PDA

View Full Version : Lens Color

scrooge
05-07-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm in the process of ordering a pair of presciption sunglasses from Sports Optical (http://www.sportsoptical.com) and have to make a few choices. I'm curious what color lenses people prefer for a general use pair of sunglasses (can't afford more than one lense at the moment!). I was thinking basic brown or grey. Any opinions? How about for polorized or non?

davids
05-07-2007, 04:10 PM
My cycling glasses are Kaenon Kores (http://www.kaenon.com/product.cfm?action=show_product&product_id=578) , not well-known as a cycling brand. But I got an amazing deal on them through Sierra Trading.

Kaenon publishes all sorts of info on their various lens colors. I chose their C-28 lenses, a mid-level copper tint. Here's what Kaenon says:

Our Copper tint is specifically developed to enhance color contrast, depth perception and detail recognition. Matched with your preferred Light Transmission Level, you get superior vision in the full range of light conditions (semi-cloudy, hazy or low light conditions). Copper also enhances your optical experience by amplifying details on surfaces such as water, grass / land terrain, and snow / ice. Unlike other rose-colored tints, our Copper tint was created by Kaenon Polarized to be soothing to the eyes and provide the truest color enhancement and contrast without lasting color alteration. Our Copper tint is available with the following Light Transmission Levels:

C-12™ (12%) Our darkest copper lens (blocks 88% of visible light). Performs best in bright, full sun conditions.

C-28™ (28%) Half as dark as LTL 12™(blocks 72% of visible light). Great multi-purpose lens performs well in all light conditions.

C-50™ (50%) Our lightest tint (blocks 50% of visible light). This lens is particularly recommended for golf and other hand/eye coordination sports. It allows maximum light transmission for greatest detail recognition. Performs well in low light and hazy conditions.

I know, it's a lot of marketing, but the bottom line is that I'm pretty happy with the tint. They are sufficiently dark for even the brightest sunlight, but I still get good contrast (although it's a bit dreary-looking) when it's overcast.

They are also polarized, which I highly recommend for cutting glare.

sbornia
05-07-2007, 04:19 PM
When I got prescription sunglasses a few years ago, the store recommended *against* polarized lenses. The owner said that they reduce so much glare, it actually becomes difficult to recognize oil spots and water on the road. Apparently, his wife crashed her bike because of this. YMMV.

Edit: my own personal experience is that if your lenses are too dark, they become a liability when riding -- or driving -- through tunnels or other dark places. Just something to keep in mind if you're going to use yours when in the car.

tch
05-07-2007, 04:24 PM
absolutely personal items, like seats and shorts. That said, for me, I feel strongly about grey lenses (preserves true color best) and polarized.
But that's just me.

Ozz
05-07-2007, 04:29 PM
I think the Rudy Project "Racing Red" lens is a good all-around color. It cuts glare, but isn't so dark it can't be used on overcast days. I have a set of Laser Blue lenses for really sunny days...but I use the Racing Red most of the time. My everyday wearing / driving sunglasses are Serengeti Summits with their "Sedona" lens (it's a little darker than theri "Driver" lens), and is very comparable to the Racing Red tint. I wear them year-around. I like the rose tint as an all-purpose lens color.

Most importantly is determining the light conditions in which you do most your riding. Where I ride...most days are overcast or "partly sunny/cloudy".

Serotta PETE
05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Washington State???

Where I ride...most days are overcast or "partly sunny/cloudy".

It is beautiful there when the sun is out....One of the greatest places I have been.

benb
05-07-2007, 04:55 PM
I've been telling myself for about a year that I would buy prescription cycling glasses from this company:

Wiley-X (http://www.wileyx.com/)

They offer the transition-type lenses in prescription goggles/glasses, even in bifocals.. seems like the best of both worlds for cycling glasses.

You lose the benefit of saying you have the same glasses as someone in the Pro Peloton but you'll save some money too.

Bruce K
05-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Scrooge;

I just ordered a pair of Rudy Project Rydons from him with my new Rx. I got the Transition lenses for more general use.

This is the 3rd set I've gotten from them over the past 5 years. They are great to deal with.

BK

Bud
05-07-2007, 07:12 PM
A very personal preference, indeed. Since I got contacts, I've no need for Rx shades as I used to...My riding shades now are Rudy Project Rydons with Polar 3FX grey lenses. I love the polarization, and the grey seems to be a good tint around here where it tends to be very bright. We have lots of sun :cool:

-dustin
05-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Since I got contacts, I've no need for Rx shades
any problems with your eyes drying out? considering going to contacts...RX riding glasses would be $$$$$. not to mention, all my sunglasses would have to be converted.

lens color when riding - super bright outside, Oakley G30. anything else, clear.

Bud
05-07-2007, 10:01 PM
any problems with your eyes drying out?

I just got contacts last fall at age 36 (been wearing glasses since age 2). I've had no problems with my eyes drying out, even in wind. I do carry drops and use them occasionally. I think it has a lot to do with the type and brand of contact lens, based on my discussions with friends around here (where it tends to be very dry). I also ski in my contacts- basically all of my outdoor activities. I still wear my glasses everyday for work, etc. I can see much better with glasses when reading, working on the computer, etc.

deechee
05-08-2007, 09:05 AM
for what its worth, I wear my Oakley Gold Iridiums 90% of the time. dusk, dawn, midday sun, light rain, cloud. If I can't wear them, chances are I'm not wearing anything on my face. (ie. I prefer not to ride in the dark; I think when I do I just wear my normal glasses; forces me to stay slow)

ClutchCargo
05-08-2007, 09:12 AM
I think the Rudy Project "Racing Red" lens is a good all-around color. It cuts glare, but isn't so dark it can't be used on overcast days. I have a set of Laser Blue lenses for really sunny days...but I use the Racing Red most of the time. My everyday wearing / driving sunglasses are Serengeti Summits with their "Sedona" lens (it's a little darker than theri "Driver" lens), and is very comparable to the Racing Red tint. I wear them year-around. I like the rose tint as an all-purpose lens color.

Most importantly is determining the light conditions in which you do most your riding. Where I ride...most days are overcast or "partly sunny/cloudy".

The Racing Red lens is very versatile, from pretty low light to pretty bright. Like Ozz, when it gets cloudlessly sunny in the middle of the day, I'll use the Laser Blue lenses. but here in New England, with a good amount of tree cover on the roads creating shadows even on sunny days, the RR's are a great lens. They are somewhat similar to the Oakley Cinnamon lens, but better because they do a better job in brighter conditions than the Oakleys.

Ride on!

Der_Kruscher
05-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Up until a few months age I lived in Seattle but am now down in SF. I'm too cheap/underpaid to get multiple pairs of prescription glasses and I hate inserts...they get too close to my eyelashes and get dirty fast. That said, I need the most versatile lens color that I can get and for me that has been plain old orange. Good contrast, maybe not the best for super sunny conditions but not bad and they're great for everything else. I even wear them at night which isn't ideal but it's what my pocketbook dictates.

fierte_poser
05-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Well, I see that you're in Denver. IMO, any lens that can handle the noon hour CO sun is simply too dark when used around dusk...and any lens that is usable at dusk is too bright at noon. :crap:

I like my standard issue polarized brown that Bret put in my Ekynox's, but I'm going to go back to him for some racing red's at some point in time.

Just my experience,
Kent

scottcw2
05-08-2007, 04:44 PM
http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/styles/kerosene.htm#

I have two pair - one loaded with Racing Red for lower light/overcast conditions and the other with Laser Blue for bright sunlight.

Ask them if they have a specific lens for all around light conditions.