PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to throw these tires away?

Retinadoc
05-09-2007, 06:49 AM
I have a pair of Conti GP 4000 that have about 1000 miles on them. On both the front and back a dangling thread has appeared on the sidewall. Being obsessive compulsive about my bike, I of course could not resist the urge to pull the errant fiber, and sure enough it zipped around he circumference of the wheel.:crap: The tire looks unchanged, but I do not want to find out the hard way that the sidewall has lost its structural integrity.

BTW: I do like the tires. No flats so far, although not as supple as the Veloflex Pave or Vredstein Tricomps.

BumbleBeeDave
05-09-2007, 06:55 AM
. . . of these tires and a big selling point. You simply let the tires unravel as you go on a ride on unfamiliar territory and it leaves a trail to follow back home in case you get lost. Of course, it only works ONCE . . . ;)

Seriously, though, it depends on how big the thread is . . . I doubt unraveling one time around is going to hurt the tire enough to matter.

BBD

LegendRider
05-09-2007, 07:22 AM
I've had the same thing happen with GP4000s. I ripped the errant thread off and never worried about it. I don't think it's a problem.

deechee
05-09-2007, 07:41 AM
I've ripped threads off tires all the time (mostly cheaper tires) but I'd say unless your GPs are squared off like mine, I wouldn't worry about it.

chuckred
05-09-2007, 09:21 AM
As far as I can tell on mine.

I have a pair of Conti GP 4000 that have about 1000 miles on them. On both the front and back a dangling thread has appeared on the sidewall. Being obsessive compulsive about my bike, I of course could not resist the urge to pull the errant fiber, and sure enough it zipped around he circumference of the wheel.:crap: The tire looks unchanged, but I do not want to find out the hard way that the sidewall has lost its structural integrity.

BTW: I do like the tires. No flats so far, although not as supple as the Veloflex Pave or Vredstein Tricomps.

avalonracing
05-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Par for course for Contis. I don't know if I have had a pair that hasn't done this... It didn't cause any problems for me.

slowgoing
05-09-2007, 09:56 AM
I would change them. Knowing the sidewall problems Continental had on the 3000s (I had two blow out), the problem you describe would unnerve me. The potential downside is too high not to replace them.

Orin
05-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Doesn't the thread belong to the tape over the bead? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

If thread actually belonging to the sidewall wouldn't run all the way around the circumference.

Orin.

vaxn8r
05-09-2007, 03:33 PM

I have no idea.

Just wondreing, is that RetinA doc or Retina doc?

Retinadoc
05-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Eye Doc, not Skin Doc. I assume from your handle that you are a Pediatrician?

vaxn8r
05-09-2007, 11:51 PM
yup.

davyt
05-10-2007, 03:23 AM
FWIW, several pairs of mine (in 700C x 25) have done the same thing and I haven't noticed any ill effects: I am ignoring it, riding and having fun in my blissful ignorance!*
--
Davy

*One of Tom Kellogg's nifty lines... (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=319898&postcount=25)

TriJim
05-10-2007, 10:50 AM
How many miles on your 4000s?

I found earlier model Contis were good for about 2000 miles or 1 season (usually replaced due to breakdown of the sidewalls). I've got about 1700 miles on my first set of 4000s (second season) and not sure when I should replace. The back tire shows more wear than front (as usual), but no belts showing and sidewalls are still in reasonable shape. There are a few small cuts in each tire, but none in sidewall or through tread.

I'm currently planning to replace the tires before my cycling week in France (August), but wondered how much mileage others get from their 4000s and when/why they decided to replace. :)

Sandy
05-10-2007, 11:22 AM
How many miles on your 4000s?

I found earlier model Contis were good for about 2000 miles or 1 season (usually replaced due to breakdown of the sidewalls). I've got about 1700 miles on my first set of 4000s (second season) and not sure when I should replace. The back tire shows more wear than front (as usual), but no belts showing and sidewalls are still in reasonable shape. There are a few small cuts in each tire, but none in sidewall or through tread.

I'm currently planning to replace the tires before my cycling week in France (August), but wondered how much mileage others get from their 4000s and when/why they decided to replace. :)

Are you aware that these tires have tread wear indicators? If you look at the center portion of the tire tread (that portion that rolls over the ground), you will see two (on each tire, close to one another) circular indentations. As the tire wears, the indentation will become smaller.

I also have about 1700 miles on my GP 4000 tires (almost all from last year). I have plenty of tread left in both tires, especially the front. Almost no visible cuts. I use 700x25 at 105-107 rear and 95-97 front (and I am a heavy rider)

I hope that I have helped you.

Sandy

TriJim
05-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Are you aware that these tires have tread wear indicators? If you look at the center portion of the tire tread (that portion that rolls over the ground), you will see two (on each tire, close to one another) circular indentations. As the tire wears, the indentation will become smaller.

Sandy
I read about the wear indicators, but thought the two holes were manufacturing defects. I was looking for wear bars similar to car tires.
With your advice, looks like my rear is almost gone, but front has plenty of tread remaining. Again, thanks for the tip. :beer:

Jim B.

TAW
05-10-2007, 01:10 PM
All tires have wear indicators. When you can see the tube through the tread, you need new tires. :)

Ahneida Ride
05-10-2007, 05:08 PM
I have a pair of Conti GP 4000 that have about 1000 miles on them. The tire looks unchanged, but I do not want to find out the hard way that the sidewall has lost its structural integrity.

I have always had sidewalls issues with Conti's and so have my friends.
Rumors abound about Conti sidewalls.

Two years ago, a well respected local club member was killed as he decended a hill and his front tire blew. He was wearing a helmet too.

So .... How lucky do you feel today ?

My solution is simply. NEVER ride Conti's. :no: :butt: