PDA

View Full Version : Race Report: I'm really slow and too timid.

Tom
05-07-2007, 06:39 AM
I haven't looked at the results yet, but I'm guessing I was 10 minutes back on a 40 mile ride this weekend.

Mistake One: Get too far back in the group. Lots of accordionisms at the back. Slowing on a downhill in the rollers? No idea. It kept happening though.

Mistake Two: Go slow over the hill.

Mistake Three: Panic on the catch.

Mistake Four: Virtually quit after two rotations in the group.

Three things really stand out.

The first thing is the race attitude. I let myself drift to the back of the group in the first half mile. I know I'm strong enough to ride up front, if riding up front allows you to hold a steadier rhythym. How to get there and stay there is still a mystery.

The second thing is that while I'm strong, this spring I have no sustain when it comes time to go over 85-90 percent. I stink at accelerations and I can't figure out what pace to go over any hill. I can climb anything, I just can't go fast or recover at the top and it's been all spring like this. Last year by this time I was scampering over everything. I'm left scratching my head.

The third thing probably loops back to the first thing. I don't know why I show up for these. I really don't enjoy getting scared out of my mind in the field as people are darting about, slowing for no apparent reason, generally not going steady in a straight line on a straight road. Would I think about it if I was any good at races? Probably not.

Am I going to show up for more? Yes. Beats the hell out of me why, though.

tomwd3
05-07-2007, 06:44 AM
Tom, where did you ride this weekend? Were you at Jiminy Peak?

stevep
05-07-2007, 06:52 AM
you need more races.

youll get used to it.

bostondrunk
05-07-2007, 06:53 AM
I just can't go fast or recover at the top and it's been all spring like this. Last year by this time I was scampering over everything. I'm left scratching my head.

Funny, I had the same experience. So I got on the weight scale this morning......and now I know why I'm climbing like schit at the moment...
:crap:

regularguy412
05-07-2007, 07:10 AM
Sounds like a typical road race. I heard someone once describe a race pack as 'a swarm of angry bees'. Turned out to be an apt description.

Rule 1 - Always ride in the front 1/3 of the group. It may not seem like it, but it's easier up there -- IF you can manage to stay there.

Rule 2 - Either attack or draft. Don't just sit on the front of the pack and pull (at least not for any length of time). [ now if you're in a chase group or trying to work with a group to get away, that's a different story]

As far as climbing goes, 'spin the bottom and mash the top'. Try to have a slightly higher than comfortable cadence as you approach the climb. Your legs will naturally slow down as you go up. As you near the top, muscle it. You'll be out of 'spin' by then. Seated climbing is more efficient. Stay seated except on the steepest of ascents.

Rule 3 - DON'T panic if you feel yourself slipping back on the climb. Make SURE you don't allow yourself to blow up completely. It's better to let the hammers go (for the moment) and then catch back on the descent. If you blow, you'll never have enough left to pedal it back up on the backside to catch.

And SteveP is right: Race more. You'll eventually learn about how your body reacts in all these different situations and you can adapt your strategy better.

Hang in there. Racing is not rocket surgery. It took me three years of racing before I was even able to hold onto the PACK in a crit. But I still remember that day in 1992 like it was yesterday. I felt I had 'arrived'. After that, I was still no 'world beater', but I knew I could at least be competitive. Racing was 'fun' after that.

Mike in AR

Karin Kirk
05-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Yes, great advice, RG. I too, recall a time when pack riding suddenly clicked and I could stay in the field with what seemed like little effort. We used to have a weekday training crit and after you got dropped you could hop back into the pack fro another go at it (and another, and another...). I kept doing that, weeks on end, until I could finally hang. I dreaded going, always hoped it would rain and be cancelled, but I still went every time. That was a long time ago, and I wish I could put my finger on some of the things that made a difference. But I think it's important to try to stay relaxed and cool-headed, even when others around you are not. Also, look for the gaps and holes to ride within and through. If you are tall, you can occasionally poke your head up and gain a sense for what is going on overall.

As for going at 85-90%, do you do intervals? That's the best way to train for that. Same goes for accelerations - practice them with others if you can find some like-minded riding pals. Sometimes in a race situation it seems emotionally risky to push yourself near your limit. It can feel like you'll be in real trouble if you go too hard and get in over your head. This is why intervals and practice are good, because you get used to stressing yourself and then recovering.

For the climbs, you might try riding the hills someday before the race and figure out what gear to be in, and use that for a gauge. Also, the tactic of starting the climb at the front is a good one. Then you are less likely to get dropped by a lot.

Hang in there and keep going. Your description of not being exactly sure why you go is funny. I can totally relate to that!

TAW
05-07-2007, 10:49 AM
It seems to be true that the first part of a race is always twitchy, but it's good advice to stay near the front, even if it costs you a little effort. Typically the pace evens out after a while, and will give you some time to recover. And since the accordion effect happens less at the front, your effort evens out more so you're not wasting energy having to catch up all the time.