PDA

View Full Version : Lance Sighting...

johnmdesigner
05-08-2007, 12:50 PM
I was coming back across the George Washington Bridge IN NYC half an hour ago when I look up and see L.A. riding towards me with a group of star struck NYC riders in tow. He smiled, said "hello" and I did the same.
Oh the bliss of unemployment - getting to ride as much as you want! :p

fiamme red
05-08-2007, 12:56 PM
How did he like the 150 stairs, I wonder?

johnmdesigner
05-08-2007, 12:58 PM
I think those boys were going to carry his bike for him.

fiamme red
05-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I think those boys were going to carry his bike for him.Right, I think there was a film about that -- Stairs & Bikecarriers. :)

johnmdesigner
05-08-2007, 01:11 PM
I have to say that he still looks lean and mean on his machine.

DRZRM
05-08-2007, 01:36 PM
How did he like the 150 stairs, I wonder?

Depending on your approach, there are no stairs there.

fiamme red
05-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Depending on your approach, there are no stairs there.The south side, with no stairs, is closed at the moment (and probably for another few months), and the north side, which is open, has 6 flights of stairs in all.

Louis
05-08-2007, 01:51 PM
He smiled, said "hello"

Couldn't have been LA.

Everyone knows that if you are a truly serious cyclist you don't acknowledge other riders you happen to meet...

PS I too say "Hello" (or wave) - guess that means that I'm just like Lance

petitelilpettit
05-08-2007, 01:53 PM
I spotted Tony Cruz on the road hooked on the back of a paceline going southbound on PCH. Figures the local boy is home for a little while, before he hopefully heads back to Europe.

Not to chide him, but he was riding w/o a helmet...

Oh well.

Pettit

LegendRider
05-08-2007, 02:49 PM
I've had a couple of good "sightings" over the years. In 1994 I was in Lourdes during the rest day at the Tour and ran into Indurain and the entire Banesto team. I rode about 20 kms with them (with permission).

In 1996 during the Atlanta Olympics, I ran into the entire Danish road team (Riis, Skibby, Michaelson, Sorenson and Brian Holm) and rode with them for a while. I also saw Erik Breukink out training before the Olympic road race.

davids
05-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Only one.

I was out mountain biking in the Blue Hills in December '05. As I came out of the woods onto the path around Houghtons Pond, three guys on 'cross bikes flew past me.

I had enough time to check out the bikes - One was beauty. This one, with this guy on it:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tech/probikes/skerritt_vanilla/SM0001tnl.jpg

He won the Nationals a few days later.

OldDog
05-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Couldn't have been LA.

Everyone knows that if you are a truly serious cyclist you don't acknowledge other riders you happen to meet...

Not to get off topic as this was beat'n to death in other threads, but how true. I'll pass cyclists and not even get an acknowledgement of any kind. I'll take out the Harly and you can count on a waive from every passing biker on a Hog. I think most cyclists wear their Lycra too tight! Light'n up boys.

chuckred
05-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Saw Dennis Rodman at dinner the other night...

What a goof ball - what with all the piercings, tatoos, died hair, sweatpants at a fancy restaurant and naked women air brushed H3.

Wonder if he ever doped?

While his attitude was also obnoxious, the hero worship from many of the short, pudgy business men was pathetic...

Climb01742
05-08-2007, 04:26 PM
harley riders do that down low wave, yes? on a recent long drive, i was behind a harley for maybe an hour and you're right, every rider he/we passed, he waved and they waved back.

trophyoftexas
05-08-2007, 05:08 PM
...of waving at all the motorcycle riders I meet down in the Hill Country, they are the friendliest bunch on the road! Funny but down there even the people on road bikes wave and say hello.

SoCalSteve
05-08-2007, 05:31 PM
I saw Adam Sandler walking the other day at Sony Studios, does that count?

Steve

PS: He smiled and said hello to me. Guess he's not a real rider either.

IXXI
05-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Few months ago Kevin Spacey said hi to me and proceeded to hit on me and I'm not even gay. So I'm not sure if that makes him a, ahem, pro-rider or not. I'm not saying anything, I'm just sayin.

coylifut
05-08-2007, 11:47 PM
i was crusing around Bend, OR about 4 years ago and Horner came up on me and we talked a bit. nice guy.

saab2000
05-08-2007, 11:53 PM
I used to see Alex Zulle in Switzerland on a regular basis. He lived pretty close to us. Same with Thomas Frischknecht. When I was living in Lugano I saw Oscar Freire. He lives there too. At first I didn't believe it was him. But it looked like him and he looked good on the bike. But was just tooling along, not rocket pace or anything. Nodded at me like cyclists do and kept riding. 'Twas cool to nod at a 3-time world champ.

I have also seen the Zberg brothers in Switzerland. Small country it is.

OldDog
05-09-2007, 08:48 AM
harley riders do that down low wave, yes? on a recent long drive, i was behind a harley for maybe an hour and you're right, every rider he/we passed, he waved and they waved back.

The steal the peach wave.

benb
05-09-2007, 09:50 AM

Please... try riding anything but a Harley. The H-D posers that are breeding like tribbles will flip you off, turn their head away, give you the thumbs down, etc.. You can wave to them from a distance and they'll start to wave back, then they realize you're not riding a H-D and they quickly snatch their hand out of the air to avoid waving to someone who isn't marching in step.

They are 10x worse then roadies.

Back on topic.. my only sighting is a co-worker and I caught Nicole Freedman back in 2002. She wasn't riding particularly hard that day but was quite nice.

I met the "evil" Tyler in 2005 but we weren't on our bikes.. he was nice enough and posed for a picture with me.

William
05-09-2007, 10:58 AM
He gave me the......hmmm....I'm not sure what sign. :confused:

What was he saying???? (anyone?).

http://www.texased.net/photos/sports/lancearmstrong300.jpg

William

coylifut
05-09-2007, 11:23 AM
He gave me the......hmmm....I'm not sure what sign. :confused:

What was he saying???? (anyone?).

http://www.texased.net/photos/sports/lancearmstrong300.jpg

William

that would be the sign of the Texas Long Horns, easily confused with something one might see at a Black Sabath concert.

PanTerra
05-10-2007, 12:02 PM
http://panterragroup.home.mindspring.com/misc/bush.jpg

William
05-10-2007, 12:09 PM
From Ozzfest right?

http://www.cuttingedge.org/Bushes_Devils_Sign-Inaugura.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/01/21/2101bush7_gallery__425x550.jpg

William ;)

PanTerra
05-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Recognize this?