PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam bicycle adventure

Karin Kirk
05-06-2007, 03:20 PM
After all the nice recommendations I picked up here, I have got to tell you all about the remarkable day we had. I am visiting here with my Mom. We’ve been intrepid travel partners since I was in high school, and we always manage to have fun, get along great and have interesting and sometimes chaotic adventures. She is 69, which is impossible to believe because she is more daring, energetic and enthusiastic than most 30-somethings.

This was our second visit to Amsterdam and this time we wanted to do some sightseeing by bicycle. Based on the recommendations I got here from Cees, Michael and others we opted to head north of Amsterdam to the Waterland region. I didn’t want to spend all our energy biking from Amsterdam out to the Waterland, so we took a bus partway there and planned to rent bikes for a day tour of the area.

Our day started out with several setbacks. First off, Mom was nervous because she hadn’t really ridden a bike in 30 years or so. I sort of shrugged that off, thinking that according to the cliché, one never forgets how to ride a bicycle. Next, just getting ourselves from Amsterdam to the bike shop in Monnickendam was totally confusing. It took a few tries just to locate the correct place to catch the bus in Amsterdam, then we got off at the wrong stop because the bus driver was certain that as tourists, we must want to go to the more touristy town of Marken. After missing our stop, we got off at the next stop and we figured we’d walk back to where we needed to go. We were flustered while getting off the bus and poor Mom tripped off the curb and fell to the pavement. A kind gentleman asked if she was OK (she was, thankfully) and also gave us approximate directions to the bike shop. After nosing around a bit, we found the bike shop just as they were closing up for lunch. We were able to rent our bicycles, but they took no care in getting us set up properly so Mom’s bike was way too big for her. She’s about 5’1” and she was on the same size bike as I was (5’9”). Even with the seat all the way down, she couldn’t touch the ground while seated in the saddle. Next we tried to find a map to plan out our route but we couldn’t find a shop that sold maps and also no one seemed to speak English. Oh well, we figured we’d just wing it. We wobbled our way through the narrow, brick streets of the gorgeous town. We came to the edge of town and hooked up with the bike path, a lovely, two-lane paved affair. Off we went, feeling like we just might survive this after all.

About two minutes later, two women on rollerblades were heading toward us, one of whom is pushing a baby stroller. Of course they took up the whole bike path. I squeezed past them, but I looked back just in time to see poor Mom veer off the edge of the path and down the grassy embankment into the nettles. I was utterly horrified, thinking that I’ve killed my Mom and how much the rest of the family was going to be upset with me. Of course we weren’t wearing helmets or anything, and I was prepared for the worst. But Mom was OK, just rattled and embarrassed. We dragged the bike back up to the path and she insisted that she wanted to continue. She had a skinned knee, but I’m not sure if that was from the bus stop wipeout or this one, but either way, she would not allow any fussing over her and she said she was just glad she didn’t knock over the baby carriage.

OK, we continued on, both feeling pretty nervous about all of this. Shortly after that, the bike path popped out on top of a long dyke and we had a terrific view of the water, the wetlands and our planned route to Marken. The route looked pretty ambitious, especially considering that we’d already encountered so much trouble. But things got better from there. The riding was uneventful, thank goodness, and our confidence grew over time. The landscape was lovely, with water and sailboats on one side and on the other side were pastures with contented cows, plump sheep with tiny lambs, and many families of geese and ducks. All of the animals appeared to be especially peaceful and happy. On the horizon were many wind turbines zipping around, which made me worry about the headwinds we were going to encounter. But nonetheless, the windmills were super cool to watch.

The last stretch to our destination was across a narrow causeway that has water on both sides. We both worried that it would be windy, too narrow, or otherwise scary, but it wasn’t at all. In fact it was terrifically neat. We cruised into the tiny town of Marken feeling triumphant. From there we continued out to a lonely lighthouse and more views of the surrounding water.

