PDA

View Full Version : Body Temperature

jhcakilmer
05-08-2007, 07:07 PM
I thought it would be interesting to see how much body temperature would rise because of exercising. Just wondering if anyone has every done this before. My auricular temp was 103.4, and oral was 102.7.....seems high, but then I did some research and supposedly a marathon runner had a recorded temp of 107.3 measured directly after finishing a race....and he was still conscious.

I know it's random, but I think it would be an interesting correlation between body temp, and your bodies ability to thermoregulate. Could be very important during a hard, hot day out on the road, or trail.

My ride was 35.3 miles, with 1553ft of climbing, average HR was 158 bpm (~ 77% of my max) and the measured outdoor temp was 72.4 F when I got back, blue skies, with lots of sun. Nothing crazy, just a reasonable ride, for me.

chuckred
05-08-2007, 10:16 PM
or maybe the fever affects us?

Maybe start a new line of bar mounted heart rate/power meter/altimeter/thermometers.?

"You know where to put the cork....!"

Larry
05-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Interesting.......
When my body temperature goes up, I can have a gradual increase of heart rate. (Around 150 to 170.) Then I rest and it comes back down. Weird.
Mine is lack of Cardio training and Anxiety Disorder. That is my opinion,
after suffering with this for 4 years.
Tough thing to deal with.

It might also be what is known as Heat Stress.....outdoor heat plus my internal temperature getting too hot.

soulspinner
05-09-2007, 04:57 AM
I thought it would be interesting to see how much body temperature would rise because of exercising. Just wondering if anyone has every done this before. My auricular temp was 103.4, and oral was 102.7.....seems high, but then I did some research and supposedly a marathon runner had a recorded temp of 107.3 measured directly after finishing a race....and he was still conscious.

I know it's random, but I think it would be an interesting correlation between body temp, and your bodies ability to thermoregulate. Could be very important during a hard, hot day out on the road, or trail.

My ride was 35.3 miles, with 1553ft of climbing, average HR was 158 bpm (~ 77% of my max) and the measured outdoor temp was 72.4 F when I got back, blue skies, with lots of sun. Nothing crazy, just a reasonable ride, for me.

That would put your max at 205. Thats high. I read about a female runner who had a max in the 230 plus range. Hummingbird heart...

Geoff
05-09-2007, 07:50 AM
That would put your max at 205. Thats high. I read about a female runner who had a max in the 230 plus range. Hummingbird heart...

Thats not high mine is also about 205, as a 35 year old slouch.

As for temp this is a good question. I have always been a non-sweater. I can go for a ride at lunch in the summer (Florida) finish and hardly be sweating. I would say Im not tring hard enough but that cant be right. Right? I will try to bring a thermometer and check tommorrow after my ride.

G

malcolm
05-09-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm really kind of surprised it goes up that high during exercise. I would have guessed it would stay below 101 or so. I don't have any real reason why I would have thought that, but on a multiple choice it would have been my guess. If you saw someone with that kind of core temp being treated for heat related illness you would assume heat stroke or impending heat stroke. How long did it take to normalize or did you check? Would be interesting to see the data from an indwelling foley with a temp probe. I also wonder if it varies with acclimatization relative to ambient temp. I know it is quite warm in the south in the summer and early on I can count of an extra 10-15 bpm of heart rate just from the heat, but it seems to normalize to some degree later in the summer or maybe I'm just in better shape.

jhcakilmer
05-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Well, I checked my temp again today, and it was...
103.1 auricular
102.5 oral

I swam for about 45 minutes, and then went for a 30 minute run.....man, I hate running! A 30 minute run feels more strenous then a 2 hour ride.... :(

Yes, my max HR is 205-206. It has stayed unchanged during my 20s, I turn 30 this July. My HR has always been extremely variable. My resting HR (when I wake up in the morning) is about 42-46 (depending on quality of sleep), my walking HR can be anywhere between 60-90.

I sweat like a pig!! It seems as though I have really good thermoregulation. I never feel too hot, or too cold, unlike my wife who is always cold.

Let me know if you guys take any measurements....just be interested in correlation.

TimB
05-09-2007, 11:32 AM
What's your body temp before you exercise? Just how much is it going up?

jhcakilmer
05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Well, my body temp this morning is 98.7, so no different then the average.

I've been debating trying out one of the base layers, does any find that they help keep you cooler?

BURCH
05-10-2007, 09:23 AM
I am a warm one. I sweat a ton in the warm months, but never really get cold in the winter months. I think that I was supposed to be born as an eskimo sometimes.
For years now, I have been using the wicking layers for both hot and cold days and love them. I think that thin body layer in the summer definately keeps me cooler. It could just be mental as i have not backed up this theory with with data. If I do, I will report back.

Allez!
05-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Wired magazine had a very interesting article about 2 months ago about "the Glove" - seems DARPA is working on technology that brings body temp rapidly back to normal. Supposedly test subjects did thousands of chinups when body temp was normalized. I guess the premise is that overheating, not lactate overload shuts muscles down. Wild stuff!

Allez!
05-10-2007, 12:34 PM
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.03/bemore_pr.html