PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale CAD-9 Advice...

trophyoftexas
05-06-2007, 08:55 PM
....messing around a bike shop today and noticed some nice CAAD-9 frames hanging on the wall. I've never really considered one of these but recent rainy days have made me give thought to building up a frame set into strictly a "rain bike." These seems like a very likely prospect to work with especially since I've got just about enough spare components around here to do the build with only having to purchase a couple, or maybe one, dr....was priced to me with Cannondale Preminum fork for less than $400.00....sounded like a VERY good price to me....any thoughts on the deal and on the product would be appreciated....thanks!

shinomaster
05-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Ummm...my caad4 frame was $300 and worth every penny. I would say that is an amazing deal on a great frame that you may want to ride when it isn't raining.

trophyoftexas
05-07-2007, 06:18 AM
...this back to the top as I'd really like to get a little more feedback on this potential project...also because I may have a chance to purchase several of these in several different sizes if other forum members are interested. $400.00 seems like a heck of a good deal on these to me but I'm pretty "Cannoondale Ignorant" so outside information is greatly appreciated!

jhcakilmer
05-07-2007, 06:20 AM
That's a great price, and I think you would really enjoy the bike. Very complient ride, and not has harsh as other aluminum frames.....kind of surprising. Nicely snappy, and great power transfer!
If there are any 60cm frames, grab be me one.. ;)

LegendRider
05-07-2007, 06:46 AM
I have a CAAD9 and it's an excellent frame. My primary rig is a custom Parlee Z1x, so my benchmark is high. Nevertheless, the Cannondale is very good and I'd be perfectly happy if it were my only bike. Sure, the Parlee is smoother and the details are better (ti dropouts, etc.), but the CAAD9 has got to be the best value in cycling. Plus $400 is a GREAT price.

Ray
05-07-2007, 06:48 AM
I don't know much about how they'd ride or handle, but if its a race bike, I doubt seriously its got clearance for fenders or tires fatter than a 25 or so. What about this says 'rain bike'? I'd go for a sport touring bike or even a bike with racy geometry that'll let you stick fenders on it and maybe fatter rubber too.

I don't question the frame - no basis to - but I don't see what makes it a good rain bike.

Does it rain in Texas? I mean other than those occasional summer gully washers that NOTHING will keep you dry in?

-Ray

trophyoftexas
05-07-2007, 07:06 AM
I don't know much about how they'd ride or handle, but if its a race bike, I doubt seriously its got clearance for fenders or tires fatter than a 25 or so. What about this says 'rain bike'? I'd go for a sport touring bike or even a bike with racy geometry that'll let you stick fenders on it and maybe fatter rubber too.

I don't question the frame - no basis to - but I don't see what makes it a good rain bike.

Does it rain in Texas? I mean other than those occasional summer gully washers that NOTHING will keep you dry in?

-Ray

Yeah, we get a drizzle on occasion, like TODAY! "Rain bike" to me means something that I don't care enough about to worry about the bike itself...anything I've got fenders on is NOT going out in a rain....CAUGHT in the rain is something else....most of my fender-bikes are steel and not something I'd do 30-40 on in the rain anyway, this CAAD-9 thing on the other hand and at this price would be something I'd ride in a pretty heavy rain and simply not worry about at all, heck, I'm getting wet anyway so fenders are not an issue on what I take out in that kind of weather. Thanks for the input!

ergott
05-07-2007, 07:07 AM
I'd get one as a race bike. That's one nice frameset. I'm thinking about a Centaur build.

trophyoftexas
05-07-2007, 07:47 AM
I'd get one as a race bike. That's one nice frameset. I'm thinking about a Centaur build.

Yeah, Centaur or Chorus would probably be my choice. I just had a really nice set of Heliums re-laced with brand new Helium clincher rims, I'm thinking they would be just about a dead-on match for color!

ergott
05-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Yeah, Centaur or Chorus would probably be my choice. I just had a really nice set of Heliums re-laced with brand new Helium clincher rims, I'm thinking they would be just about a dead-on match for color!

Saeco red frames??

trophyoftexas
05-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Saeco red frames??
I don't know enough about Saeco frames or C-dale frames to know about this question. They were done up for the lbs team and are pretty much identical to the red CAAD-9 that C-dale shows under that link on their web site....all I can say is they really caught my eye and I'm not sure why I never noticed them before as I'm in this place at least 2-3 times a month, maybe more....I guess I'm like a deer, never looked UP!