We opted to go back the way we came, instead of taking a ferry and making a loop. We figured we’d had enough adventure for one day, and going back the way we came seemed like a sure bet, and the scenery was hard to beat. We zipped back, aided by a brisk tailwind, and we felt better and happier with each mile. By the time we turned in our bikes, Mom was already planning our next trip to explore further. Maybe a multi-day tour, she suggested. I am so impressed that she survived the day in grand style, and not only that, but she is already planning on our next advenure. I was thinking, as we were riding along, that this was a day we’ll be talking about for the rest of our lives. I was also thinking about Skrawny’s Mom and all the good advice to spend quality time with one’s family, and how lucky we are to have these experiences together. On this day we lived life to its fullest! And even though we were shaky at times, it was a truly great experience. Many thanks for the advice and encouragement from forum members to undertake this bicycle adventure!

Yesterday we traveled from hectic Amsterdam to serene Zurich (wow, what a contrast between those two airports) and today we are having a peaceful day on the Bodensee. On Monday we’ll rent bikes here, so stay tuned for more adventures, but hopefully no more crashes!

Karin Kirk
05-06-2007, 03:30 PM
I have some photos to post, but I can't seem to upload them. I'll try again later.

ada@prorider.or
05-06-2007, 04:42 PM
good you had nice time

no one seemed to speak English. strange in netherlands they sould speak english (just kidding)

if you called me i would have arranged some bike's
but any way its good you had nice time
you also did
broek in waterland?

you surely had nice weather to ride a bike
cees

Louis
05-06-2007, 04:56 PM
By the time we turned in our bikes, Mom was already planning our next trip to explore further. Maybe a multi-day tour, she suggested.

Know anyone in the frame-manufacturing business who might be able to set her up with a better fitting bike?

Glad to hear that your story had a happy ending. Sounds like your mother has a lot more adventures in her future.

Louis

Kevan
05-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for your PM, I'm looking forward to my visit next weekend.

You didn't happen to break any of the attractions or museums there did you?

michael white
05-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Karin,

a wonderful post! but that sounds like a bit too much excitement!

I have ridden that same bike path a couple of times, and also the littler towns inland of there, which Cees mentions, which I can't spell. Once in Marken I happened to be arriving just as they were having their annual Herring Festival, and I loved hanging around and watching the funny things people were doing, in addition to eating lots of herring.

When I was talking about the strong wind, that was exactly the path I meant, exposed next to the Zuiderzee. Sometimes it's so strong out there it takes all your strength just to keep moving forward. Glad that didn't happen with your mom out there!

best,
mw

michael white
05-06-2007, 07:32 PM
One other question, Karin. When you were in Monekkendam (sorry for the wretched spelling) did you happen to see the Glockenspiel? Do you know what I am talking about, in the clock tower? it's a lovely one, as I recall, but the thing is that I believe it's the oldest operating Glockenspiel in the world. Just a bit of trivia you might find interesting.

fiamme red
05-06-2007, 10:22 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB117823466296891497-lMyQjAxMDE3NzA4NDIwMzQ0Wj.html

Karin Kirk
05-07-2007, 02:54 AM
One other question, Karin. When you were in Monekkendam (sorry for the wretched spelling) did you happen to see the Glockenspiel? Do you know what I am talking about, in the clock tower? it's a lovely one, as I recall, but the thing is that I believe it's the oldest operating Glockenspiel in the world. Just a bit of trivia you might find interesting.

Yes, we saw the 'spelltoren' (wrong spelling, I am sure). In fact that was our landmark as we were trying to find the bike shop. It is very elaborate. I didn't know it was the oldest one remaining, that's impressive.

Mom did eat the pickeld herring, but I am not a seafood fan, so I had ice cream instead :)

No Kevan, we didn't break anything valuable. We'll leave that to you on your visit. People over there seem to be protective of those Van Gogh paintings, so please be careful of those!

