today are worth exploring if you're into performance. Nothing wrong with the old skinny tubes, I guess it just depends on what you're looking for in terms of performance, weight, durability etc.

BCM has a CIII with tubes so fat it looks like a ti bike. It's really pretty aggressive looking and fairly light weight. If I had a choice based on my riding style I'd go with something newer, whether tig'd or lugged...if it was more a nostalgia thing get the older Csi.

soulspinner
05-11-2007, 05:16 PM
This may be heresy but the newer steel tubesets used today are worth exploring if you're into performance. Nothing wrong with the old skinny tubes, I guess it just depends on what you're looking for in terms of performance, weight, durability etc.

BCM has a CIII with tubes so fat it looks like a ti bike. It's really pretty aggressive looking and fairly light weight. If I had a choice based on my riding style I'd go with something newer, whether tig'd or lugged...if it was more a nostalgia thing get the older Csi.

You said it perfectly.

Larry
05-11-2007, 06:42 PM
My CDA seems lighter than the old CSi, and I know for fact that I have the oversized tube set. This is using most of the old components from the Csi,
also.

Marcusaurelius
05-11-2007, 09:40 PM
The CSI is a great ride with an F1 fork. I found the F1 work fork is perfect for my size and weight. The lugs on the CSI are great looking as well. I don't look at TIG welded frames the same now as I used to. I would of course still buy another TIG welded steel frame but I still prefer lugs.

vaxn8r
05-11-2007, 11:25 PM
My CDA seems lighter than the old CSi, and I know for fact that I have the oversized tube set. This is using most of the old components from the Csi,
also.
So which do you prefer for ride quality?

Larry
05-12-2007, 08:41 AM
I prefer the CDA. To me not only is it lighter (lighter tube set), but at the same time stiffer in the overall feel. I do not sense harshness with the stiffness ..... could be the shorter top tube. 1.3 cm. makes a difference.
The front end seems a bit more solid and less flexible. I do not know if the sloping top tube, approximately 6 degress, makes a difference.

I think the bottom bracket is not as stiff as the CSi. This is more of a gut feeling. But, it makes more sense for a 53 year old to have this ride quality on the initial take off when starting out. As a matter of fact, it may seem even more like my friend's 1998 titanium Serotta. More forgiving.

I need to ride over more rough roads to get an idea of how the bike responds.
I am not sure if it smoothens things out, or if there is more or less chatter.

With the custom fit, the bike seems to flow with your body. They work together better. I think my position is better. I may be a bit more forward
on this frame than the Csi. The control of the bike is a little better. Steering is neutral and very predictable. I think most Serottas tend to steer this way.

I really think the custom fit, with a well-experienced fitter, makes a big difference. Unless you really want a race bike, which Serotta can indeed accomplish, the build is a bike that you will enjoy in comfort and response. And, it is not a slouch if you want to mix it up with the older racer wannabes. For most of us, the small differences in materials is a non-issue. It just depends on what you prefer. The level of technology and knowledge is really high. I do not sense any excessive marketing hype
from Serotta. Other companies talk a big game with lots of confusing nonsense. Serotta keeps it sophisticated, yet simple. I think it is of utmost importance that you completely trust your builder and fittter to do the right thing for you. Serotta has done this for many years. I chose to go for experience, over the newer frame companies. It makes sense.

Dan Le foot
05-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks folks.
I think I'm going to pass on the older CSi and newer Strong. Both are nice but....
After doing some research on the board, a CDA may be a better alternative for my needs. But I hate to pay for custom.
I'm pretty much a stock Serotta (Non HSG) rider as you can get.
Anyone have a stock 58 or 59 CDA that they want to part with?
Dan

Larry
05-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks folks.
I think I'm going to pass on the older CSi and newer Strong. Both are nice but....
After doing some research on the board, a CDA may be a better alternative for my needs. But I hate to pay for custom.
I'm pretty much a stock Serotta (Non HSG) rider as you can get.
Anyone have a stock 58 or 59 CDA that they want to part with?
Dan

Dan,

There is no up charge for the custom fit. Just make sure the fitter knows
you, your specific requests if any, any physical limitations, and try to ask other folks about the fitter's expertise and exactness. I have known my fitter for at least 25 years. On the rear stays, it is simply a toss up between carbon or regular steel. The carbon looks cool!! Try to match
the front fork to the rear stays. Ouzo Pro looks nice and matches.

Contrary to some folks thinking, the CDA does not look old school, and the single color paint scheme looks GREAT. When mine left the shop for the first time, it raised many an eyebrow. No generic carbon flash-in-the pan stuff. This is a distinctive build by one of the best companies in the business. I have seen many frames the last eight years. This is the real deal.

In a stock build, you might get a very nice frame and fork for $1050.00.
(2 year old lightly ridden.) In really fine condition this is fair. Two years ago this frame alone was more than likely around $1550 new. Try to find someone close by who rides a CDA for a test ride.

Check out the CDA's on the Image Gallery--Serottas. Good ideas for a build.
Good luck.

Larry

Dan Le foot
05-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Dan,

There is no up charge for the custom fit. Just make sure the fitter knows
you, your specific requests if any, any physical limitations, and try to ask other folks about the fitter's expertise and exactness. I have known my fitter for at least 25 years. On the rear stays, it is simply a toss up between carbon or regular steel. The carbon looks cool!! Try to match
the front fork to the rear stays. Ouzo Pro looks nice and matches.

Contrary to some folks thinking, the CDA does not look old school, and the single color paint scheme looks GREAT. When mine left the shop for the first time, it raised many an eyebrow. No generic carbon flash-in-the pan stuff. This is a distinctive build by one of the best companies in the business. I have seen many frames the last eight years. This is the real deal.

In a stock build, you might get a very nice frame and fork for $1050.00.
(2 year old lightly ridden.) In really fine condition this is fair. Two years ago this frame alone was more than likely around $1550 new. Try to find someone close by who rides a CDA for a test ride.

Check out the CDA's on the Image Gallery--Serottas. Good ideas for a build.
Good luck.

Larry

Thanks Larry.
Fitting will be easy for me. Just match my Legend that was fitted 6 years ago and is still very comfy.. I also think the carbon back stay looks way cool.
I would love to find a used one in a simple candy apple red with the black backstay. But that may be a long shot to find one that is my size.
Dan