Cees, believe me, our attempt at speaking Dutch would have made people clamp their hands over their ears. We just got spoiled that in Amsterdam everyone speaks great English. I'll admit I am a typical ugly American when it comes to languages. Next time we go, we'll have to hook up with you for bikes and routes. This time was just a sampling, but we had enough fun to want to go back again!

ada@prorider.or
05-07-2007, 06:44 AM
Cees, believe me, our attempt at speaking Dutch would have made people clamp their hands over their ears. !

i was just kidding you

most people in holland speak english ,or german but older people might not speak english well
hence at school (thats middle school) you learn 3 language's

dutch english (or france) and german and at some places like friesland fries

at least that was when i went to school (ok that was long time ago)

Hardlyrob
05-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Karin;

Thanks for the wonderful post - reminds me of the last time we were in the Netherlands, and makes me want to go back soon!

Cheers!

Rob

Kevan
05-10-2007, 02:59 AM
plenty of rain.

Too Tall
05-10-2007, 06:47 AM
Kev....picture of the day dewd :)

Karin - You are bloody brilliant to spend time with mom. Go to heaven twice!!!

Bernie
05-10-2007, 03:57 PM
How lucky you are to have such adventures with your mom. Keep it up, as time passes so quickly.

Some 30 years ago I was living in Germany and tried to arrange a bike trip from there to the Netherlands with a group of friends. Literally a dozen folks initially said they would go, ended up all backing out except for me and three hardy women. The best bike trip I've ever been on in my life. We drove from Germany to the Netherlands with 4 bikes on top and all our gear in my little car. We arranged to do several one day loops of out and back and then drove to the next days venue. We stayed in bed and breakfast like places without any reservations and had no problems. lunch was wherever we ended up at the time on the bikes, and dinners were eaten out at local establishments. One of the women spoke french, I spoke german, and one of the women spoke spanish, so mostly we had the bases covered language wise.

One day we did a route that took us thru and around the tulip gardens in southern holland and spent nearly half a day in the Keukenhof gardens on the last day of the tulip season. They were harvesting the tulip flowers to save the bulbs and giving away tulip flowers by the armfuls. Magnificent flowers in every color imaginable. Another day we rode around Amsterdam. Spent one day riding in northern holland through the area where the British launched their invasion during WWII, then spent a day riding on one of the dikes/causeways across the zuiderzee.

I had one of the most rewarding times of my youth, purely on a whim and with very little advance planning. Keep that willingness to take on an adventure alive!

Bernie

Lifelover
05-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Sounds amazing! I wish I could get my wife to do it but your mom at 69 having the guts to even consider it says allot about who she is! WOW!

I hope your experience with the people went better overall than it seemed to that day. Your post kinda of reinforced the stereotype I have of Europeans.

Avispa
05-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Karin,

Great post after all the other stuff we have been reading...

Your prose is great and no wonder you are such a sport! It must be because of your mom.

Best of luck and have fun the rest of your trip!

Regards,

A.

Kevan
05-11-2007, 02:53 AM
a little too much fun.

Karin Kirk
05-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Just got back from a soujourn to the Swiss Alps - and I can add some photos from Holland...

ada@prorider.or
05-11-2007, 05:42 PM
nice pics

if you looked otherside of the water
you meaby could see my house !

michael white
05-11-2007, 06:30 PM
your mom actually looks pretty tough . . .

David Kirk
05-11-2007, 07:51 PM
No helmets. Hmm? I get the stink eye if I want to ride without a helmet here at home.

Must be a Euro thing.

Come home soon.

Dave

Louis
05-11-2007, 07:58 PM
your mom actually looks pretty tough . . .

Yes, but her stem is too ... :p

OK, we don't need to go there.

Samster
05-11-2007, 08:18 PM
not to hijack the thread, but just got back from italy/france/switzerland on a family roadtrip with our gps unit and a rented ford maverick. highlight was a bike ride from downtown florence to the piazzale michelangelo. i found the general climate in italy as Karin described in her experience. found france to be much friendlier than the other countries visited. encountered much local cynicism re: basso/puerto situation... i think... given limited skills in both italian and french. if you go to florence, don't miss the ufizi. ciao regazzi!